Moving Up The Stakes - A Micro Stakes Poker Blog

• AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze

Hey everyone, my name is Lou from NY, USA! While I have been playing poker for the last 20 years, now is the first time I am taking it seriously.

I wasn't playing online back when Black Friday hit here in the states so online poker is still new to me. A few months ago a new poker site was introduced to us called Global Poker. They use this sweepstakes model which makes it legal here, and they are a US only site which is run out of Australia. The thing that attracted me to them is they pay out using PayPal.

They are a web based site and they do not support huds or trackers which is disappointing however it does put everyone on an even playing field.

I wanted to do a blog here because I think it will be a great way to keep myself accountable while sharing some hands and other mental aspects of my game. I'm excited for this journey I started earlier this month and I'm excited to share it with the PokerStrategy community.

I am currently playing NL10. In my first official game play post I will post my bankroll, and will share the ups and downs of it daily. I will also be sharing hand videos as well!

So thanks for reading! Any and all feedback positive or negative is more than welcome!
  • 7 replies
    • AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze
      With no tracking software for this site, I can still get video of my hands. I'm posting this more as a test, but here is a hand I played very wrong last night... with a triple barrel that might have been to aggressive given the board.

https://play.globalpoker.com/poker-client/poker/10/hand/599f04e7e4b050b55566f27a

I'm at lunch now but just looking over my session yesterday. I have had 5 losing days in a row and it's hands like this that show I have not been on my A game. Yesterday was frustrating because I was up $10 at one point and feeling good, but it went downhill and this hand was the nail in the coffin for me!

That being said I think I'm on the right mindset heading into later tonight...

Also as a side now, I started the 6 Max Hand Reading workbook by Jim Splitsuit Sweeney and I love it so far!
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by ldmariodl28

I wasn't playing online back when Black Friday hit here in the states so online poker is still new to me. A few months ago a new poker site was introduced to us called Global Poker. They use this sweepstakes model which makes it legal here, and they are a US only site which is run out of Australia. The thing that attracted me to them is they pay out using PayPal.
      Aussies are clever. Not only did they come up with the idea, they also have patent protection and being whitelisted by PayPal is huge.

I wanted to do a blog here because I think it will be a great way to keep myself accountable while sharing some hands and other mental aspects of my game. I'm excited for this journey I started earlier this month and I'm excited to share it with the PokerStrategy community.
      You should also consider entering our Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Opt-in now!.

There is no time limit and you could win a status upgrade just for being an active participant.

I am currently playing NL10. In my first official game play post I will post my bankroll, and will share the ups and downs of it daily. I will also be sharing hand videos as well!

So thanks for reading! Any and all feedback positive or negative is more than welcome!
      What is traffic like? I have heard that they currently only accept US players.

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze
      Hey Lazza, thanks for the reply! I will absolutely sign up for the bankroll challenge.

I agree about the paypal thing. The fact that paypal approved them legitimized them for me, and made it feel safe. Prior to this move to online poker I have been playing Daily Fantasy Sports, which if your not aware is fantasy sports for money, which has a very poker style feel to it, because its done on a daily basis.. with Cash games and Tournaments. While I really enjoyed DFS, there is such a limited edge, because there are so many advice sites out there, telling the fish the best plays.. so you had to do so much daily research just to stay ahead of the masses.. I work a 9-5 job and this became a chore.

As for the amount of players on Global Poker, as I write this right now at 12:19 AM Eastern Time there are 146 Holdem Tables being played & 38 Omaha tables being played.

At NL10 right now there are 18 6 Max tables being played and 3 Full Ring tables.. So while its a new site, there is a decent amount of traffic to start.

They are catering to a casual audience, doing most of their advertising on sites like Facebook and Instagram.. and they are animate about not allowing Huds to keep it a place casual players will want to play. I just hope it doesnt get to big, because knowing our government, they will eventually want a piece of the pie...
    • AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze
      Day 1 - 8/25/2017

So as I mentioned before I work a normal 9-5 job. I work in the insurance industry as an Underwriter in a boring grey cubicle. So as you can imagine my mind wanders alot during the day, and these days im pretty much thinking about poker 24/7. Once this site became available and I started to study poker, I knew this is something I could be good at with work.. but I know it will take a lot of work to get good, and alot of patience.

I have watched so many videos here on Poker Strategy along with some other sites.. am practicing hand reading, and watching so many youtube videos and listening to countless podcasts... (Side note, if you have any podcasts you recommend, please let me know!

My goal with Poker is long term. I am 39 years old, and I want poker to end up being a second source of income. I make good money at my job, so I am not looking to be a professional, however living in NY, extra money would be nice.. However im not looking for extra money now. I am looking to build an honest bankroll starting now, that I can use when im in my 50s and hopefully by then make it a profession when im ready to retire. So I will not be touching my poker bankroll for at least 10-15 years. This month starts this journey, and its one im excited about, because I know if I put my heart and soul into it I can do it!

So normally my blog posts wont be to long (at least I dont think), but since this is still introductory I wanted to share some things.

As I mentioned above I was playing Daily Fantasy Sports, so this is how I started my bankroll. I have started my bankroll at around $400. Currently as of today it sits at $427.18

Going into today I have been on what I would consider my first real downswing as you can see from the chart below...

Today I focused on watching videos and podcasts about how to deal with downswings.. but what hit me the best was when I decided to watch a bunch of hands from my session yesterday and including hands I wasnt in to see how the players at NL10 were playing. I noticed something very interesting that I dont think I have noticed before.. these players love chasing draws. I figured I can use this to my advantage in my session tonight. It helped me remember how I made my profit go up in the first place. I saw that I was playing extremely Nitty, and that kind of play was hurting me. My mindset was "Oh he must have the nuts", and this was on so so many hands... So tonight I got back to my A game, and I felt great!

So in an effort to keep this blog interesting, I dont want to say everything in one post.. so I can unveil different things I do with each post. One thing I will say though is right now I am focusing on playing one table. I have tried to multi table with mixed results, but I feel that right now as I still learn the game, it would be better for me to play one table and work on all aspects of my game, from hand reading, to reading players, which takes concentration since there is no hud. I have to rely on what I see, and the notes I take.

Tonight I played for about 2 hours and played a total of 163 hands (I keep track of this myself on a spreadsheet since there is no tracker available for this site)

I am happy to say I had a positive night and finished up $5.94. While this may not seem alot, anything above $0 I am happy about considering how awful it was for me. Like I said before I got back to my A game, and focused in on playing smarter.

All in all I switched around and played a total of 5 differnt tables. The reason for this is Global Poker doesnt have a Zoom option, so when the 6 max tables fall down to 3 players, I get off the table. That being said the one table I was at the longest actually wasnt very fishy at all.. it was mostly regs. I decided to stay at this table just because I wanted to get a feel for a game where people played the game right, as opposed to the crazy things the fish do, or the super loose players. Overall I finished down .89 at that table, but it was a fun experience to practice my hand reading skills and practice good sound play.

So to close out my blog for the night as its getting late here.. Each blog I will post a hand from the night, most nights im sure it will be a losing hand. In the hand I will also include my thoughts during the hand. The remainder of the blog for tonight can be found in the spoiler below. Feel free to comment on the hand, and thanks for reading!

If you would like to watch the hand in real time, you can follow the link below, or you can just read it. I have to type out the hands since there is no tracker.

https://play.globalpoker.com/poker-client/poker/10/hand/599fac4de4b050b55566f5c7

Stack Sizes
      UTG - $10.23
      MP - $10
      CU - $11.89
      BU - $11.27
      SB - $14.91
      BB (HERO) - $10.36

HERO Dealt :Jh: :6h:

UTG - Fold
      MP - Raise .20
      CO - Fold
      BU Call .20
      SB Call .15
      BB - Call .10

So the reason I called here is because it was a min raise, and I am ok with calling a min raise with suited cards, especially in the big blind

TOTAL POT (.80)

FLOP

:8h: :Js: :7s:

SB Checks
      BB (HERO) Bets .60
      MP Folds
      BU Calls .60
      SB Folds

I was happy to see the Jack here, so even though I was out of position I decided I wanted to make a large bet here at 75%. I was of course hoping to get everyone to fold, but we have one player. Of course my concern is there are two spades on the flop, and like I have mentioned before, these people love chasing draws..

TOTAL POT ($2.00)

TURN: :8h: :Js: :7s: :5s:

BB (HERO) - Check
      BU - Check

So there it is, the 3rd spade!! Well of course I have to check here, because I am thinking that either my opponent has a higher Jack then me after he calls, or he hit a flush. Sure he could have any 8 as well. I dont have a great feel for this opponent yet because he is new to the table and I have no notes on him. When he checks back to me, I now feel good he doesnt have the flush. Yes I have seen people check the Turn when they hit a flush, but my gut told me on this one he checked because he didnt have it, and it really made me start to think that he has nothing.. but yes, I made an major error in thinking here, and you will see now on the River!

TOTAL POT ($2.00)

RIVER: :8h: :Js: :7s: :5s: :Td:

BB (HERO) bets $1.50
      BU Calls $1.50

Great he called! I hope he doesnt have two pair. I feel like thats all that will beat me now!

BU Shows - :9h: :4h:

Well $(&*#@, why did I not notice a possible straight! All he needed was a 9 for it, and he hit that on the river! I will have to admit, this is a weakness of mine, seeing straights. I know it must sound strange, but im working on my brain to notice the numbers out of sequence, and I never even thought of this board being one off from a straight! When I lost this pot I wasnt upset, I was just laughing that I didnt notice this. If I had noticed a possible straight I would have absolutely checked. My guess is he would have given a healthy bet and I would have folded knowing that these players rarely bluff on the river. One thing I was right about though, is he was chasing a draw, I just wasnt thinking he was chasing a straight draw.

• AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze
      So last night I finished up playing NL10 for 118 hands $3.84.

I try to play multi table and I have trouble concentrating which is why right now I prefer to play one table so I can give it my A game. Of course this means playing maybe 60-80 hands per our at 6 max. I would like to start making a little more money though which makes me want to do one of two things..

Practice Multi Tabling or adjusting my BR requirements.

Last night I decided to open up 4 tables at NL4 and lost $4.92 in 170 hands. I just dont feel comfortable with this.. even two tables at times can get stressful because when I have two hands playing at the same time, with a 15 second time bank, I dont give my hand reading and logical thinking enough.. well thought.

So I decided to adjust my BR management. I have a full time job as you know, so this isnt my living. I had it set at 25 buy ins, but decided to drop it to 20 buy ins and play right now at NL20

My current win rate is 6.25 so I feel comfortable making this adjustment, so my new BR mgmt plan is as follows.

My BR is $431.18

NL4 - BR Req - $60
      NL10 - BR Req - $200
      NL20 - BR Req - $400
      NL50 - BR Req - $1000
      NL100 - BR Req - $2000
      NL200 - BR Req - $4000
    • AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze
      Well my first day at NL20 was a success. I was able to play 138 hands before the McGregor/Mayweather fight tonight. I ended up $11.95. The nice thing was I felt right at home at these stakes, like I was playing NL10. The difference in money being passed around didnt effect my game.

The one thing I did notice in NL20 which I didnt see much of in NL10 was the amount of 3 betting going on. It seemed people were more agressive in 3 betting, but thanks to the tutorials here on Poker Strategy, I have a system in place for calling 3 bets.

In fact I think this would be a good time to show you my calculator I created in Excel for my poker math.

With my calculator, I am able to calculate pot odds, see the differnt bets based on the pot size for me to use (25%, 50%, 66% and 75%), a raise calculator and also a way to show me if I should call a 3 bet.

For example, lets say I have KQs, I would plug "KQs" into the spreadsheet and the spreadsheet tells me this hand has around 37.28% equity vs a range that I think would 3 bet me. I had pre-installed these Equities for all hands that I would consider calling a 3 bet into my spreadsheet. Then I calculate the difference of the bet with the pot ((Raise Amount-My Bet/Total Pot)), and if the % of that is lower than the equity for my cards I call. This is super helpful to me when deciding if I will call a 3 bet or not.

I also have a BB left calculator for when I play Sit N Gos and MTTs which I will play from time to time.

So my BR after today is at $443.02
      $11.95 Cash - $.11 for MTT Freeroll (which I didnt cash in)

So for my hand of the day, im going to share one I posted in the no limit hand discussion forum. Its a hand I feel I might have stayed to long on, but you be the judge.

Thanks for reading!

Hand Of The Day In Spoiler

NL20 - Did I hold On To My Hand To Long, Or Do You Agree With My Post Flop Play

I will type out the hand as I play on Global Poker here in the US, but feel free to watch the hand as well
      https://play.globalpoker.com/poker-client/poker/10/hand/59a20b7ae4b050b55566fcf7

Stack Sizes
      UTG - 215.40 BB
      MP (HERO) - 83.45 BB
      CO - 43.15 BB
      BU - 13.95 BB
      SB - 49 BB
      BB - 32.5 BB

HERO Dealt - :Kd: :Td:
      SB Posts .5 BB
      BB Posts 1 BB
      UTG - Folds
      MP (HERO) - Raise 3 BB
      CO - Fold
      BU - Raise 5 BB
      SB - Fold
      BB - Call 4 BB
      MP (HERO) - Calls 2 BB

TOTAL POT - 15.5 BB

FLOP
      :Qd: :Ad: :4h:

BB - Check
      MP (Hero) - Bets 11.65 BB
      BU Calls (ALL IN) - 8.95 BB
      BB - Calls 11.65 BB

TOTAL POT - 42.35 BB Main; 5.4 BB Side = Total 47.75 BB

TURN
      :Qd: :Ad: :4h: :6h:

BB - Bets (ALL IN) - 16.85 BB
      MP (HERO) - Calls 16.85 BB

TOTAL POT - 42.35 BB Main; 39.1 Side = Total 81.45 BB

Rest Of Hand In Spoiler

All Players Show Hands
      BB Shows :As: :6c:
      BU Shows :Kh: :Qh:

RIVER:
      :Qd: :Ad: :4h: :6h: :8s:

MP Heros Has Ace High
      BU has Ace High
      BB Wins Pair of Aces

So as you can see by the results the BB wins by myself and the BU chasing flushes. So simple, do you agree with my line here, or would you have gotten out after the first all in.

I stayed in because I had a nice shot at the nut flush and the nut straight, so I felt like it was worth the bets here because I had so many outs. Do you agree?

• SDK1987
      SDK1987
      How is everything going the last couple of weeks?

Cheers,
      SDK1987