Stack
      UTG2:
      $19.47
      CO:
      $8.44
      Hero:
      $9.70

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:club: , A:heart:
      UTG2 calls $0.10, 3 folds, CO raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.70, 3 folds, CO calls $0.50.

Flop: ($1.65) Q:diamond: , 8:diamond: , 6:diamond: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $1.60, CO calls $1.60.

Turn: ($4.85) 7:heart: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero checks.

River: ($4.85) J:diamond: (2 players)
      CO bets $1.90, Hero calls $1.90.

Final Pot: $8.65

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of aces (Ac Ah)
      CO shows a flush, queen high (Tc Td)

CO wins with a flush, queen high (Tc Td)

Thoughts:
      I think preflop was ok.
      On the flop I stuck out a big bet to try and get a sense of where I was at. I figured it might push off anyone with 1 diamond, a re-raise would probably mean a flush and I'd have to fold out of there.

The turn I am not sure about, I elected for some pot control rather than protection. Is this the right move or are aces often ahead here?

Obviously the river is very bad. Looks like someone has a flush but I make the crying call if slightly a tilted action.
  • 5 replies
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Preflop is very good.

Flop is good too.

On Turn you cant be scared of flush since the chances of that are very low, and you cant sit on your thumbs waiting for a 4th diamond. So bet near pot size.

On River its a fold for me. The bet size looks like he wants you to call, or its a blockbet. In either case you lose.
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Yep, you needed to jam on the turn :) Jam and pray. The guy made a naer to donkey call on the flop but you made it into a good call by donating a free card on the turn.

The only likely hand that would have sandbag called you down rather than kicking at you would have been suited with A :diamond: . You have to decide for yourself what the chances of that are; id have decided to call it "remote" and continued as if playing against a flush chaser. A villain with say K9D doesnt want to give you a cheap ride at drawing him out with an A-high 4 carder, and will re-raise your flop bet or bet out at you on the turn.

Even a hidden set would not sandbag at you there, as they could not possibly improve to the flush. Theyd be overbetting for all they are worth to push you out themselves.

So, as the villain was only calling, you could conclude with high probability that they were chasing down that 4th diamond, and jam the pot to make em pay for it :)
    • sliggy
      sliggy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      Preflop is very good.

Flop is good too.

On Turn you cant be scared of flush since the chances of that are very low, and you cant sit on your thumbs waiting for a 4th diamond. So bet near pot size.

On River its a fold for me. The bet size looks like he wants you to call, or its a blockbet. In either case you lose.
      This.
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Yes I see there aren't very many hands that have made the flush already that would still be in the hand after my raise. I guess most A-rags of diamonds would fold to a raise unless they were really bad.

Should've jammed turn I guess. Cheers for the help!
    • srohack
      srohack
      Bronze
      hi
      the turn is a realy bad card . it completes a lot of 2 pair/ straights hands
      since he is so passive and rather lose its a good spot to bet / fold . you can still get value from draws and hands like pocket pairs but when he raises he has you . if you get called you can check behind alot of turns
      as played i would fold on the river . it doesnt look he wanna fold your hand he probably has a flush
      gl