[NL2-NL10] NL10 FR (SSS) J,J - overpair - misbet

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      MP2:
      $11.17
      CO:
      $2.68
      SB:
      $10.80
      UTG+1:
      $10.65
      UTG+2:
      $10.83
      MP1:
      $1.85
      MP3:
      $2
      Hero:
      $2.10
      BB:
      $2.24

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:diamond: , J:heart:
      5 folds, CO calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.50, 2 folds, CO calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.15) 8:club: , 2:heart: , 6:diamond: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $0.75, CO calls $0.75.

Turn: ($2.65) 4:spade: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $0.85 (All-In), CO calls $0.85.

River: ($4.35) Q:diamond:

Final Pot: $4.35

Often in this situation. Pre-flop villain calls my raise which convinces me he's limping in with a big hand. When the flop comes I have a made hand - top pair, overcards. But it feels like I'm making a standard continuation bet that I'd make if I hadn't hit the flop. So when he calls that as well I'm in a quandry as to what to do. Should I have just pushed on the flop to prevent villain seeing the cards he needed?
  • 5 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hey Tim,

You can call this an "overpair" ;)

2/3 potsize c-bet here is perfectly fine imo. The board is really dry. Sometimes it will happen that villaing limped with a monster (in this case it is worthy to make a note) or he will call you with nothing and hit some absurd hand till river. But you'll be definitely playing +EV here with your JJ, so don't worry.
    • williamtywong
      williamtywong
      Bronze
      But it feels like I'm making a standard continuation bet that I'd make if I hadn't hit the flop. So when he calls that as well I'm in a quandry as to what to do. Should I have just pushed on the flop to prevent villain seeing the cards he needed?
      hey tim, yeah, i often find myself tempted to rush in this situation as well. but now that i've thought it through a little bit more, I find it's a good thing that a 2/3 bet will just look like a cbet. Firstly, in cases like this, if someone puts me on a bluff, and calls, i'm usually way ahead. Ultimately, my opponents at the table wont' know whether i'm bluffing, or whether i actually have a made hand (since I play them both the same). This "table image" will probably increase your fold equity when u actually cbet with trash.

I think you should definitely be betting 2/3 only at flop and looking to maximize value.

Oh, and bet/push on the turn as played. nh.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Ok, guys. Thanks for that. It's far too easy to start doubting yourself everytime you get a bad beat. :(

Cheers for backing me up.

Tim
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Played "by the book".

Nice hand, no need to doubt yourself here. ;)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Tim64,

Standard betting line & action so you should got a bad beat nevertheless you play good and that's what counts! :)

Best regards,
      Gerv