Stack
      SB:
      $30.10
      Hero:
      $9.25
      BU:
      $71.75

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:heart: , A:heart:
      6 folds, BU raises to $1.50, SB calls $1.25, Hero raises to $9.25 (All-In), BU folds, SB calls $7.75.

Flop: ($20.00) T:spade: , T:heart: , K:diamond:
      Turn: ($20.00) 6:heart:
      River: ($20.00) J:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.00

I have no sample size on BU, but usually against unknown I resteal with 88+,AJ+ (or when not sure than 99+,AQ+) but that SB call confused me a bit, what to do here?

Jenoc
  • 7 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      i think he is very passive with 27/5 so his raise may mean something. you also have no sample size and AJ is way too weak to resteal without stats IMO. I did this a lot of times before and it proved to be very ineffective.

I think 88+/AQ+ is a decent range to resteal.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      AJ+ works just fine as a resteal range(squeeze in this case) imo, specially against 33/12. Nh.
    • allizdoR
      allizdoR
      Bronze
      I would resteal this hand too.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Here's a dumb question I've been meaning to ask for a while:

A re-steal is effectively a re-raise, correct? Now, the SHC for SSS tell you never to re-raise with A,J, regardless of position. Ditto A,Q or T,T etc.

Given this, how can you ever know that BU isn't just making a standard raise with a good hand (e.g. K,K) unless you have stats that show villain is an inveterate pot-stealer. What I mean is, it seems it's only the fact that it's BU who is raising that makes one even consider a re-raise with hands you would ordinarily just fold with.

To put it simply, how do you know a steal is really a steal? And if you don't, aren't you just taking a bit of a gamble of the sort we beginner short-stackers are always being told off for? :tongue:

By the way, absolutely no criticism intended by this. It's just that I'm often so tempted to re-raise when I think someone's trying to steal my BB and I have to sit on my hands to stop myself doing it... :(
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      There's always a luck factor in poker, BUT...

...most, I mean almost everyone raises more hands from late position, also many raise even looser when first to act in late position and for this reason you can also 3-bet looser(resteal). Of course from time to time opponents will also have monsters, but what important is is the fact that you beat their raising range when you push... ...and AJ is ahead of ordinary openraiser from LP.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Jenoc,

When a SB calls, he doesn't have a strong hand to 3bet the BTN stealer OR he sometimes calls with a monster but this involves level 3+ thinking and on NL50, I sometimes doubt this. Especially with SB stats.

So I instant-squeeze/shove this one with AJs, well played :)

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hey Burek,

Thanks for this. That makes sense.

Cheers!

T