[NL2-NL10] NL2 TT, Maximum Value?

• kingdippy2008
      Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with T:spade: , T:heart:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.08, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.24, CO calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.49) T:club: , 4:heart: , 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, CO calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.29) 5:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.36 (All-In), CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.29

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, tens (Ts Th)

Hero wins with three of a kind, tens (Ts Th)

Just wondering if this push is ok... i figured that a normal bet would be more than half my stack so thought pushing was the right idea. But could i have bet less to try and get a call?
  • 4 replies
    • soucy
      You still have to protect against a flushdraw so the push is definetly ok here. If he has anything like TPGK or so he will call anyway for "just 1 dollar".
    • Jaissica
      Were the Villain on a flush draw he had a 9/46 chance of drawing you out (19.6%).

With the pot $1.29 to give equal money cold calling EV was about 30c.

So were you wanting a flusher to call, the correct bet would have been around half pot (65c), definantly no more than 2/3rds ($1). Sure, you risk losing, but you otherwise give someone bad at math a chance to lose some more money to you.

If you bet 65c, villain's EV call is only 33c. If you bet $1, villain's EV call is 39c. With your $1.36, villain's EV call was 45c. You needed a flush chasing donk :)

You also need to factor in that while the villain being on a flush draw is possible its also not certain. Id have put the CO on two pics / ace pic to have raised then cold called (bigger pockets should have pushed back at you, and you have the drop on them in any case after hitting your set, and your short stack doesnt give implied odds to an overpair set chaser. In that situation you want to offer that half pot bet or even an EV call to a flush drawer and give them a chance to get an all-in calling card (such as pairing their ace). Further, your EV bet could be taken as a weak bluff and get you calls / re-raise action from the aforementioned 2 pictures / ace picture holder.

Implied odds. If the flush falls, you can consider letting your set go. If the flush doesnt fall, you almost certainly cant lose - and the villain gets a chance to draw an overpair to call down your hidden set with.

edit to fix some stupid numbers.
    • TheBrood
      Villain looks bad and this is NL2 so I would bet less than pot, like 1.10. Betting all in is scary, even for a station.
    • srohack
      you can bet less then pot to not scare him and shove any turn
      the board is dry and he might get scared