Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $4,65
      CO:
      $9,65

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with J:diamond: , J:club:
      Hero raises to $1,00, 3 folds, CO raises to $2,90, 3 folds, Hero raises to $4,65 (All-In), CO calls $1,75.

Here villain has a midstack, but 6% PFR. If I put him on SSS range I'd have to fold my JJ to his reraise, as suggested in the silver article. Is this the case?
  • 8 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      just push. A 6% PFR will be something like 99+/AJ+
      if we give him a 3bet range of 5%, his range will include TT+/AQ+

SSS range is JJ/AK+ which is only 3% (AA,KK,QQ,AK,KA) = 5 out of 169
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Fold. I don't think a 6 PFR player will raise TT+/AQ+ to a UTG short stack. Standard range would be AK+ JJ+ imo, in which case you have to fold.

Of course you dont have that many hands, or it could be a bad player. But I like to assume the worst in these kinds of situations.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      sorry my bad i made a mistake.
      yes he would probably have AK/JJ+ for his early position range. i made the mistake of assuming that he has PFR 6% for early position as well.
    • jenoc
      jenoc
      Bronze
      Would like to add one more thing- many times I see that villain's with hand's like AK or AQ tend to 3bet SSS'ers putting them directly all-in, but with uber hands like QQ+ raise "normally". I mean, this looks really strange when he 3bet's leaving you with 2BB. But ofc. this can't be a general guideline, however I tend to fold here.

Jenoc
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      He's definitely not a solid SSS player because of his 13 VPIP, but nevertheless I believe folding JJ when raised by 6 PFR is correct. I don't see him being looser than AK/JJ+.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Dandy,

NL25 = Micro = basic SSS is the most +EV one since there are players who improve themselves thus changing styles.

Furthermore his stacksize says enough and 172 hands is not accurate enough for a 3-bet. Snooping off 33% of a PFR makes you lose more money because this is not an accurate method to give him a range!

I'd say shove :)

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hi Gerv,

Thanks for the advice. Would you perhaps suggest I do not use stats at all while in NL25? Or maybe it's fine to start using stats only for the most basic things such as steals or eventually recognising a solid SSS raise pre-flop?
      My initial idea was to get acquainted with stats during NL25 in order to start using it more proficiently when reaching Nl50+.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Using stats is fine but folding JJ against a guy with 172 hands is not fine.

I refer you to the Coaching review thread of Xarry where the amount of hands indicate the accuracy of a certain statistic :)

NL SSS Advanced by xarry2

- Gerv