Best and Worse Starting Hands in Texas Holdem

• darnell99
      darnell99
      Global
      The basic poker lesson is when to hold and when to fold. Knowing whether your initial deal is worth staying in the game or if you should call it a day, is one of the most important decisions to make at the beginning of the poker game. One of the most common beginner’s mistakes is holding onto the worst pair of hole cards instead of folding and protecting your money.

Therefore, if you are a novice poker player, one of the first things you should memorize is which initial hands are worth holding and which hands leaves you no choice but to fold. Since Texas Holdem is the most popular poker variation, here you can find lists of the best and the worth Holdem poker starting hands.

Best Poker Hands

If you are lucky to be dealt one of these initial hands, you are definitely having an excellent beginning:

Pair of Aces: as known as American Airlines or pocket rockets, it is the best possible Texas Holdem starting hand.

Pair of Kings: not as good as a pair of Aces but still an excellent way to open a game of Texas Holdem.

Pair of Queens: if you want to look at the bright side, you will be beaten only by Kings and Aces.

Ace and King: if they are of the same suit, your condition is even better, since you can form the nut flush at ease.

Pair of Jacks: unless the flop shows either a Queen, King or an Ace, you have decent chances of winning with this promising starting hand.

Ace and Queen: the same as Ace and King, a suited hand would increase your chances of stepping out as a winner.

King and Queen: unless the community cards contain an Ace, you are in a good shape with this starting hand and even better if it is suited

Ace and Jack: even if appears unsuited, this starting hand is still worth holding.

King and Jack: still one of the best Texas Holdem starting hands, but be careful with it, especially when unsuited.
      Ace and Ten: the Ace upgrades it to a pretty good hand, although requires a cautious play since it can be beaten by any of the starting hands mentioned above.

Worst Poker Hands

These hands would suit you well if you play some of the lowball variations, but if you play traditional Texas Holdem poker, the best advice would be to fold.

2 and 7: if you are dealt this hand, especially unsuited, you cannot even make a straight. Even if suited you should be so lucky to form a low flush or the lowest pair. In one word: fold.

2 and 8: same as the previous hand; pair of 8s is still a low pair.

3 and 7: although it can beat the previous hands, it still a worthless pair of cards

3 and 8: again, hardly even a low straight.

2 and 6: only if the community cards will feature 3, 4 and 5, you will have a chance of forming a straight. However, do not count on it, especially if there are more than 3 attendances in the game.

2 and 9: thanks to the presence of the 9 you are in better shape than with the former hands, still you cannot form a straight and even a pair of 9s would be beaten by pairs of 10s, Jacks, Queens, etc.

3 and 9: the same thing: higher than 8 lower than almost any other hand.

4 and 9: as mentioned above; foldem.

2 and 10: even though Doyle Brunson had won two WSOP bracelets with this starting hand, unless you have the talent and experience of Brunson, do not hold this hand.

5 and 9: also known as Dolly Parton, this hand would get you nowhere near the final table.

Ref. [Edited by Lazza61]
  • 17 replies
    • insomnia666
      insomnia666
      Gold
      You forgot Pokerstars AA. The worst hand. And you can't fold this. Even if I lost my stack 30 times in a row, I still OR with AA. "This time I will win". Such an idiot...
    • Olifranx
      Olifranx
      Basic
      Sure!..that s right!!
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Bronze
      Stronk strategy is stronk.
    • cardinhand
      cardinhand
      Bronze
      funny. i have about 70% winrate on 26s in position but i do agree it belong to the worst hand section.
    • Dina7427
      Dina7427
      Bronze
      i think that AK is the most difficult hand to play at all.
      specially at pokerstars .
    • tmannie
      tmannie
      Bronze
      The thing I keep reminding myself especially when I get dealt premium hole cards is the fact that each street changes the value/strength of my hand. What starts out as the strongest can get stronger but probably has more chance of weakening on later streets. AA is the strongest pre-flop but is a loser on the flop to someone else's two pair of say J2, and so on.
    • tzar63
      tzar63
      Bronze
      I lost a many, many time
      with AK against weaking cards. like Qj, 67 9,10 ...??
    • blitzkriege
      blitzkriege
      Bronze
      Thanks for this
    • Gymnastmoney
      Gymnastmoney
      Bronze
      with AK against weaking cards. likea AQ/QJ jj 60%?
    • Esgonidu
      Esgonidu
      Bronze
      2,7 not a good hand?? Damm
    • dungmama01
      dungmama01
      Bronze
      với AK chống lại thẻ yếu. giống như AQ / QJ jj 75%
    • Aptem2018
      Aptem2018
      Basic
      Amazing
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Aptem2018,

Welcome yo PokerStrategy.com :welcome:

Where are you from? In fact, why don't you get yourself added to our Member map. You never know, the nearest PokerStrategist may live right next door. :f_p:

What games and limits do you play? We should be able to link you to some strategy and/or videos specific to what you play. :f_thumbsup:

Don't forget to check out our bonus offers. This will cost you nothing and will give you lifetime Bronze status.

Bronze will give you a tracked room to earn SPs, the ability to send friend requests and PMs through our community tool as well as opening up more strategy and videos.

If you have any questions for us, then please don't hesitate to ask. :f_drink:

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • sheilapreuter
      sheilapreuter
      Basic
      I think the hand 3 7 is a bad one cause I never want to put it down and most of the time its not much but I have seen allot of streets get layout on the table so im allways prepared to bet on it
    • Daddycook
      Daddycook
      Basic
      Sometimes 2 7 can be better as AA :D Unfortunately it is not so easy to wait only for the premium hands to play successful poker. Sometimes it is important to play not only the premium hands.
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      Guys forgot the best hand. Not sure if I should tell you the secret that no one wants you to know but I guess I will do.

The best hand in NLHE is T5o.

Yes, you read it right. It`s T5o.

You cannot make a straight without a T or 5 in your hand. + If you have 2 cards of separate suits you also have 2 ways to make a flush.

That`s a nut combo.

By the way it`s statistically proven that J7 makes full houses most often. Why this is not mentioned?
    • Ryaian95
      Ryaian95
      Basic
      Originally posted by darnell99
      The basic poker lesson is when to hold and when to fold. Knowing whether your initial deal is worth staying in the game or if you should call it a day, is one of the most important decisions to make at the beginning of the poker game. One of the most common beginner’s mistakes is holding onto the worst pair of hole cards instead of folding and protecting your money.

Therefore, if you are a novice poker player, one of the first things you should memorize is which initial hands are worth holding and which hands leaves you no choice but to fold. Since Texas Holdem is the most popular poker variation, here you can find lists of the best and the worth Holdem poker starting hands.

Best Poker Hands

If you are lucky to be dealt one of these initial hands, you are definitely having an excellent beginning:

Pair of Aces: as known as American Airlines or pocket rockets, it is the best possible Texas Holdem starting hand.

Pair of Kings: not as good as a pair of Aces but still an excellent way to open a game of Texas Holdem.

Pair of Queens: if you want to look at the bright side, you will be beaten only by Kings and Aces.

Ace and King: if they are of the same suit, your condition is even better, since you can form the nut flush at ease.

Pair of Jacks: unless the flop shows either a Queen, King or an Ace, you have decent chances of winning with this promising starting hand.

Ace and Queen: the same as Ace and King, a suited hand would increase your chances of stepping out as a winner.

King and Queen: unless the community cards contain an Ace, you are in a good shape with this starting hand and even better if it is suited

Ace and Jack: even if appears unsuited, this starting hand is still worth holding.

King and Jack: still one of the best Texas Holdem starting hands, but be careful with it, especially when unsuited.
      Ace and Ten: the Ace upgrades it to a pretty good hand, although requires a cautious play since it can be beaten by any of the starting hands mentioned above.

Worst Poker Hands

These hands would suit you well if you play some of the lowball variations, but if you play traditional Texas Holdem poker, the best advice would be to fold.

2 and 7: if you are dealt this hand, especially unsuited, you cannot even make a straight. Even if suited you should be so lucky to form a low flush or the lowest pair. In one word: fold.

2 and 8: same as the previous hand; pair of 8s is still a low pair.

3 and 7: although it can beat the previous hands, it still a worthless pair of cards

3 and 8: again, hardly even a low straight.

2 and 6: only if the community cards will feature 3, 4 and 5, you will have a chance of forming a straight. However, do not count on it, especially if there are more than 3 attendances in the game.

2 and 9: thanks to the presence of the 9 you are in better shape than with the former hands, still you cannot form a straight and even a pair of 9s would be beaten by pairs of 10s, Jacks, Queens, etc.

3 and 9: the same thing: higher than 8 lower than almost any other hand.

4 and 9: as mentioned above; foldem.

2 and 10: even though Doyle Brunson had won two WSOP bracelets with this starting hand, unless you have the talent and experience of Brunson, do not hold this hand.

5 and 9: also known as Dolly Parton, this hand would get you nowhere near the final table.

Ref. [Edited by Lazza61]