Few newbie questions

• Raven77
      Raven77
      Basic
      Hi everyone, just signed up 2 days ago and have been studying the beginner/advanced articles extensively, really interesting reads, great info :)

Now I've been playing on partypoker.net (play money only) to practice a little and put the newly gained knowledge to good use. Those 2 days of practicing already brought up a few questions:

1) Obviously games on play money tables are vastly different to real money tables, simply due to their nature. However, logically you advice to practice on play money tables first before jumping into the real deal. Now the question is, with such vastly different playtyles, is this actually any good practice? I mean on play money tables you get really whack players, who call things like 64o or re-raise a preflop when holding T5o (things like that happen so often on play money tables its not even funny). Now how do you actually practice reading your opponents and such with so many somewhat stupid decisions of the ppl you play with? Most players there simply call/raise/re-raise unplayable cards, so I'm having problems judging them and acting/reacting accordingly. And not only 1 or 2 players per table, more like 95% of them.

2) I'm playing strict by the SHC and find a lot of streaks where I cant play any hands at all (preflop). And this isnt even a 1 in 5 thing anymore, I'm talking more like playing 1 in 15 hands due to being dealt unplayable cards (as per SHC). Is this just streaky as a whole or am I plain unlucky with dealt cards?

3) Another question which combines the 2 above, since I'm playing strictly by SHC but on play money tables (for now), I find a few points a bit unclear. Lets say I get ATs on UTG+1, obviously I'll call. Now whats the plan when I get raises and re-raises, since those happen a lot on play money tables (even if my opponents have inferior cards preflop)? Whats the plan there as per SHC? Do I call these as indicated on the chart? Fold?

4) How should one play opponents who play aggressively preflop with hands like T9o or T9s? Just recently I had this hand (sorry for sloppy formating, revealing the result and no info on which position called/raised/reraised, dont have pokertracker yet):

AKo on CO (raised/reraised/cap)
      Flop: AQJ rainbow (raised)
      Turn: 6
      River: 8 (called)

Now I played very aggressive here as per SHC. I continued to play very agressive on the flop due to hitting the ace/flopping a gutshot, despite the risk of an opponent having KT (was no indication of this however, my raise was called). Now usually you'd think that an opponent with inferior cards, T9o in this case, would've either folded preflop or played more aggressively on the flop (having a OESD himself). However that was not the case, so I assumed a weak player who maybe hit the Q or J or had a gutshot with a K. I continued to raise the turn, which was called and somewhat "confirmed" my assumption that the player was either unexperienced and calls unplayable cards or hit a pair lower than my ace/holds out to complete the gutshot. On the river I called the raise, the player with T9o called as well (had 3 players on the river). Due to the fact how he played preflop and flop I didnt expect him to hit the lower straight, and I couldnt really read it based on his bets either.

How does one judge these hands/players? Obviously a good player would've folded my preflop cap or raised the flop with T9o, but that wasnt the case here, most likely due to playing on a play money table. Do hands like this one happen on money tables as well? If so, did I make a mistake? What should I have played differently? Again apologies for posting the end result of the hand, but its somewhat important to the question.

Overall I'm gaining money (play money of course since I'm just practicing atm - edit: just had an upswing of 100BB/100, rather insane) quite fast with a tight-aggressive playstyle, but play money tables are so unpredictable due to their nature, so I'm actually asking myself if play money tables are a good indicator of how the real deal plays out and if its really good practice.

Thx in advance for the answers :)

edit: engrish :P
  • 4 replies
    • sholvar
      sholvar
      Bronze
      Hi.

1) first, it is funny, if you have patience. helped to motivate a friend of me by playing some time with him on the play money table. It is exiting how much "money" you can make in such a little time by playing playmoney. You cannot loose in this games, if you win the pot, you get the chips, and if you not win the pot you gain an customer who will be happy to play the next time against you (and looses then all his money) and the next time (to loose a new stack) and the next time (to loose another stack) and so on. Think of yourself as a buisenessman, and the times you loose against 64o as an investation to hold your customers (like presents you get for beeing a good customer of a company).
      The only thing you should use the playmoneytables for, is to get some practical examples about the rules and for what you can do (not for what you should do. this is what you will learn everytime you play with real money until your career ends or you die).

2) It is possible that you have a streak of bad luck. But as you said, playmoneytables are another thing. On playmoney tables you will see much more raises and reraises preflop than on real money tables, so you have to have much bigger hands at the play money tables. Be patient. You will loose many small winning opportunities (most times with too small pots that would justify to take these little chances) to take your chances, when they are very big.

3)At the moment you get raised (and reraised) the situation will get too complicated for one chart. But as a rule by thumb you can say, that you can call preflop(!) everytime, when you have called and now have to call ONE more bet. If it is reraised you call, if there are 3 people plus the reraiser with 3 bets in the pot. In every other case you fold.
      This one bet call means that you call first the BB, if now a person behind you raises, you call again. If now another person behind you will raise again there will be another situation with one bet to call, so you call again, and so on. Even if it is capped preflop this way, you have to call everytime you have money in (only preflop!) and have to call one single bet.

4)You have to do only one thing: smile. ;) An opponent cant do a much bigger mistake than playing a huge underdog to your hand. If he plays this hand aggressive, you will be in much tougher situations, but if you have reasons to follow through to the showdown you will get much more money from this guy, than you can get from playing against an opponent, who knows what to do.
      If you have opponents who are known to play inferior hands often, you should not fold postflop as often as you would against another player who you know that he uses the SHC. If you play against the underdog and you know there could be the chance that you have the better hand, even if the betting of you opponent would say the opposite, than you should call down instead of folding your hand.
      You dont have to do more. =]
    • Raven77
      Raven77
      Basic
      Thx a lot for the replies :)

And yeah, the play money tables are really crazy, ppl play totally insane starting hands and usually boast themselves when they get lucky on the river. The nice thing is, as you said, that they maybe win a small pot from time to time this way, but due to LAG play they constantly loose due to their overconfidence. Just today, playing on a 5/10 table, I ended up losing a few hands due to things like in my #4 example above, but right now I'm sitting at 1.4k after 112 hands (started with 250, 18% flops seen, 33% win% if flop seen, 85% showdowns won).

I'm just hoping I'll be able to perform that well on real tables (not in that magnitude/timeframe of course heh), I guess I'll switch over soon (once I got used to pokertracker/Pokerace Hud and got a bit more experience from play money tables).

Thx again for the answers, and keep up the great work on this site :)
    • jardelik
      jardelik
      Bronze
      Hi. I am new player(playing for 14 days) and I have some questions.

1. Is real to move according money managment to tables .5/1 in 45 days? Now I am +50BB(+5$) and made many mistakes cause I am still not experienced. And is there any possibility to play on begginers tables or lower limit tables after 45 days?

2. When I analyze my play, I recognize that I am loosing systematically on tight tables. But it is very hard for me to find good tables. Is there some free program for analysing tables or have you some good tips for searching good table.
    • sholvar
      sholvar
      Bronze
      1. it is possible, but in my personal opinion not acceptable propable. So dont get in too much pressure. If you dont get enough money in the time, you can switch to pokerstars. there are microlimits too (with much less pokerstrategy-guys ;) ).
      If you switch to stars after your 45 days dont switch back if you dont have 300$. 250$ is a very tight Bankroll for .5/1.

2. Dont take too much time to search good tables at the microlimits. Take that time to work hard at your postflopplay. There are the leaks of the microlimit players. Even the pokerstrategy-guys at this limit are not good at postflopplay, so with overwhelming postflop power you can make good money there ;)