Sklansky ranges

• mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      " Suited connectors aren't mentioned on the chart, but can usually be played from the button or small blind. Normally these hand shouldn't be pushed, but should simply be raised with about 3BB. "

Just started NL advanced and was wondering how should you profitably play connectors. the chart mentions some high offsuited connectors from the button or SB so I'm thinking perhaps playing suited ones from 87 up in BU and 76 SB ?!? normal 3 BB raise of course
  • 3 replies
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mishuq
      Just started NL advanced and was wondering how should you profitably play connectors.
      I'm sure wherever you got it from said or meant to open these hands from late position. So in general, if the pot has already been opened, you should fold as a default (for now anyway).

How will it be profitable?
      Well, the blinds can't see your hand so they don't know you have 78s. You'll win the blinds preflop a lot of the time, and that should also be your aim with these hands.
      However if you do get a call, your cbet will take down the pot very often.
      If that doesn't work either you should switch to plan B and make a flush or straight :) .

No idea how this relates to Sklansky though (don't even know what those ranges are).
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Yeah only time I raise them is to isolate limper fish or TAG

When I open with them its to steal, I really don't want a caller in position to me (although I do open it sometimes from MP or CO for balancing in SH), and I don't want a 3-bet.

Its also effective as re-steal hands from SB or BB.

But all of this really depends on opponent. If he only raises my blinds rarerly I fold them, if he does it a lot I 3-bet higher ones.

Of course getting called and hitting a major pot with them is really nice because they can hardly ever put you on it (I mean who the hell 3-bets 78s from the bb :P )

Oh and advanced (never did it because occasion is so rare and its very borderline):

MP or UTG limps and he is doing it more then once. BU or CO is a good TAG player and isolates. You have suited connectors in the BB... good 3-bet chance here to steal the pot. Your acting as if your having JJ+ AQ+ in the eyes of the TAG and his range is much worse then this since he knows that MP or UTG is a fish who limps a lot with very marginal hands (like suited connectors etc. haha). See the irony of the play?
      But yeah very risky.
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar

Oh and advanced (never did it because occasion is so rare and its very borderline):

well the main idea for open raising suited connectors would be just making profit through blind stealing and beyond if you get a monster draw or made flush/straight once per X hands. but I do agree these are marginal situations and I usually have one hand I use sklansky in every 200-300 hands :P

thanks for your advices guys