[NL10] What could I have done differently on this hand vs a LAG

• AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze
      So first, just wanted to say im playing on a new site for me, because I wanted to play on a site that I can use a HUD and PT4, so I moved to Americas Card Room.

This hand was very early in the session. I am playing NL10 as i get used to this site. Just wanted to post this hand and get your opinion on what you would have done differently.

Thanks

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 132.1 BB
      CO: 102.5 BB
      Hero (BTN): 98.5 BB
      SB: 111.9 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:diamond: J:spade:

CO raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 12 BB, fold, fold, CO calls 9 BB

Flop: (25.5 BB, 2 players) 4:diamond: T:club: 8:spade:
      CO checks, Hero bets 18.2 BB, CO calls 18.2 BB

Turn: (61.9 BB, 2 players) 5:spade:
      CO checks, Hero bets 44.1 BB, CO raises to 72.3 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 24.2 BB and is all-in

REST OF HAND IN SPOILER

River: (198.5 BB, 2 players) 9:club:

CO shows 7:diamond: 6:diamond: (Straight, Ten High)
      (Pre 21%, Flop 34%, Turn 100%)
      Hero shows J:diamond: J:spade: (One Pair, Jacks)
      (Pre 79%, Flop 66%, Turn 0%)
      CO wins 188.6 BB

• 9 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      I would only 3bet maximum 3x in position and betting 55% pot seems big enough against an unknown. This way you don’t need to invest a decent amount of your stack on the turn yet and then I would most likely fold on the shove of him.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • la55i
      la55i
      You said on one post that you usually 3bet only for value and you 3bet very big as a standard. Now that you are playing on a room that allows hud maybe you should change this? :)
      I think you use too big sizings and committing yourself here.

3bet to 8bb when in position would be quite standard. Then the pot OTF would be 17.5bb. Betting half pot in 3bet pot is totally fine -> pot on the turn will be roughly 36. When you bet half pot again you have invested only 36bb and when you get raised you can fold. 74bb saved :f_thumbsup:
      Even with this betting strategy you will get the stacks OTR without overbetting.
    • AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze
      So this opp his VPIP is 36 and PFR is 31, someone who is playing loose like this, would it be recommended then to scale down my betting?
    • la55i
      la55i
      Not because of villain. Because you will otherwise play your cards face up most of the time. Villain knows you are strong. And as I said vs those big bets he defends less so you isolate yourself against a stronger range. And if we start talking about theory, your range doesn't have enough bluffs for you to bet this big.

And you didn't post any stats for villain so I assumed he is unknown :)
      Aaand you also have to remember that for most of the stats you need a very big sample. So better not to look at the stats if you don't have hundreds of hands. VPIP/PFR is maybe an exception.
    • AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze
      Yea, really right now all im concerning myself with is VPIP/PFR to gauge a player type to put a range on them, and maybe also ATS which in the 120 hands I played vs him at this table he had a high frequency.

That being said, this particular hand was only 2 hands into my session, so at the time I didnt have any stats to go on.

So let me see if I can understand this.. basically on this board, Villian knows I am strong, maybe a high pair, he is loose and flops a straight draw so he isnt going anywhere on the flop... When he calls my flop bet, at this point I should prob check on the Turn to see where he is at since we know he thinks I am strong based on my preflop and flop actions, correct?

So now if I check to him on the Turn, and he say bets 1/2 pot, maybe to slow play me now that he has the straight, am I stuck because Im getting odds to call with the overpair, or at this point do I just fold to my opponents aggression?

I feel that in this situation im kind of f__ed, but I know there is a right answer at least I hope there is, because I get stuck in these situations often lol.
    • la55i
      la55i
      I think you should still be betting the turn to charge draws and some Tx.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      This is okay played versus a LAG. Sometimes the deck just isn't our best friend. The only awkward thing is the turn bet size. I'd lose my stack too, in about the same way versus this player.

EDIT: Actually, when seeing HH more closely, I wouldn't. I'd lose less because I'd 3-bet small preflop (and slightly smaller on turn), leaving me room to fold on turn.
    • AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze
      This is something now I would say after his all in shove... Would he shove with a hand worse than JJ. If I played this hand today, I would fold because I would say, NO he would not shove with a hand worse than JJ, so I am beat.

ON the other hand, I am asking myself this question now on the river as well.

Would he call my bet with worse than JJ. If my answer to this question is NO, then I will check. Now here, maybe still the question is yes, because this loose player very well might call with a Tx. So yea, in that case maybe then I could make my bet smaller, maybe half pot here for value. But overall its just crazyness because he is chasing betting all this money through the turn with a gutshot.

Stupid 5 lol.
    • SeagalSteven
      SeagalSteven
      Bronze
      Why do you bet 44 in to 62 when you've only 68 behind? Your sizings in this hand were huge, so why not just ship it if you're going to bet big OTT? If villain calls pot is 150bb otr and you've only 24bb behind.