[NL2] Raising middle pair OTF, turning trips bad kicker, getting minraised OTT

• briccius
      briccius
      Silver
      PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 36.5 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
      SB: 138 BB (VPIP: 18.75, PFR: 15.63, 3Bet Preflop: 10.00, Hands: 33)
      BB: 100 BB (VPIP: 16.67, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 6)
      UTG: 193.5 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
      Hero (MP): 331 BB
      CO: 106 BB (VPIP: 9.09, PFR: 9.09, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 12)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T:club: 9:club:

UTG raises to 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB, CO calls 3 BB, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (10.5 BB, 3 players) 7:club: T:diamond: Q:spade:
      UTG bets 5 BB, Hero raises to 18 BB, fold, UTG calls 13 BB

Turn: (46.5 BB, 2 players) T:heart:
      UTG checks, Hero bets 23 BB, UTG raises to 46 BB, Hero calls 23 BB

River: (138.5 BB, 2 players) 8:spade:
      UTG bets 60 BB,
      fold

UTG wins 133.5 BB

Preflop this might play better as a 3bet? I do not really fancy getting squeezed with this hand and these positions.

Flop: ok, I think my flop play is really bad, I will not achieve much with it, and I am only representing QTs or 77 in villain´s eyes. I think it is a pretty clear call OTF.

With that out of the way, I am interested in the turn and river. I think I have a clear value bet OTT, but I was really uncomfortable when he minraised. I should be crushed by his valuerange. But I could not let go the hand right there.

River: same problem, I think I am crushed by his valuerange, and despite decent pot odds, I decided to fold.

Can you agree with my reasoning?
  • 6 replies
    • MyFloXyBabY
      MyFloXyBabY
      Bronze
      Sorry if it sounds bad but I have to say I hate about everything in this hand except for the preflop :transpire:

Awful hand to raise with flop, neither strong nor weak nor blocking enough, catastrophic idea showing you don't seem to really know what you are doing. You tossed a coin maybe ?

Turn bet bigger, and maybe shove.
      River it's impossible to fold. What a spew of a hand in the end lol.
    • briccius
      briccius
      Silver
      I agree I misplayed this hand on the flop. I admitted that in my original post already. It´s awful, I did not know what I was doing, all good and well. By the way: I did not toss a coin.

So you think I should call turn x raise and river because why exactly? What do you think his range is?

When you are saying I should shove turn, do you mean I should 3b shove turn for ~200 bbs effective?
    • MyFloXyBabY
      MyFloXyBabY
      Bronze
      My god I hadn't seen you were both so deep lol forget about shoving turn of course :facepalm:

(But think about tothing a coin sometimes. Randomize your play and all ;) )

River it's hard to fold a trips, especially one that blocks the straight. He can still have Qx or KK+ played anyhow or whatever.
      He can even maybe value-bluff with JJ or 99.
      On the other hand it's hard for him to bet/call a Tx on the flop (even though it's possible). I'd say the main thing that beats you are rare fulls.
    • Varune
      Varune
      Bronze
      Preflop is normally a fold. the hand looks nice, but in reality vs his range it isn't. You aren't drawing to the nutflush and the straights aren't that great either.

But if you do decide to call it pre, you'll need a gameplan postflop. On this dry board i would just call.

As played you can really go either way. He's only repping QQ/77 and as played you shouldn't have that many Tx so he could be bluffing with KJ or so.

But in general fold this pre without proper gameplan/reads, you just invested more than 60bb and folded, a costly mistake imo.
    • Titan8
      Titan8
      Gold
      I prefer 3beting PF with T9s, I think its playable on 3bet pots.
      Postflop, i think you should only call flop, there is no reason for raise.
      As played, I prefer bigger bet on flop, you target Qx hands, maybe some draws. Both of them he isnt folding on higher sizing. After his raise, I must say I am weak in this situations. There is hands like QT, 77, TT, QQ but also AA or KK, maybe AQ. And still he can have some random bluffs on NL2, wich no make sense (like your raise on flop :P ). But its hard to decide.
      I think, if we think we are good enough on turn, we "must" call river or we should fold on turn instead. Call turn and fold river seems like the worst option for me. The most important idea here is to not raising flop, you dont need to play this situation again, if you dont raise flop.
    • pdfbq
      pdfbq
      Silver
      Personally I do not mind calling with T9 suited against UTG especially with those stacks but not with 2 players IP behind.
      ( your flop raise? well ;) ... )
      To me this screams fully and I would have folded turn ( I hope :) )