[NL2] Whats your opinion about the play here and should I Call the river?

• LacsapR
      LacsapR
      Bronze
      Hello guys,

I just started to play NL2 6-max so I'm playing very beginners strategy. I have a hand here and I'm looking for your feedback regarding my play:

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $2 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $2.10 (105 bb)
      UTG: $2.18 (109 bb)
      MP: $2 (100 bb)
      CO: $5.28 (264 bb)
      BTN: $2 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with :2h: :Ah:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.06, SB folds, Hero calls $0.04

I guess BTN does a stea raise here so I think my hand is in calling range. Maybe 3-bet is the better way here?

Flop: ($0.13) :7d: :5h: :Ac: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.09, BTN calls $0.09

I hit top pair and donk betted...I'm not sure if this is a good move...but check/fold is also a bad play I think. I betted as I thought he did a steal raise preflop and I have the best hand with top pair.

Turn: ($0.31) :Jh: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, BTN calls $0.20

This card doesn't change a lot I think, I even hit nut flush draw...I donk bet again 2/3 pot as I still beliefe to have the best hand and maybe I improve to nut flush.

River: ($0.71) :Td: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

I don't hit my flush and the board gives a lot possibilities for streets now....so I check...he bets and I don't know if folding or callin is good here. Whats your opinion?

Thanks a lot in advance for helping me to improve my play :)
      Regards, Lacsap

Results:
      $1.31 pot ($0.05 rake)
      Final Board: :7d: :5h: :Ac: :Jh: :Td:
      Hero mucked :2h: :Ah: and lost (-$0.65 net)
      BTN showed :Jd: :Ad: and won $1.26 ($0.61 net)
  • 5 replies
    • pdfbq
      pdfbq
      Silver
      He calls calls bet, sounds strong to me :)
      A2 is an A with no kicker.
      So calling the river will be many many times bad news

I think 3 betting is better. In that case, when you would have 3bet and with the heart turn, a bet bet from you would look really strong (so might induce a fold).
      Anyways, as played flop OK, turn OK, fold river is what I would do.
    • neliorelva
      neliorelva
      Bronze
      If you choose to defend such a weak ace you shouldn't donk. Give the initiative to the pre-flop raiser. When you bet on the flop you only get value foram a PP or a draw since you lose to stronger aces.
      The best line for you is to check call and if he bets two streets you are mostly beat.
    • insomnia666
      insomnia666
      Gold
      Call pre-flop. The hand is too strong for 3bet. I mean for a polarized range . For the linear range is too weak ofc.
      I don't like the bet on the flop. No need for that. BU will bet this 100% and you will fold 100%. Because this type of play. What if he bets very small on the flop? Will be so embarrassing.
      Call pre, check-call flop, check-call turn, check-fold river. Without enough info for river C-bet.
    • LacsapR
      LacsapR
      Bronze
      Wow okay I really sucked in this hand :D
      I see the point that Check/call would be better here. I will keep that in mind for top pair with low kicker.

Keep it up :)
      Lacsap
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      3bet preflop is ok. Call is also fine...
      Check-call to keep his Q high card bluffs in. By betting you narrow his range to the point that you beat less than half. Not that you cant get value from TT there but you can get that value 1 street later.
      If you had 3bet and got called preflop, checking this flop is also probably best, because you want to keep his bad cards in and maybe he catches something on the turn.
      As played, you can check the turn and hope he floated you with some goofy hand and will now bluff. Not that much value in betting the turn...
      kind of sucky spot OTR.. I dont blame you for calling. My best guess is AK, AT or 75?