[NL2] Villain check/calls until River and Donk bet 1/2 Pot on river...how to play this hand?

• LacsapR
      LacsapR
      Bronze
      Hello guys,

I have another hand from my NL2 6-max, I'm plaing very beginner strategy as I just started to play.
      I'm curious about your opinion on this hand:

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $2 (100 bb)
      BB: $2 (100 bb)
      UTG: $4.13 (206.5 bb)
      MP: $2.39 (119.5 bb)
      CO: $2.37 (118.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $2.26 (113 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with :As: :Jh:
      UTG calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.06

We have 1 Limper in early position (so I guess he is a fish). With our hand we easy bet pre-flop. The fish calls.

Flop: ($0.19) :3c: :Tc: :Jc: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.14, UTG calls $0.14

We hit top Pair top kicker (made hand for me). UTG checks so we conti-bet, as the board is drawy we bet more than 2/3 pot.

Turn: ($0.47) :5h: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.30, UTG calls $0.30

This card doesn't change anything I think, UTG checks again so we go on betting. The fish check/calls again....maybe he has a flush draw, straight draw or middle pair, but as he is a fish he could also have bottm pair or something like that...

River: ($1.07) :Ts: (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.52, Hero folds

The board is now even paired...not a good card, but straight draw busted and there is not a fourth c card...now the fish dok bet half ot size. Should we expect a bluff here? Do we still have the best hand and should we call? I wasn't sure...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Results:
      $1.07 pot ($0.04 rake)
      Final Board: :3c: :Tc: :Jc: :5h: :Ts:
      UTG mucked and won $1.03 ($0.51 net)
      Hero mucked :As: :Jh: and lost (-$0.52 net)
  • 5 replies
    • pdfbq
      pdfbq
      Silver
      Call call bet is strong. You were beat is my guess.

The only thing that puzzles me is his limp vs his ~206BB stack.
      It might be the player type that 'limps them all' and bluffs a lot on the river with his 'fish' image.
      So maybe a hero call there, but i would fold.
    • neliorelva
      neliorelva
      Bronze
      I think you could bet smaller on the flop and you could even check the turn to control the pot.
      When he donk bets the river, his range is made of Tx combos, 33, 55 and two clubs combos.
      I think it was a good lay down.
    • insomnia666
      insomnia666
      Gold
      I am an "unbeliever"and I do call in those spots. I saw a lot of stupid things with this line and I think we will win often enough to call.
    • AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze
      I'm guessing he slow played the flush, but he is a fish, does he know even how to slow play?

Would he bet like this with worse than a pair of Jacks? I think the answer is no.

I agree maybe a 1/2 pot turn bet and not 3/4. If he is folding the Turn he will fold any bet, so might as well make it smaller and save yourself some money. I agree with the bet though. Generally when someone is checking the Turn they are weak. If you check behind you are giving him a free card and I don't like giving a free card here, especially when you don't have many cards on the river that help you.

I think once he leads off betting the River you are done. Again he isn't doing this with worse than a pair of jacks.
    • LacsapR
      LacsapR
      Bronze
      Thanks for your input. I think the fold is good here...smaller bet size on turn would've been good though. I'll remember next time :)