[NL25] KK from UTG - Did I make the right fold to this loose player?

• AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze
      So this was a real tough spot for me. I was raised on the flop which I didnt expect, but it was such a soft raise, I had to call. Then I get a great price on the turn to continue, and then I get a good price on the River to call, but I really think im beat with a Flush, or maybe even a full house. I dont think my Kings are the best hand. Take a look at the hand below and let me know what you might have done differently here.

Thanks

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.25 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 83.4 BB (VPIP: 19.23, PFR: 13.46, 3Bet Preflop: 5.00, Hands: 57)
      BB: 40 BB (VPIP: 26.42, PFR: 22.64, 3Bet Preflop: 10.53, Hands: 54)
      Hero (UTG): 100 BB
      MP: 47.88 BB (VPIP: 30.00, PFR: 10.00, 3Bet Preflop: 33.33, Hands: 10)
      CO: 92.52 BB (VPIP: 11.11, PFR: 7.41, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 28)
      BTN: 100.72 BB (VPIP: 21.11, PFR: 18.89, 3Bet Preflop: 3.57, Hands: 94)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has K:club: K:spade:

Hero raises to 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, fold, fold, SB calls 2.6 BB, fold

Flop: (10 BB, 3 players) 6:club: 2:spade: 3:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets 4.76 BB, MP raises to 9.52 BB, fold, Hero calls 4.76 BB

So here I am getting real good odds to call his raise. Its only 16% pot odds to call, and I have 12 outs when you consider 10 clubs to get a K high flush and a set of Kings. I think I have to call this, even if it may seem he is value betting.

Turn: (29.04 BB, 2 players) 2:club:
      Hero checks, MP bets 6.92 BB, Hero calls 6.92 BB

I check here after getting raised on the flop. I dont think betting is the right play here, because I might get raised again, so im hoping that I get to see a free card, or at worst a cheap turn to the river. He gives me just that with a tiny bet. I still have 11 outs for a K high full house or a K high flush, so to me this call is a no brainer. I dont want to raise him here because he may then come around and shove which I dont want. Im happy with the cheap bet here especially since at the moment im thinking I might be losing this hand.

River: (42.88 BB, 2 players) T:spade:
      Hero checks, MP bets 20.4 BB, fold

Well unfortunately I missed everything here. I once again have to check because based on his betting I think he is strong. He throws another value bet to me, not even shoving all in, but giving me 25% pot odds to call. After giving this long thought I said to myself there is no way he is doing all of this with worse than KK. I was very tempted to call, but decided in the end, I have probably been beat this entire time. My guess is he either nailed me with a flush, quite possibly with Ax of clubs, or he had 66 and hit a full house. That being said it was tough because he was a fish, as I was able to figure from his open limping from UTG in previous hands. I dont think a Fish would be this aggressive with anything worse than my KK.

MP wins 40.76 BB

EDIT - Hmm, I record my sessions using screen capture and rewatched this hand, and I wasnt even thinking he has a straight, but I think there is a chance he had 54s being a loose player, making the straight on the flop. This would make sense with his light raise on the flop, and then light bet on the turn. He bets for value but really light hoping I dont have the flush. Then when I check on the River he knows I dont have a flush and bets into me for value.
  • 4 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      I think this is well played. You are right that you can't fold flop or turn for that price.
      OTR he still can have some bluffs but mostly I think his range should be value heavy. The problem is that our villain is a shortstack recreational player so it is harder to put him on a range. Something like Ac5x or Ax4x (offsuit) would make sense as a bluff here but a good reg won't call those against UTG opener. So will he? But then again why raise and bet so small, it looks like he wants you to call...

Overall well played and good thinking. Good disciplined fold. On the long rung folding a bit too much won't be as big of a problem than calling too much.
    • insomnia666
      insomnia666
      Gold
      I can see clearly QQ there. Slow play is an option, yeah, we can fold, if the Q comes and check-shove the river. But I prefer small raise on the flop and shove on the turn.
    • Varune
      Varune
      Silver
      Imo this is quite badly played.
      He's a short fish so if you're beat on the flop(which isn't that likely, he hasn't got any 2p in his range and only sets beat you, If he even calls 22 and 33 preflop) you don't make that 'big' of a mistakes since its only 50bb.
      But by playing this slowly you're giving him ALL the iniative in the hand to 1) outdraw you and 2) bluff you off the hand like this.

I would 3bet/gii this 100% on the flop, make him pay with his flushdraws and 'cooler' his medium pp's like 88.

Oh and besides, if he does have a flushdraw and turn is a blank, it'd probably go xx/xx alot of the time and you're missing alot of value that way.
    • insomnia666
      insomnia666
      Gold
      My post wasn't serious :D . But no reaction :evil: . Actually well played hand. I mean I will do just the same.