Wanna go to Thailand and play poker !

• msnek
      msnek
      Bronze
      I have a wife and 2 yrs old daughter. We would like (maybe) try 100% poker career (I am pediatric surgeon). Do you have some tips for places in Thailand for rent? Ideal situation: good internet connection, beach not so far away (easy to get there by walk with a baby), shops (basic food ingredients for cooking, hygiene, diapers, etc.) not far away. Thx for any info in advance !
  • 22 replies
    • jonny1971
      jonny1971
      Bronze
      hi
      what you and your family like?
      sea? mountain?

and play poker in Thailand you know the are
      illegally but many do that
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Following this thread with great interest as I am going to Thailand for the 2nd time on 15th of January 2018 for 80ish days.
    • msnek
      msnek
      Bronze
      We are more like sea people u could say. It is illegal there ?! Online poker ?!
    • jonny1971
      jonny1971
      Bronze
      yes the are illegal there any game whit money
      but some i say the are many some go there and play
      to go phuket, pattaya, krabi, ore place like that
    • msnek
      msnek
      Bronze
      Bump
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Black
      Originally posted by msnek
      We are more like sea people u could say. It is illegal there ?! Online poker ?!
      Technically gambling is illegal in Thailand. But afaik, no one has faced legal action for poker/online gambling unless they were the provider of those games.

I lived in thailand during 2014 but can't really answer based on that info. Do you want to live in a big/small city? Amongst locals/expats? On an island/mainland?
    • msnek
      msnek
      Bronze
      It can be both island or mainland. We prefer small city, we like local people over expats, but its not like we need to be in isolation.
    • Varune
      Varune
      Silver
      In my experience the Wifi is quite shit in general, our landlord said "HIGHSPEED" but that was 5mb internet, which was shared among a few apartments so superlaggy. The 4G network on the other hand was amazingly fast. (I was in Chiang mai, but i suppose in the entire country this is well managed). They have certain deals every month. One month we had unlimited internet for <10eu, so I used more than 100GB via my phone lol, no lag whatsoever.
      I don't know wether going there with a child is a great plan tho, their education systems aren't the greatest compared to western.
    • msnek
      msnek
      Bronze
      As I said child is 2 yrs old and we would like to go there for 6 months top to first see how it goes.
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Black
      For local people and beaches in a small city, I'd say islands are likely the better bet. I have no experience in playing poker from islands, so don't recall how the internet was there. The islands are generally pretty reasonably priced, although the amount of apartments for rent might not be super high, especially now when the high season is starting.

Assuming you don't speak thai, socially it likely isn't an amazing place, since the english skills for the locals outside tourist areas are so-so at best.
    • tarjaturunenRNMD
      tarjaturunenRNMD
      Bronze
      Deposit and cashout in Thailand is easy , right?
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Black
      Didn't have any issues with depositing or cashouts in Thailand. But then again, I also never used anything other than skrill or iban transfers.
    • msnek
      msnek
      Bronze
      What approach for finding a house to rent would u recommend? Just google it? Or do u have some FB/web tips ?
    • tarjaturunenRNMD
      tarjaturunenRNMD
      Bronze
      In VietNam u cant deposit and cashout to Poker online .
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Black
      Originally posted by msnek
      What approach for finding a house to rent would u recommend? Just google it? Or do u have some FB/web tips ?
      2p2 has plenty of people who live there, so the thailand-thread there is probably useful. There are some companies who provide turn key rentals. Airbnb might also work. Depending on where you decide to go, a decent strategy generally is to book a hostel/hotel and look for apartments while in the city. I'm sure fb has plenty of groups regarding thailand housing/apartments.

There also used to be a skype group with like 100+ poker players but i think that most of those people live in chiang mai.
    • poncygainful
      poncygainful
      Basic
      That's a big leap to take. Will you still be practicing medicine once you settled in Thailand or will go full-time with your poker business?
    • tarjaturunenRNMD
      tarjaturunenRNMD
      Bronze
      Main reason go to ThaiLan is cheap ?
    • Varune
      Varune
      Silver
      Why the change tho, can't be money, pediatric surgeons make a shitton.

Believe when i was there we looked on: https://www.thailand-property.com/condos-for-sale There's a stupid FB login popup now so not 100% sure. There are alot of empty condo's in the bigger cities so housing shouldn't be a big problem.
    • msnek
      msnek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Varune
      Why the change tho, can't be money, pediatric surgeons make a shitton.
      Not in Czech Republic they are not. Sallery for doctors here sucks ass. I work 8:45 hours every day from mon till fri. But usually I have to stay longer until the work is done. Plus I have 5-6 times per month 24hour duty (including weekends). And even though I have some tax freed thx to my daughter I am still making only 1600 euro per month max. So we have a plan to move to Germany, where I should be able to get like 3200 euro for same amount (and same kind) of work, but we thought why not have a break in Thailand for a year or so :) see how it goes and if I would make it big I would think about 100% poker career maybe. So thats the story :)