Tuning in when you start.

• Dyden
      Dyden
      Bronze
      You come home from work, you decide to play a bit of poker, the first hand had you get is playable ...

You lose the hand horribly cause you're still getting in the swing of things, tuning in on poker instead of work, etc.

How do you guys avoid this situation? Do you just sit out the first couple of hands? Are there any other tricks to avoid this scenario?

-Dy
  • 12 replies
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Prepare for the game before you start playing.

A sprinter will go through his run in his mind before he does it. Poker is the same, just get your mind ready for it.

Also experienced once that I lost big on the first decent hand I got because I wasn't paying attention yet, so need to prepare more.

Other things which might help is railing some tables before you start playing or browsing through the forums and some sample hands or so.
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      I usually play only monsters for the first few hands on a table or very good hands in position. It helps to read a new article or two before playing, and getting some reads on the players before you get into a big pot with them.

I am at a point where I have enough hand samples for some players (150-400) to make some notes about them and what kind of hands they play from what position. I am starting to make these notes for players at the beginning of each session, that way I prepare myself the best way I can.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Open 12 tables and start grinding with some music on and read the forum ^^
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Something which I used to overlook but now I always pay attention to is table selection. It is important to take as much time as you need to select the tables before you delve in. To use the sprinter analogy, you don't want to race blindfolded - you can't see your own lane, your opponents, nor the finishing line!

So, a good "tuning in" strategy is gathering information about the dynamics of the table that can give you an edge. Notice the players to your right/left, whether you have any stats on them, whether you have good position relative to the calling stations/maniacs etc... and based on that you should have a plan ready for all kinds of situations that might arise, before playing your first hand. You often have to wait an orbit before posting your blind so you can use that time to get a good basic idea on how the game is flowing.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      At the beginning of a session I always spend a few minutes reading the sample hands section of the forum, trying to analyze hands and giving advice. This tends to get me in the zone quite quickly.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by delete461
      At the beginning of a session I always spend a few minutes reading the sample hands section of the forum, trying to analyze hands and giving advice. This tends to get me in the zone quite quickly.
      Yes I agree with this, it's also good for time-efficiency ^^
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      This might sound extremely arrogant... don't blame me

but I think I'm always ready to play my first hand of the day...

whatever I'm doing... deal me a hand and I'll play it just as good as 1k hands later...

yea that sounded arrogant
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      AKo UTG you raise to 80
      3 callers
      CO agressive regular re-raises to 400
      Hero?
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      AKo UTG you raise to 80
      3 callers
      CO agressive regular re-raises to 400
      Hero?
      folds... don't be a fish...

=)

edit: I see your trynna trap me after I made my arrogant post... lmao
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dyden
      You come home from work, you decide to play a bit of poker, the first hand had you get is playable ...

You lose the hand horribly cause you're still getting in the swing of things, tuning in on poker instead of work, etc.

How do you guys avoid this situation? Do you just sit out the first couple of hands? Are there any other tricks to avoid this scenario?

-Dy
      - Tighten up at the beginning of a session.
      - Give them credit and respect bets and raises until you get a read.
      - Take extra time to make a tough decision since you are still "tuning in".
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn
      This might sound extremely arrogant... don't blame me

but I think I'm always ready to play my first hand of the day...

whatever I'm doing... deal me a hand and I'll play it just as good as 1k hands later...

yea that sounded arrogant
      It doesn't sound arrogant. It sounds normal.
      Don't know why would anyone play his first hand differently than 1000th hand.

And not playing cards when you should (e.g. only playing monsters) is just stupid and -EV.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Don't know why would anyone play his first hand differently than 1000th hand.

1st hand - you know nothing about your oponent so you can't adjust your play.
      1000th hand - because you get tired. (not everyone)