Bad Call or Just bad play?

• Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      THis hand here, Should I of fired again on the turn and was I right to call the river bet?

Im on the BUtton with AJo

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, 5
      6 folds, BU raises to $1.00, Hero calls $0.90, BB folds.
      Flop: ($2.25) Ah, 4h, Td (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.85, Hero calls $1.85.
      Turn: ($5.95) 6d (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.
      River: ($5.95) 3d (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.25, BU calls $2.25.
      Final Pot: $10.45
      Results follow (highlight to see):
      BU shows a pair of aces (Ac Jh)
      Hero shows a flush, ace high (Ad 5d)
      Hero wins with a flush, ace high (Ad 5d)
  • 4 replies
    • williamtywong
      williamtywong
      Bronze
      First of, it says here hero (which is actually villain, I guess) has Ad 5d, but you also showed Ad on the flop, how is that possible?

More information is needed, such as stack size, what strategy you are using. You are better off posting this hand into the appropriate hand sample threads.
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Yes sorry, I copied the hand straight out Elephant and had to put in the suits myself (how to convert these?)

Ive edited it now, the flop was Ah 4D 10H

Im on the button with $29 and SB (hero in this case) has $21.76. I dont have anyting to say about him as he had only been in the session 20 odd hands.
    • williamtywong
      williamtywong
      Bronze
      I copied the hand straight out Elephant and had to put in the suits myself (how to convert these?)
      when you choose a particular hand in the elephant (under the hands section inside the main screen), if you look in the bottom right, there is a box with several copying options. (PS, non-PS, etc, etc.) Click PS, and then come into the forum, and Ctrl-V paste into your message

as for your hand, I think this is what I would have done (remember that the results don't really matter, it's more about how we play the hand).

preflop play is ok

on flop, bet 2/3pot $1.50

because he just called on flop, and not raised, I'm not suspicious about what he has.

Thus, on turn, i would continue betting (the flop card was not a scare card, since there are still only 2 diamonds and 2 hearts).

I think in this case, betting on the turn is very important:
      1) you want to protect your hand
      2) you need information

If you bet on turn, and he raised, then you can safely fold, knowing that he probably has two-pair or a set. If he calls, then he is most likely still on a draw.

But as played, now you are left with a dilemma on the river, because you don't really have information from the turn. I think you have no choice, but to fold on the river (unless you were actually trying to induce a bluff from him by checking on the turn).
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Thanks WIlliam, Yes I think I got unnecesarrily wary on the turn.

Thanks for telling me how to grab the hands