JT97ds facing 3b oop

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $424.22 (424.2 bb)
      BB: $110.88 (110.9 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $107.12 (107.1 bb)
      MP: $199.50 (199.5 bb)
      CO: $161.54 (161.5 bb)
      BTN: $102.68 (102.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with :9c: :Tc: :7d: :Jd:
      Hero raises to $3.50, MP folds, CO raises to $12, 3 folds, Hero calls $8.50

Flop: ($25.50) :Jc: :Jh: :2d: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $8, Hero calls $8

Turn: ($41.50) :7c: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($41.50) :3d: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Results:
      $41.50 pot ($2.08 rake)
      Final Board: :Jc: :Jh: :2d: :7c: :3d:
      Hero showed :9c: :Tc: :7d: :Jd: and won $39.42 ($19.42 net)
      CO mucked :4s: :5d: :6s: :8d: and lost (-$20 net)

Villain is a strong, aggressive reg. 11.7% 3b 2.3k hands. Aggression 3.4. Turn aggression 41%
      I think flop is fine, if we raise trips here it's going to spell disaster for our x/c range itrl.

I expect villain to x/b this turn very often when he has value and sometimes bluff it when he picks up a draw.

The river was interesting. I couldn't decide between:
      1. betting an amount I might bet with KK/QQ (what should we do with such hands when we get to the river in this manner?);
      2. betting big to rep some bluffs (what bluffs do we have when calling on this board? - perhaps a hand like we had but w/o trips - but should we float that wide?); or
      3. checking. Idea behind checking to was to protect my checking range against a good opponent and - perhaps - encourage him to bet AA for thin value against a hand like KK/QQ.

I've left in results deliberately - what do you think of villain's 3b hand selection?

Thanks
  • 7 replies
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      I would bet the river, as he didn't bet the turn he isn't betting the river often. 29 is nice number to bet. :)

His hand is one that you can 3bet against UTG open, as it doesn't collide with UTG range. I think 3betting is better than calling.
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Black
      I think it's more likely we'll get called by AA/KK then it is that those hands bet themselves. I prefer checking when we have a hand like AJ/AKJ that blocks those potential thin value bets. We can have quite a few bluffs, because we need to call very wide against that flop bet size.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Originally posted by Shevtshenko
      I think it's more likely we'll get called by AA/KK then it is that those hands bet themselves. I prefer checking when we have a hand like AJ/AKJ that blocks those potential thin value bets. We can have quite a few bluffs, because we need to call very wide against that flop bet size.
      Makes sense. What kind of hands would you be calling with on this flop, then and what hands would you be bluffing with (or turning into a bluff) otr? When villain can show up with a hand with no SDV - like he had, which hands are so weak we need to bluff them on the river?

Thanks
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Black
      Originally posted by Tim64
      Originally posted by Shevtshenko
      Makes sense. What kind of hands would you be calling with on this flop, then and what hands would you be bluffing with (or turning into a bluff) otr? When villain can show up with a hand with no SDV - like he had, which hands are so weak we need to bluff them on the river?

Thanks
      Mostly high cards with bdfds. Maybe even something like TT?
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Yep, makes sense. I'm still not sure if I need to bet those hands on the river, though?
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Black
      If we have a hand like A K Q T that we c/c on the flop, i think we definitely have to bet on the river. Not to mention KQT9ds etc
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Ok, I see - thanks.