Analysing My Downswing

• DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Well, I have been in a downswing for a few days now.

I have recently started playing NL SSS and was doing ok, having built my bankroll up to playing .25/.50 but I have had to drop to .10/.20.

I initially posted about my downswing here, when I thought it was down to upping a limit without being prepared.

Now I have seen my bankroll drop further, I want to find out why.

I have been looking over my stats and hand histories, with the intention of posting some in the forums.

Also, I would be grateful if people could look at my stats over this period and offer me pointers to help me pin down what appears to be a general losing style of play for me.

Here ya go!

Thanks.
      D4_
  • 11 replies
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Or you have been running very very bad or you are way too tight even for basic sss , 4.7/4.6 is way too tight in my eyes for nl50. it may be even too nitty for nl10 :rolleyes: Since you are a gold member I suggest you to look up the gold member videos, of course those are not on nl50 but you get the idea of starting to adapt to advanced sss.

too bad I can't see the last xarry video on nl100 , me and my downswing breaks :evil:
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      Or you have been running very very bad or you are way too tight even for basic sss , 4.7/4.6 is way too tight in my eyes for nl50. it may be even too nitty for nl10 :rolleyes:
      I thought I had been running bad.
      Looking at my HH I have been opening according to the SHC for SSS.

I have found some leaks in my postflop play that would be worsening my losses.
      I think I may have been holding on to the few playable hands I did get too much.
      Also, I have started using a HUD, and the tightest other SSS players I have seen have VPIP of 6 to 10. A very rare 5.

Thanks for the feedback...
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      I suspect it's a combination of a downswing and unideal NL50 play.

You have to loosen up a bit at that limit as the tables are tighter in general and not full of bad players. Something like 6/5.5+ is ok to aim for. This is easy to achieve by stealing and open raising looser. I definitely recommend learning to use the HUD, it makes decision making much easier and will save you from EV- spots.

Looking at your stats it seems that your going to showdown to often and not winning a high enough percentage.

It might just be the sample size, but your turn cbet is very high. If you cbet without a made hand and get called, check fold the turn without improvement.

Hope that helped.
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Vp and pfr% are a bit low. Go for at least 7% on each.

Try going over the articles on table selection and re steals. Also go through your database on where you lost money and see if you did everything right. Its possible to do everything right and still lose.

Maybe even come down to NL10 for awhile till you have everything sorted out with your game. Even though you have the br for higher limits its probably better to have everything sorted out first. Knowing what you have to improve on that is. Good luck to you.

Matt.
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Well,
      Thanks for the good advice, it has made a difference to my game already.
      Also, I have started using a modified version of Gerv's SSS HUD (thanks).
      With a little help from my cards running better and the weekend fish this particular downswing is coming to an end. My BR is X2 since the last time I posted, not up to moving up a limit yet and anyway I will probably move up at 400BB to be on the safe side.
      Thanks everyone.
      The next downswing will not be quite so hard on my bankroll.
      But let's take it as it comes eh?
      D4_
      :)
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      400bb? that's too low imo.
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      400bb? that's too low imo.
      You may be right and I will beware to move down a limit early if I suspect my play is not up to the level.
      However, the BRM articles state to move up at 300BB (so up to .10/.20 at $150), but I thought doing it at 400BB ($200) would give me a bit of a safety net.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      SSS , I'm using 100 buyins myself, something like 2000 BB ( call me a nit )
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      The BRM ones are fine as long as your prepared to move up and down limits with regularity. I use 50 Buyins I don't need to move down whenever I hit a downswing.
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DE4DLY
      However, the BRM articles state to move up at 300BB (so up to .10/.20 at $150), but I thought doing it at 400BB ($200) would give me a bit of a safety net.
      No, it says 30 buyins, which is 600 BB (big blinds).
      On 10/20 cents tables your stack is $4, hence you need 4x30 = $120 according the strategy article, safer BRM is no mistake of course.
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Meiffert
      No, it says 30 buyins, which is 600 BB (big blinds).
      On 10/20 cents tables your stack is $4, hence you need 4x30 = $120 according the strategy article, safer BRM is no mistake of course.
      Sorry yes thanks for pointing that out. I have still been using the BRM from limit, I will go over the articles again to make sure I am not making any more costly mistakes.
      I am also keeping my limit bankroll separate from my NL SSS bankroll for now, because I am new to SSS and could easily go bust.