AKJTss

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $82.78 (82.8 bb)
      Hero (BB): $239.18 (239.2 bb)
      UTG: $100 (100 bb)
      MP: $39.28 (39.3 bb)
      CO: $35.50 (35.5 bb)
      BTN: $187.72 (187.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with :Tc: :Jh: :Kc: :Ad:
      UTG raises to $3.50, MP folds, CO calls $3.50, 2 folds, Hero calls $2.50

Flop: ($11) :Qs: :8c: :5h: (3 players)
      Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks

Turn: ($11) :Th: (3 players)
      Hero bets $10, UTG calls $10, CO folds

River: ($31) :Jd: (2 players)
      Hero bets $10, UTG raises to $35.50, Hero calls $25.50

UTG 36/30, 280 hands. Weak reg or regfish - not sure which. Ag 2.5.
      CO 52/13 - rec

Flat pre to keep in recreational. Would you ever 3b this vs utg range (14% open from UTG)?

1. Do you like semibluffing this turn or will we just get too many calls?
      2. I've been talking to colleague about river block bets recently and fact that I struggle to employ them in my strat. Here I couldn't decide whether to check to x/r or bet ~2/3pot. I decided that most of his turn calling range has at least some SDV on this runnout and that he doesn't bet much w/c/t. However if we bet big on this river it's pretty hard for him to call with worse than str8. I decided to block bet here to maximise chance of getting crying call from some hands and allow villain to maybe bluff raise, since our hand looks a lot like 2p/set when we choose this sizing.

So, I would love thoughts on this river. What other hands could we add to our thin value betting range (if any)? What hands do we block/bet fold here, for example?

3. When villain raises I think he should always have the same hand as us or a bluff. For this reason, I just called to avoid situation where we chop pot and pay more rake. I assume that he can't raise/call any hands other than the nuts - is that a fair assumption? Am I overthinking things and we should always x/pot the nuts regardless of whether villain can r/c worse?
      4. Results:
      $102 pot ($2.50 rake)
      Final Board: :Qs: :8c: :5h: :Th: :Jd:
      Hero showed :Tc: :Jh: :Kc: :Ad: and won $99.50 ($50.50 net)
      UTG showed :Ks: :4h: :Jc: :Kh: and lost (-$49 net)

Do you like villain's river raise? What if we had bet 2/3 pot?

Thanks
  • 12 replies
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Black
      I think you're repping J9/Q-high straight mostly by this line. Some bluffs too. Also, i think this is pretty mandatory raise for him on the river. I also like the turn line.
    • SeagalSteven
      SeagalSteven
      Silver
      No,not 3 betting this from BB against tight UTG.

I like your turn lead when flop went check.

Also like smaller bet river, maybe half pot max. You can induce bluff raises like here when you rep J9 ott and get more easily called by smaller straights which is quite likely holding this board run out but hard to call pot with it.

I think villain's raise bluff is fine against blocker with blockers :) You should always just shove though with nuts regarless he wont call with much, because I think rake is capped at 5% or 2.5d on Stars plo100, right?
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Originally posted by SeagalSteven

I think villain's raise bluff is fine against blocker with blockers :) You should always just shove though with nuts regarless he wont call with much, because I think rake is capped at 5% or 2.5d on Stars plo100, right?
      Jeez, wtf am I thinking. Of course. Sometimes I wonder how I make any money in this game...
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Versus UTG open you should 3bet around 5% in general and less than 4% from BB, without callers. Now there is a caller so your 3bet range should be damn strong there. Change that hand to ds, and you can start thinking about 3betting.

On the river I like that sizing, looks like a blocker bet with J9. And the rest you figured out already ;)
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Black
      AAJ9r bet/3bAI otr?
    • SeagalSteven
      SeagalSteven
      Silver
      I think calling would be better with AAJ9 than bluffing. If he has nuts he will call every time and if he has bluff you will win calling.

If he haven't got nuts he would need to have K9 to beat your flopped nuts, and second nuts kind of thin river raise when hero obviously has such nutwraps in his range.
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Black
      Originally posted by SeagalSteven
      I think calling would be better with AAJ9 than bluffing. If he has nuts he will call every time and if he has bluff you will win calling.

If he haven't got nuts he would need to have K9 to beat your flopped nuts, and second nuts kind of thin river raise when hero obviously has such nutwraps in his range.
      So if we're shoving AK otr, what's our bluffing range?
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Interesting. In order to have a bluff 3b range on the river we have to have some bluffs in our 1/3 pot betting range. AAJ9 doesn't seem to be an ideal candidate b/c then we end up bluffing with a hand we were betting for value and which indeed beats all his blocker bluff raising range.

Thoughts?
    • SeagalSteven
      SeagalSteven
      Silver
      Originally posted by Shevtshenko

So if we're shoving AK otr, what's our bluffing range?
      Hard to think anything reasonable. If you want to bluff something it would need to target his K9 straights, and assume he really raises them here. Otherwise you will have a hand that beats his bluffs anyway and he will continue only with nuts.

AAJJr not blocking hearts or K9(QT) could be it, if you somehow dont raise it pre.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      When we pot the turn, our range is made hands and blockers. Hard to see anything else.

Once opponent raises river he has AA/KK with hearts (blocker bluff) or T9+.

I wouldn't turn JJ to a bluff there, so the only part of our range suitable for bluffing is 99xx. Would we pot the turn 3way with KQT9?

Also, if we are bluffing the river, would we choose that sizing to induce a raise so we can 3bet bluff?
    • TheLearningM1ndset
      TheLearningM1ndset
      Bronze
      i am pretty sure there s no need even from gto standpoint after this R line to be bluffing the R after getting raised. reasoning being: u bet a supposedly merged range, it might signify u put most of ur nut range into other line: such as x/r or bet big, to start off with. now: him having the nuts, he should alw pot, so he can put in as many bluffs as he can to gain max EV over longrun.

so imo, him using a very suboptimal sizing here OTR (and imo this is tendencywise very strongly leaning tow bluffs on these limits) , which we even cannot and should not anticipate, there s rly no need to solve for that case.

i also strongly disagree that u need this hand ds to 3bet it vs 14% UTG..
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      vs 14% UTG range our 3bet from BB should be around 4% if there are no callers in between from GTO perspective. This hand is not in that 4%.