Anixiety

• FullMetalPoo
      FullMetalPoo
      Gold
      Hey guys

Recently I've been experiencing low moods and a lot of anxiety especially starting my poker sessions. I battle with anxiety most days but especially when it comes to starting my sessions. I would also experience the same anxiety when playing the popular MOBA League of Legends ranked games.

I understand that this may seem an odd topic to talk about but I feel talking to others that maybe going through similar issues mostly related to poker in this case would actually help.

A little about myself (certainly not in anyway trying to gloat) I recently graduated university with a degree in geology (rocks, earthquakes, volcano's etc). Prior to this I made a small living playing poker under the screen name CheapBaileys with the usual pipe dream after watching rounders. I have had amazing support from friends and family.

I have been so fortunate in my life so far (30 years old) and do my best not to take anything for granted. And it I guess it only makes sense to question how someone in my position can have reason to feel down and anxious. I don't have an answer to that.

I think that's why I'm reaching out. I was hoping maybe you guys have similar situations or some advice that would help.

The one thing I do know and that I can hang on to for now is that I love poker with a passion(not in an addictive sense), thinking about the good old days of Full Tilt, 2 months 2 million and watching Rounders. They keep me a float.

Sorry for the semi random post.

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen.

Jake
  • 2 replies
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      It felt like you are describing me, but 5 years younger and 0 support from friends and family poker-wise...
      Yeah I feel a big anxiety every time Im thinking of playing which prevents me most of the time and I end up postponing. But once I sit and am dealt a hand, I am like "this game is fucking easy, I have the same number of cards as the dumbass across of me, Ive got this shit".
      But its really hard to stay motivated to play every day when no one close to me plays or can at least understand what Im talking about.
      Sry that I couldnt be of help :f_frown:
    • FullMetalPoo
      FullMetalPoo
      Gold
      Originally posted by nsavov
      It felt like you are describing me, but 5 years younger and 0 support from friends and family poker-wise...
      Yeah I feel a big anxiety every time Im thinking of playing which prevents me most of the time and I end up postponing. But once I sit and am dealt a hand, I am like "this game is fucking easy, I have the same number of cards as the dumbass across of me, Ive got this shit".
      But its really hard to stay motivated to play every day when no one close to me plays or can at least understand what Im talking about.
      Sry that I couldnt be of help :f_frown:
      No just knowing I'm not alone is more help than you can imagine. I've felt pretty down the past week or so but the last few days have been so much better.

I'm talking to an old friend on Skype most nights now who plays online poker for a living and he has been massive help too , we go through HH's and tagged hands and end up on 12+ hour Skype sessions.

I recently moved back to my bread and butter games which are the reg speed 9 mans, they have low variance and this really helps me with the anxiety issues.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Maybe we will meet at the tables :)