How do i deal with this?

• crank314954
      crank314954
      Bronze
      8 times in a row NO joke, ive lost higher pair to lower pair. 5 to 1 fave

4 times in a row lost AK to KQ. 4 to 1 fave

This has put a major dent in my bankroll, im not doing anything wrong that I can see. Im at the point of folding aces pre flop to a all-in. Im expecting to get beat by the worse hand.

I almost smashed my labtop today. And am beginning to think pstars is rigged, which i know it isnt.

How have you guys dealt with these things happening ? i really need help mentally before i jump off a bridge
  • 8 replies
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hi ya Crank,

I have this happening to me but i just know that in the long term those cards will win the majority of the time. I just have a laugh about it, think to myself "next time i'll be the winner" and just move on to the next hand.

If its starting to tilt you that much almost to the point where you're playing with scared money (i.e. folding AA's prefolp) then i would suggest taking a break from poker till your heads back in focus and maybe read some psychology articles which you can find here.

Also this article about upswings and downswings may be of some use.

Regards,

-Steve
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      I lost 9 or 10 times in a row with AA :D
    • crank314954
      crank314954
      Bronze
      Thanks guys, I feel like im playing my best I can right now and not making to many mistakes. But this is just killing me.

I plan on pursing poker as it is my dream. Its tough having to learn the downswings, and dealing with tilt.

I guess I should spend more time learing and a little less time playing, 12hours a day is to much i think
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Here it is: Play at two poker rooms :)
      If you're downswingin' in one you won't in another if you play your best game :)
      Like me with PokerStars and Bwin :]
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Take a long break and stick to BRM. Dont worry about bad beats, since you played well, just worry about bad play.
    • ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by crank314954
      Thanks guys, I feel like im playing my best I can right now and not making to many mistakes. But this is just killing me.

I plan on pursing poker as it is my dream. Its tough having to learn the downswings, and dealing with tilt.

I guess I should spend more time learing and a little less time playing, 12hours a day is to much i think
      i used to feel exactly the same when i played nl, then i switched to fl and multitable, the suckouts are excessive, but after a while you tend to just raise an eyebrow, thing is you want these people to call with bad hands, that's where the profit comes from, it does even out trust me.
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      Used to be JUST like you, get upset, frustrated, doubting myself.

Best way I found to deal with it is telling myself I WANT those calls every time!

You WANT to be the favourite going in, long term is the goal here. Focus on the long term gains you will make and it helps offset the short term fluctuations you're going to experience once in awhile.
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      To become a winning player we need to overcome tilt...eventually.
      Playing poker is mental and emotional activity that shapes our mind over time.
      Whenever we spend hours in front of a computer playing poker we are training our mind.
      We need to be alert to that so we can avoid reinforcing bad mental habits and develop good ones gradually as we go along.
      Otherwise we will find ourselves becoming more and more frustrated, bitter and with highly developed unrealistic attitudes.
      This is a particular danger with poker.

Whenever we make a +EV play we congratulate ourself and feel good whether we win or not.
      Whenever we make a -EV play we give ourselves a reality check, as if we had found ourselves falling asleep at the wheel of a car.

If we get lucky we recognise it as luck and say to ourselves hey you got lucky, nice one.
      If the other guy gets lucky we say - nice one mate, you must be feeling good about that, but if you carry on playing like that you will be a poor man and I will be a rich man.

We need to cultivate positive realistic attitudes anyway in life and poker is a continual opportunity to do this, and recognise our weaknesses.

I find I tilt more when I make a bad play, I get angry with myself or if someone else wins with a bad play and that just turns my mind against myself and I find myself not enjoying the game and losing more.

That is my problem.

But the amazing thing about poker is it is such an opportunity to improve ourselves and make money at the same time.
      But it is a process, before we can become a winning player we have to relate to the losing player (if) we are and change.
      Gradually, with a focus on becoming a winning player, rather than winning a session or particular hand.
      Anyway, blah blah...

:)
      D4_