taking it slow so i understand - help please

• dnalloh
      dnalloh
      Bronze
      I have passed the quiz but not yet decided which site i want to play. I am a moderately experienced player (will write an intro in that forum soon), but have never played with any software.

My question is, is it advisable to have elephant from the very get go?

And also, is elephant "a poor man's pokertracker" so to speak?

And lastly, i have seen several posts in different forums about stats on players and ones self that look like 6.4/9.3/5.1 (completely made up of course) but i cant find any info on what these numbers even mean. I know that the higher level strategy articles are blocked to me until i reach a certain level, but any help here would be appreciated.

Just a fantastic site btw. Really looking forward to taking advantage of all the good things here!
  • 1 reply
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello dnalloh,

Since Elephant will also let you keep track of winnings & let you store your hands I think there is no negative impact of having it running straight from the get go. Even if you don't use the HUD straight away (although you could theoretically do this as well) its very nice to be able to review your sessions after they are done.

You won't really need the statistics at the lower limits - and can find out more about the relevant stats in this silver article (http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/1265/)

The 3 numbers usually listed are VPIP/PFR/AF - so voluntarily put in pot (how many % of the hands does the player play / pre-flop raise (how many percent of his hands does he raise pre-flop) / Aggression Factor (how aggressive is he)

Elephant is a nice tool and will evolve more and more as time goes on. For cashgame players it already offers most of the stats one could ask for even ;) So while it is still not done - I wouldn't really call it a poor man's PokerTracker.

Best regards
      SoyCD