This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Meh poker is dead, just fun

• figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      Hi pokerstrategysts,

Short introduction of me, I was professional poker player for ~6 years. After I was so tired of all the sitting at computer and all poker routine that I took a break from cards for 2 years. I was doing things absolutely not related to poker for this time. Now I am in a small vacation and decided to have some fun by returning to poker.

So not sure if I can call this a challenge, I think I will call it an experiment to see if it`s possible to win in this game after longer brake and absolutely no study of game at all for last 2 years.

I deposited 500$ on poker room and started playing, let`s see what happens.

I think I will start with NL10 fast poker type tables just to get back into habbit of playing and to get used to the interface of the game.

What happens after? Let`s see if I will succeed to move up till the end of the month and not go broke already :)

P.S. If some pokerstrategy support reads this, then I have a question. I`m not getting the PS points for playing on my room that I registered long time ago (+7years). Of course at that time I was getting the points. Perhaps you have changed conditions for this room or something. Meh.
  • 27 replies
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      The beginning is not too bad.

Let`s see what is happening in higher stakes and hope to not get crushed
    • Noname81
      Noname81
      Bronze
      How did you play 30 000 hands in 7 hours?
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      Originally I didn`t plan to make a post here, but one day I was surfing the web and got back to PS.com page which I haven`t visited for ages. I saw some forum sections and made a post. The graph is from last week.

I see the new players have a lot of struggle at the beginning of their career. I think the new players would have an interesting read about some "old" player experience of playing micros again and going from there. I`m doing it more just for fun than anything as I started to miss poker again and don`t feel comfortable to jump in the bigger games after such a long break.

By the way, graph of NL20 comming soon boys and girls :)
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      Hello everyone,

The second week is coming to the end and with mixed results. The first try of nl20 was not successful, but things with nl10 is going good. Perhaps I will give a second try to nl20 at the end of this week, will see.

I was running very bad, I hate when it happens when you`re taking a shot. I will add some hands, feel free to comment if you find them interesting.

$0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $29.41 (147.1 bb)
      BB: $26.25 (131.3 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $48.20 (241 bb)
      MP: $25.50 (127.5 bb)
      CO: $32.64 (163.2 bb)
      BTN: $24.83 (124.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with :Ad: :Qh:
      Hero raises to $1.20, 2 folds, BTN calls $1.20, SB raises to $2.20, BB folds, Hero raises to $48.20 and is all-in, BTN folds, SB calls $27.21 and is all-in

Flop: ($60.22) :Jc: :5d: :9d: (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      Turn: ($60.22) :5s: (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($60.22) :Kh: (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: $60.22 pot ($3.01 rake)
      Final Board: :Jc: :5d: :9d: :5s: :Kh:
      SB showed :3d: :Kc: and won $57.21 ($27.80 net)
      Hero showed :Ad: :Qh: and lost (-$29.41 net)

On this one I was sure he had Aces, but meeh:

$0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

SB: $20 (100 bb)
      BB: $24.34 (121.7 bb)
      MP: $17.80 (89 bb)
      CO: $17.63 (88.2 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $20.20 (101 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with :Jh: :Jc:
      MP folds, CO raises to $0.40, Hero raises to $1.20, 2 folds, CO raises to $2, Hero calls $0.80

Flop: ($4.30) :Kd: :3h: :Tc: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.30) :7s: (2 players)
      CO bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

River: ($4.70) :Jd: (2 players)
      CO bets $3.52, Hero raises to $18 and is all-in, CO calls $11.91

Results: $35.56 pot ($1.77 rake)
      Final Board: :Kd: :3h: :Tc: :7s: :Jd:
      CO showed :Kh: :Kc: and won $33.79 ($16.16 net)
      Hero showed :Jh: :Jc: and lost (-$17.63 net)

Let`s see how the journey will continue, this weeks graph of nl10 is coming soon
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      The second week is finished. Feeling a bit sad about the run at nl20 but overall things are looking good. Let`s see how goes the moving up next week.

The graph of nl10 so far:

My opinion of nl10 games: The level of players is very low. In general, there are no good regular players. Most of the regs have huge leaks in their game. The games are beatable easily with a solid gameplan.
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      Last week finally got some downswing. I were running very bad and felt like I could not win any pot, but at the end looking at the graph, I think the results could have been much worse :)

Let`s see this week how goes the moving up plan. Need to finally win somethign at nl20 also. :f_confused:
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      Hello, boys and girls. Time for next update.

This time have been struggling with a variance a little bit, but it should end soon :)

• Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      Which room are you playing? Nice swingy uptrendy results!
    • anduke
      anduke
      Bronze
      Awesome challenge there mate! Have a similar experience myself, but haven't really made the jump to get back into poker fully yet :) Keep up the good work!
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

Sorry for the big break in the thread, I was not playing too much in the Christmas and new year.

This is the graph of this year so far. As I said, I haven`t played too much this year.

Some conclusions about the games so far:

• Bankroll is more than doubled.

• I have stopped playing nl10 and moved higher.

• nl10 is the worst place to play poker. Try to avoid it.

• For any player who is interested in building the bankroll I would recommend stop playing nl10 and start play from nl20 as the game of nl10 is absolutely ridiculous. Most of the so called "regs" on these games have so little clue of what they are doing and the rake is so big that at the end of the day all this randomness of the game will eat you alive.

• Nl20 and higher starts to look like a "playable" game without all those self called "Phil Iveys" from nl10 doing tilting ****

• If you`re interested in any advice hit me up :)
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      As[i] a Microstakes coach I have the duty to tell you that it's just in your head, worse players are always better for you
      But if I'm being honest
      I felt exactly the same way when 1st moving up :D NL10 was a limit i just skipped and played very little haha
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LemOn36

But if I'm being honest
      I felt exactly the same way when 1st moving up :D
      Confirmation accepted, hahahah :D
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      Which site is it, that NL20 is easier than NL10, sounds like a good site!
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim128
      Which site is it, that NL20 is easier than NL10, sounds like a good site!
      Honestly, I have played in more than one site but the experience of nl10 I have only on 2 sites. Few years ago, because of running bad, I had a choice to do - to play nl10 with good BRM or nl20 slightly under rolled. On that days I was playing on pokerstars, now looking back at the decision, I think it was the right thing to do as I moved back up quite fast. Although there was psyhological factor involved, I was used to play higher stakes and it was not fun to play nl10 and seeing all this ridiculous plays done by so called "regs" and just random guys. Adding up the huge rake of these games it looked like a complete time waster. Seeing what they do was pissing me off more than losing some BI`s.

Now I`m playing in another site, but regarding nl10 I don`t see major changes in the game. Donkfest stays a donkfest. Maybe it`s just because I haven`t played few years, it`s and I have forgot everything (it`s not impossible) :)
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      Hello,

It has been one more week of poker, I played quite a lot poker (at some moments I had 6 fast poker type tables going), so I should have some hands :)

Can someone recommend me some kind of medicine against spewing please? I feel I was spewing a little in some spots this week.

To tell the truth I have no idea of how I have been doing this week as I haven`t looked at the graph or the results. Guessing from the feeling, I think, I should be winning something. (Just an old habit of not looking the results in case I have a loosing streak)

I had one interesting hand that I will share with you guys:

No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players

Hero (SB): (137.2 bb)
      BB: (119.7 bb)
      CO: (99 bb)
      BTN: (97.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with :Kh: :Ah:
      CO calls 1BB, BTN calls 1BB, Hero raises to 6BB, BB folds, CO calls 5BB, BTN folds

Flop: (14BB) :3h: :4c: :8h: (2 players)
      Hero bets 7BB, CO raises to 28.5BB, Hero calls 20.5BB

Turn: (70BB) :2s: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: (70BB) :6d: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets 55BB, Hero calls 55BB

Results: 180BB pot (11BB rake)
      Final Board: :3h: :4c: :8h: :2s: :6d:
      Hero showed :Kh: :Ah: and won 169BB (80BB net)
      CO showed :Jh: :Qs: and lost (-89BB net)

The graph: coming soon...
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      The day of graph has arrived.

Yeah, I was not shocked when I saw the graph. I was running quite bad and still right now I`m running not very good. So Let`s hope the variance will be nicer to me this week.

Perhaps for the good run I should go to visit the church? Any advice on that?
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Gold
      Sick volume. Are you playing NL25 now then?
      I'm grinding NL10 atm, I've put in almost 50k hands this month and i'm not even up that much.
      Feel like I've put in so much work for next to no gain :f_frown:
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DecMate
      Sick volume. Are you playing NL25 now then?
      I'm grinding NL10 atm, I've put in almost 50k hands this month and i'm not even up that much.
      Feel like I've put in so much work for next to no gain :f_frown:
      Hey DecMate,

I stopped playing nl10 for the reasons I have already mentioned above in the thread.

If you`re interested send me your skype, we could do some sweat session or video review. ;)
    • imfar
      imfar
      Bronze
      Or join study group :f_cool: both of you :f_biggrin: