AA UTG shortstacked

• crank314954
      crank314954
      Bronze
      Hey guys just wondering how you play AA UTG any tips?

The last 2 tourneys ive made good runs, Made a mistake late ended up short stacked,

Two times (different tourneys so players didnt have the same read) I get AA UTG now both times I limped only to get called by a low pp that hits a set, or something bogus like j10 and flopping trips.

My greed is praying that I get a raise some where to re shove. but no luck.

Is this a bad play? or do sometimes do you have to take a chance?

Any adviced would be great.

Thanks SHANE
  • 11 replies
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      I raise AA from UTG , I don't like the limp/raise because:

it doesn't suit my playing style, if it's early in a tourney I want to build a pot and since people pay any bet for any crap raising is the way to go.

if it's late in a tourney I'm raising because I never openlimp on that stage

if it's a cash game , I raise because I want to get the pot bigger

I very rarely do that with aces , maybe if I have some donkey raising all in on every hand and want to get someone else in , but I think aces are too good of a hand to waste them limping.
    • scotalad2006
      scotalad2006
      Bronze
      So your short stacked UTG with AA right?

How short stacked are you? compared to the blinds? How many BB have you got? the more info you give the better a answer i can give in my opinion.

Me personally i would just shove, the chances off you getting a call are high. Other players would see your short stacked with the blinds about to go though you, so they may see this as week-ness. You could be shoving with a huge range of hands..

The only way i would limp is if i was wanting some-body to raise after me so i could then shove, but the problem here is, i would not want my Ace's in a 3/4 way pot, which is possible as another player may call the raiser, if you then shove, the other caller will be pot committed to call your shove, so that makes 3 players in the pot. This is a big no no, i want my aces heads-up with some-one else. As they have a better chance of holding up..

Raising from UTG with aces, is also a no no for me,you will be pot committed so you are going to shove on the flop any-way...

So its a straight shove, if i get no call, i would be happy with the blinds...
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      You're more likely to get called if you open shove the aces than if you limp/shove them. Limp/showing is so obvious, and bad play..
    • shaywh
      shaywh
      Bronze
      I limped once on similar occasions with kings but that was when I knew the BB won't resist the tenpt and go all in if nobody raises. on high levels collecting blinds and antes is also enough for shortstack and will allow you to survive until the next PP or big ace.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Never ever ever ever ever limp w AA from anywhere...............what's the point of letting the blinds play for free and they flop a jammy double pair?
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      Limping with AA makes baby Jesus cry.

When I'm less than 10bb in stack size, and get dealt AA in ANY position, I'm pushing. I push with a lot less when I'm that short stacked as well.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Whenever you limp AA a sweet little cat dies. Don't do it! Seriously: don't!!!

;)

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TribunCaesar
      Whenever you limp AA a sweet little cat dies. Don't do it! Seriously: don't!!!
      If that was indeed true...I would limp EVERY time ;)
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Once in a session ill consider a limp with UTG ish aces, but only if im very sure I can get at the least a likely blind steal attempt behind me.

If you dont get a raiser to re-raise into you play your aces very, very slow. You only hold top pair and anything can be 2p against. You need to see monsters under every bed in a limped pot w/ AA.
    • mariop21
      mariop21
      Bronze
      if you limp aces then you must be able to fold the hand after flop.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      If I ever limp my aces it is because I am playing with players that are at least somewhat good and I want to give them the impression that I don't always have trash when I am limping. If there is tons of cold callers after one guy raises behind you, I'd say you are forced to put in a reraise. However if you limp your aces and it is folded to the big blind (for example) who raises I'd suggest a call. Raising now would scream QQ+,AK and there is no point for him calling. I just call, see the flop and play it slow. The whole point is to show how passive you played your aces and give your opponents a confusing read.