if everybody plays this way

• seany3
      seany3
      Basic
      then how is the game skill if everybody plays as you say?

poker is surely about judgement and feeling at the table?

if every player plays the same hands and folds the same hands where is the skill in the game?
  • 4 replies
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      Every player will not play the same, People will still bluff people will still get lucky.

But IMO, the guides given here at pokerstrategy are great, specially if you aren't that good at poker but when after learning most of the do's and dont's i started making changes in my own gameplay in a way I thought was best and resulted in better wins. In short what I read Is like a foundation, and the rest I have to learn by myself through experience.

There are plenty of PRO's that still play 76 offsuit and even calls raises. That's why poker is great, It's always new in a way or two.
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Where is the skill in playing the guitar if everybody uses the same chords and scales? ;)

Where is the skill in computer programming if everybody uses the same languages & syntax? ;)

For everything new you learn, there is a foundation that everybody shares. You have to cover all the basics and get really familiar with them before you can even think about skill. The same goes for poker.
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nafar84
      Where is the skill in playing the guitar if everybody uses the same chords and scales? ;)

Where is the skill in computer programming if everybody uses the same languages & syntax? ;)

For everything new you learn, there is a foundation that everybody shares. You have to cover all the basics and get really familiar with them before you can even think about skill. The same goes for poker.
      Great post, really. Pretty much sums it all up. Cheers.
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      uhm basically... those articles your reading are for playing against the normal donks on the lower limits... To beat these limits you simply have to play with these basic guides...

That's where skill comes in... you know more than these donks playing nl2... just by reading a starting hands chart... Now that's a skill.. same way you learn to cook a cake by reading the recipe... Now that's a skill rite?... but everybody can bake that good cake by reading the recipe... yah? but they are all to much donks to spend time on reading a recipe... maaaan I want a cake riiight now.

then how is the game skill if everybody plays as you say?

the fact is everybody play with "FEELINGS" and "INSIGHTS" and bullshit words to justify their terrible play... only a minority of poker players has read enough articles to beat the lower limits... they simply sit down and think they're good enough to crush nl100 yessir...

remember a quote from 2+2 "Poker is like sex, everybody thinks they're good at it"...

by reading articles & studying your game you make your self skillful at this game...

I mean the basic articles might look like YOU DO THIS... AND NOT THAT... But that's just the basic knowledge you need to win at the game...

When you get into the higher limits you start to need to collect as much information as you can and then start trying out your own theories... The player that can analyze the spot he's in better.. is def the more skillful player... but why does he analyze the spot right?... because he was born with the "Poker Skill" nah because he read articles... tried out theories and talked strategy with his fellow ps.com member all day...

So to be more skillful than the next guy you simply have to have the right personality... and read more than him of articles... put these strategy's in your game, study your game more than the opponent... and then your good...

lmao I hate when I sit down to write few lines and I end up writing big ass post no one will read... so I'll stop here... I still have bunch on my heart to say about this but... meh I need to study more lol