Bigdog’s non-bankroll diary challenge

• bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Silver
      Hi everybody. I am starting a new challenge, which will NOT be results oriented. One can probably just call it a blog, but I still want to set some goals.
      I am a recreational player with several failed bankroll challenges under my belt. I play mainly 6-max NLH, with occasional MTTs and sometimes PLO H/L or stud for distraction.
      Currently I am playing NL10, typically a volume of ~ 5-7000 hands per week. I have rebuilt my bankroll to the level that I could easily start playing NL25 again, but I am lacking the confidence and skills.
      Also my bankroll is distributed over PS, ipoker and 888. PS has the best traffic and software, but I hate it due to shitty rewards system.
      I have been working with our PS coach w34z3l which definitively gave me a boost in my game. Theory-wise I may be ready for the next step, but I have some huge leaks, which cost me dearly:
      1) Auto-piloting. Playing without focus, just clicking buttons
      2) Playing too fast
      3) Playing without a poker plan for the session
      4) Playing while distracted (TV, Internet)

So, the idea is to get some structure into my poker by:

a) Keeping a diary (minimum 2 x per week, ideally after each day with more than 500 hands)
      b) No NLH on Mondays and Tuesday (reason is, that I think I am overplayed after the weekend and end up playing relatively unmotivated or saturated against mostly serious regulars.)
      c) Weekly goals (poker or otherwise)
      d) Weekly review (not results oriented)

Goals for this week:
      - Just get started
      - post at least 1 hand
  • 3 replies
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Silver
      [b]Last weeks review (ending November 12th):

Way too loose from EP and MP. Plan for immediate future to tighten up, maybe even slightly more than necessary, unless I have reads on villain behind me.

Calling 3bets also too wide. Should consider 4betting more vs regs and folding more vs unknown or recs. Similarly, expect opponent without lots of stats to deviate.

Below is a hand which may have ended differently, had I taken into account that villain may be calling wider than expected from his stats.

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $10.05 (100.5 bb)
      BB: $10 (100 bb)
      UTG: $11.05 (110.5 bb)
      MP: $10.15 (101.5 bb) - VPIP: 13, PFR: 11, 3B: 0, AF: 0,3, Hands: 54
      Hero (CO): $15.86 (158.6 bb)
      BTN: $10.73 (107.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with :Qd: :Ad:
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.25, Hero raises to $0.75, 3 folds, MP calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.65) :Ac: :2h: :3d: (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $1.05, MP calls $1.05

Turn: ($3.75) :Qc: (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $3.60, MP calls $3.60

River: ($10.95) :Ts: (2 players)
      MP bets $4.75 and is all-in,

Monday + Tuesday
      Played about 700 hands of PLO L/H. 2-3 tabling, but 2 tables is more than enough atm. It is interesting how often one can end up with the second best hand. Letting theses hands go early enough is so much more important than in NLH.
      Anyhow, going to the lowest stakes and playing a new game variant, can be quite fun.

Today NLH again.
      Tighten up in EP and MP,
      Tighten up vs 3bets or 4bet, especially OOP
      Respect aggression from, unknown. Unknown is everybody with < 200 hand in DB
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Silver
      Yesterday played about 700 hands over 2 sessions. I was quite card dead and stopped playing when I got bored. Red line was quite flat, so that was ok.

But, I think I missed some barreling spots and also overplayed some PP's out of frustration.
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Silver
      Yesterday played about 700 hands over 2 sessions. I was quite card dead and stopped playing when I got bored.

Red line was quite flat, so that was ok. I wasn't just passively clicking buttons, but staying sufficiently aggressive.

Still, I think I missed some barreling spots and also overplayed some PP's. POssibly, because there were not enough opportunities to make something happen? I Don't know....
      Will have to keep an eye on it