[NL2] Player type that drives me nuts!!

• pdfbq
      pdfbq
      Bronze
      There is a player type that I still have not cracked.

It has a 50% VPIP or more, does not raise preflop but is winning.
      The pattern that you see below I have seen so much now and I start believing that this type found a way of bluffing that works for them.
      Another reason they are winning is because of their weird stats players tend to call their all ins but.... because they play so many hands (many speculative ones) they also hit much more straits than you and me.

PLEASE!! It is not about this particularly hand.
      It is about this type of player. What is your strategy against those guys???

My strategy is to be really REALLY careful against them but maybe there is a better way.
      Problems are you can not put them on hands.. If his PFR is like this it probably limps KK as well.

So again.. Not this hand.. THIS PLAYER! :f_biggrin:

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (UTG): 112.5 BB
      MP: 161 BB (VPIP: 27.42, PFR: 19.35, 3Bet Preflop: 5.56, Hands: 63)
      CO: 141.5 BB (VPIP: 49.37, PFR: 1.27, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 82)
      BTN: 112.5 BB (VPIP: 15.07, PFR: 13.24, 3Bet Preflop: 10.14, Hands: 226)
      SB: 134.5 BB (VPIP: 21.62, PFR: 16.22, 3Bet Preflop: 8.11, Hands: 116)
      BB: 138.5 BB (VPIP: 22.27, PFR: 18.18, 3Bet Preflop: 3.75, Hands: 231)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:heart: A:club:

Hero raises to 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, CO calls 3 BB, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (10.5 BB, 3 players) 3:club: J:spade: Q:heart:
      Hero checks, MP checks, CO bets 1 BB, Hero calls 1 BB, MP calls 1 BB

Turn: (13.5 BB, 3 players) 7:spade:
      Hero checks, MP checks, CO bets 1 BB, Hero calls 1 BB, MP calls 1 BB

River: (16.5 BB, 3 players) T:heart:
      Hero checks, MP checks, CO bets 8 BB

Hero calls 8 BB, fold

CO shows 6:diamond: 6:club: (One Pair, Sixes)
      (Pre 54%, Flop 9%, Turn 5%)
      Hero shows J:heart: A:club: (One Pair, Jacks)
      (Pre 46%, Flop 91%, Turn 95%)
      Hero wins 31.5 BB

PS Recovering here :) . 10 Buyins below EV but hey, who is complaining.

• 7 replies
    • LacsapR
      LacsapR
      Bronze
      I had exactly the same problem yesterday. Had 2 of these players at the table and I lost almost every hand to them. When I hit top pair (e.g. tens) the just called me down and boom on the river comes a overcard, I am pretty careful and check and suddenly they simply shove and I have to fold. Looking foward to answers, really have the same problem :D
    • la55i
      la55i
      These guys are passive so be very careful when they show aggression. But it doesn't mean you have to start checking with your good hands. I would probably not bluff them that much with air and when I have something decent I probably bet 3 streets quite small to get light calls from some mid pair hands etc..

I think the biggest problem ppl have when they play against this type of fish is that they change their game too much.. You suddenly start opening very loose because there is a fish behind and then you make huge barrels with weakish hands. Villain likes to see the flop with many hands but it doesn't mean he hates money.
    • pdfbq
      pdfbq
      Bronze
      I am tighting up against them.

But do you think they bluf much?

I think so now but am interested in other opinions. Would my line here be profitable against this type of player?

Never ever call an all-in against these guys without having the (almost) nuts by the way. Lots of players fall into that trap I think.
    • LacsapR
      LacsapR
      Bronze
      Tbh I also think they Bluff a lot. In my hands they were really aggressive in almost every hand I played against them.
      I also tightened up....but once an overcard appeared, my top pair became useless and they pushed me out of the hand.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      This is where reads come in
      like 90% of these guys have blatant tells at micros
      Like the 1bb bet with underpair
      I'd be willing to say it's extremely likely he bets bigger with better hands for example

It actually becomes really easy to hand read against them the more you watch them play
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      We have a whole episode at NL10 about adding hand reading to your game tomorrow night
      and adding it on top of just playing your hand by hand category like top pair, monster, draw etc.
      Hope to see you guys in chat and give some input!
      The Evolution of a Micro Grinder (COACHING THREAD)
    • nutural
      nutural
      Bronze
      I really hate them, but I'm happy they exist.
      Had a guy today with 82/2 :f_biggrin: and 70% won at showdown. :f_ugly: :f_ugly: :f_ugly:
      I think you have to be picky with them but aggressive. This 1bb bets should be stopped as it allows them to go for their K3o two pair or trips very very cheaply.

I'm also happy because they are the living test if you have tilt control. For 1 hour he was stacking everybody (typical T3o flush vs AA) with all streets of calling etc etc.
      BUT
      later on variance took care of him and he left the table stacked. But a lot of us went crazy off their A Game and that is the big lesson.

p.s. the funny end of the story is that he was stacked the same way he stacked people around. His 99 vs a 64o two pair on river . Life is a ....