[NL20-NL50] NL 50 SH: AKo

• Michailewic
      Michailewic
      Bronze
      Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 45883
      The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

CO: $50.00
      BTN: $25.00
      SB: $118.75
      BB: $50.75
      Hero (UTG): $49.25

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is UTG with K:club: A:spade:
      Hero raises to $2, CO raises to $6.75, 3 folds, Hero requests TIME, 1 fold

Villian: 12/8, AF:1, no 3-bet before (50 hands). I would usually go all-in preflop but his stats scared me... since he raised UTG raiser.
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Nice hand, well played. I don't like to go all-in with AKo vs a NIT.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      5 handed and that small hand sample I´d likely 4-bet/get it all-in.
      it also depends how aggressively have you played before.
      Fold has less variance and also fine.
    • ShipItHere
      ShipItHere
      Bronze
      Hi,
      Why did you only list the options of fold\shove preflop.
      What's wrong with only calling the villain's 3bet having a 12$ pot more or less and about 30-35 $ left in both stacks.
      Then you play post flop - you hit nicely, u shove u miss, u fold.
      (I know its hard postflop play but easier than just shove pre and coinflipping)
      Also, if that player is so tight, he would throw away his QQs\KKs on a scary Ace flop - in that case you win nicely.
      If its a low flop, you can check\fold or cbet\fold to reraise.

So allin in all, I think folding is too weak and shoving is just coinflipping while you guys still both seat on 80 BBs more or less.

Would love to hear your opinions here.
      Cheers

PS - why ever go allin holding AK if you are not against a shortstack ?
    • Michailewic
      Michailewic
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ShipItHere
      Why did you only list the options of fold\shove preflop.
      What's wrong with only calling the villain's 3bet having a 12$ pot more or less and about 30-35 $ left in both stacks.
      PS - why ever go allin holding AK if you are not against a shortstack ?
      You cannot call because you miss the flop 2 of 3 times. And if you hit your K or A, all other worse hands would fold and you would not be paid out.

Moreover, being OOP in this case really sucks and you cannot extract value to justify the call.

It is easy to go all-in with AK preflop with 100BB. Since generally, tight range of the opponent for going all-in is QQ+, AK against which you have 40% equity. Many opponents however are likely to go all-in with wider range. Further, if you 4-bet you have very big fold equity. But it the villain shoves, you have to call due to odds.

Same applies for QQ. However, if you play FR, it really depends on players because sometimes it is good to fold QQ and AK if some players goes over the top e.g. from EP.
    • generals007
      generals007
      Bronze
      Over 50 hands sample size I'd 4bet/fold.
    • csnmf
      csnmf
      Global
      4 bet fold is the worst option as explained by Michailewic, you have two options either 4 bet call or fold to the 3bet, I like to just fold as has been mentioned he's 3 betting a UTG open he plays 12/8 and this is his first 3 bet.
    • generals007
      generals007
      Bronze
      Yeah I wasn't considering odds for the call. But if villain comes over the top with decent raise (deepstacked) I'd definitely fold. We just never reach that point, so my post was kind of stupid, but of course if I have the odds I have to call.