This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

HUSNG's are absolutely pointless...

• TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      You basically have to win 70% to show the slightest profit and the entire game is just bingo. In the last 20 SNG's I've lost 13 and all 13 were all ins where I was the favorite. You guys don't honestly think people have the time to go hours without receiving any pay for work, do you? I've even heard of people going days, weeks, and months of losing these the same way I describe above. I'm sorry but I'm not a kid like those players. I'm 35 years old and if it doesn't have an hourly profit associated with it, I nor any other adult has time for it.

What's the point of repeatedly beating my opponent if he just gets the money? There's nothing else like this in the world and for obvious reasons. It defeats the entire point of the game.

The sites don't pay you to play these or have big bonuses attached to them? Where's the money come from? Minimum wage is $7.50 here in the States. Where's my $7.50? If it requires a ton of work and effort to make $7.50 or more, there's absolutely no point to these.
  • 146 replies
    • sherriffatman
      sherriffatman
      Silver
      one 'word' for you: "noqqx"

(sharkscope him) ;)
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sherriffatman
      one 'word' for you: "noqqx"

(sharkscope him) ;)
      I looked him up. What exactly should I be noticing? How he was a huge loser on one network but then ran even for a while on two others before he just absolutely crushed it?

Obviously the guy had a tremendously deep roll to begin with. He was losing 15k before he started winning. Don't you realize that virtually nobody has that kind of throwaway money? If the game doesn't start producing profit quickly, it's not economically viable. Nobody can go days, weeks, and months without any profit and instead just have money taken from them for no apparent reason.

The US economy is exploding as we speak. Battling away on your PC all day and night for pennies and dollars just has no place in this day and age. They're going to have to make the game more profitable or poker is just going to continue to fade away into the shadows.
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      I don't know why someone's down voting this thread. If I get the money in as an 80% favorite 5 times in a row and lose 5 times in a row, don't you understand that I and just about anyone else on earth is done? We're onto something else. There's absolutely no point to playing a game that takes your money even when you win. Again, maybe you have time for this nonsense when you're 21 and have absolutely nothing to do but when you're an adult time is money. Nobody has the time to work and make no money, even when they're entirely entitled to it. And yes - When I outplay my opponent for 35 minutes and then get him to put his whole stack in as an 18% favorite, I'm entitled to the pot. Otherwise, there's no point to the game.
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TakingAShot
      I don't know why someone's down voting this thread. If I get the money in as an 80% favorite 5 times in a row and lose 5 times in a row, don't you understand that I and just about anyone else on earth is done? We're onto something else. There's absolutely no point to playing a game that takes your money even when you win. Again, maybe you have time for this nonsense when you're 21 and have absolutely nothing to do but when you're an adult time is money. Nobody has the time to work and make no money, even when they're entirely entitled to it. And yes - When I outplay my opponent for 35 minutes and then get him to put his whole stack in as an 18% favorite, I'm entitled to the pot. Otherwise, there's no point to the game.
      Hey there. I have seen your name a few times and I took a look at your posting history and it looks like you're not having the results you would like with poker. Sorry to hear that. I hit a big downswing myself and it is really upsetting. Unfortunately luck plays a huge part of poker in the short term. Your winrate is very weak compared to the natural variance of the game, so you need to play many games over and over again to get the randomness to begin to cancel itself out. I use to play hyper HUSNGs and the swings are about as bad as they get.

If you don't think poker isn't for you that is okay. The swings are brutal, and it can feel like everything is plotting against you. You see Poker is a game with no memory, so getting sucked out on four times previous doesn't change the likelihood you will get sucked out on again. To be honest poker doesn't care about what you deserve. It just does its thing. If you are wanting a game with little variance I suggest something else. The result of a day of grinding can't be the reason why you like it because you are going to be mad all the time. I find the challenge of the results having little correlation with the correct decision (in the short term) to be one of the things that make it so cool. If you want something with a higher positive feedback loop I would suggest an MMO or something. They want you to win and feel good.

Best of luck in future endeavours.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I'm 35 years old and if it doesn't have an hourly profit associated with it, I nor any other adult has time for it.

What's the point of repeatedly beating my opponent if he just gets the money? There's nothing else like this in the world and for obvious reasons. It defeats the entire point of the game.

The sites don't pay you to play these or have big bonuses attached to them? Where's the money come from? Minimum wage is $7.50 here in the States. Where's my $7.50? If it requires a ton of work and effort to make $7.50 or more, there's absolutely no point to these.
      Hi TakingAShot,
      I'm 64 and I do have time for it. I enjoy the game, and I'm reasonably profitable -- enough for my needs anyway.
      I suggest HUSNGs are not likely your best game. At least not NLHE.
      I wouldn't play them at all myself -- I'm just not good enough. I've played 5-Card Draw HU tournaments successfully, but they don't run often enough to make a living at it.

You do know about variance, right? In a format like HUSNGs, swings are huge. Spingos are the same. I had a look at my Spingo graph today and it aint pretty -- Over the last 200 $1 Spingos, I was well up over the first 150, and the last 50 have eaten up all my profit and then some. Am I worried? No -- it will come around. I like the Spingo format, and they're fun, and the random 6x or 10x makes them even more fun

You're right about minimum wage. However, if you win the Sunday Storm just once a year it will fix that right quick. MTTs are where the big money is, but to play them, you have to be good. I can cash, but I've yet to final table a big one -- except for freerolls.

I do everything wrong. I keep my eye on the results most of the time. I play one or two tables, but I do a bunch of other stuff at the same time.

The big difference I see is that I enjoy it whether I win or lose -- but I don't lose all that much or all that often. Perhaps if I was getting the $h1t kicked out of me night after night I'd leave and find something better to do. There is a player who regularly plays PLO Hi/Lo that has lost over $500 this year. Yet night after night he (maybe a she) is at the table, making bonehead moves.

Find the game you like, learn to play it like a boss, and over time you will win.
      Games like 2-7 triple draw, PLO8, RAZZ and the mixed games offer a lot of opportunity, since few play them. Good ol' Fixed-Limit 5-Card Draw is my favourite, because you can play the odds, and as long as your bets are made with the odds on your side, you can't help but win long term. Oh -- you have to actually know the odds of course.

All the best,
      VS
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Chowchow12
      Hey there. I have seen your name a few times and I took a look at your posting history and it looks like you're not having the results you would like with poker. Sorry to hear that. I hit a big downswing myself and it is really upsetting. Unfortunately luck plays a huge part of poker in the short term. Your winrate is very weak compared to the natural variance of the game, so you need to play many games over and over again to get the randomness to begin to cancel itself out. I use to play hyper HUSNGs and the swings are about as bad as they get.

If you don't think poker isn't for you that is okay. The swings are brutal, and it can feel like everything is plotting against you. You see Poker is a game with no memory, so getting sucked out on four times previous doesn't change the likelihood you will get sucked out on again. To be honest poker doesn't care about what you deserve. It just does its thing. If you are wanting a game with little variance I suggest something else. The result of a day of grinding can't be the reason why you like it because you are going to be mad all the time. I find the challenge of the results having little correlation with the correct decision (in the short term) to be one of the things that make it so cool. If you want something with a higher positive feedback loop I would suggest an MMO or something. They want you to win and feel good.

You seem to miss the point: Poker, as it is, is for very, very few people. That's why it's popularity is so low. Look at what you yourself just wrote. Who would want to play a game like that? "Don't be results oriented" is the most ridiculous statement ever made in any competitive venue. Results are what matter. That's the point. We don't have an at bat in baseball where the batter strikes out and then we spin a wheel to see which base he might wind up on. He struck out. The at bats over. There's no reason for a river and it totally breaks the game.

An MMO? Didn't you read? I'm 35. And you're right - They just feed you "feel good". That's not a competitive venue. I play Chess most of the time. It's a real strategy game. When I pull off a +6 material combination, we don't then roll a set of dice to see if it really counts or not. What happened happened. We don't need to bail out the loser after the game is decided simply so he returns to the table. We don't need a sample size of 18 months filled with 18 hours a day of chess to see who's better. A game or two will clearly display that.

In total truth: I was at a Mensa meeting a few months ago and this very topic came up. Not one person out of ~50 at the meeting played or had any interest in poker and everyone cited all the reasons I am. No intelligent person can see a point to this game. Chess? Look at the best chess players in history and currently. They're brilliant. Many of them have the highest levels of education and intelligence. Now let's look at today's top poker players. There's NOTHING special or admirable about them. They're all just gambling degenerates who are willing to sit and take massive, massive losses to chase that next win. None of them are overly intelligent. None of them have had any success in anything else. The games are full of laughter, alcohol, arguing, telling stories and jokes, etc. It's a ridiculous drinking game, at best.
    • Noname81
      Noname81
      Bronze

You seem to miss the point: Poker, as it is, is for very, very few people. That's why it's popularity is so low. Look at what you yourself just wrote. Who would want to play a game like that? "Don't be results oriented" is the most ridiculous statement ever made in any competitive venue. Results are what matter. That's the point. We don't have an at bat in baseball where the batter strikes out and then we spin a wheel to see which base he might wind up on. He struck out. The at bats over. There's no reason for a river and it totally breaks the game.

An MMO? Didn't you read? I'm 35. And you're right - They just feed you "feel good". That's not a competitive venue. I play Chess most of the time. It's a real strategy game. When I pull off a +6 material combination, we don't then roll a set of dice to see if it really counts or not. What happened happened. We don't need to bail out the loser after the game is decided simply so he returns to the table. We don't need a sample size of 18 months filled with 18 hours a day of chess to see who's better. A game or two will clearly display that.

In total truth: I was at a Mensa meeting a few months ago and this very topic came up. Not one person out of ~50 at the meeting played or had any interest in poker and everyone cited all the reasons I am. No intelligent person can see a point to this game. Chess? Look at the best chess players in history and currently. They're brilliant. Many of them have the highest levels of education and intelligence. Now let's look at today's top poker players. There's NOTHING special or admirable about them. They're all just gambling degenerates who are willing to sit and take massive, massive losses to chase that next win. None of them are overly intelligent. None of them have had any success in anything else. The games are full of laughter, alcohol, arguing, telling stories and jokes, etc. It's a ridiculous drinking game, at best.
      Stupidity is infinitely more fascinating that intelligence. Intelligence has its limits while stupidity has none
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Bronze

No, silly! You want to be results orientated in the long run, and not the short run. If the results didn't matter in the long run, nothing else i said would make any sense :P . Your MENSA comment actually makes me think you just showed your troll card. Good one man. You had me for a bit there. The irony of what you are saying is actually a pretty good troll. I get it. "Everyone: this game is a waste of time! I have too many good, smart things to do! Chess is much better and popular! That is why it is on TV all the time while Poker isn't! Chess after Dark is best tv show! I am smarter than all of you! I got into a club that is for people who write good test! I am so smart and have so many busy, important, adult things to do, so I am going to post here all tell you all about it. I can't believe I am still here posting about this dumb game when I could be doing better things. I defs could be doing better things. No free time on my hands. Not at all. Not 1 free time." HEH I get the joke ;) . Cause people who are actually busy doing smart people stuff wouldn't be on a poker forum talking about it.. they would be doing it, but we AAALLLLL get the joke ;) . In your next one you should talk about how Elon Musk invited you to head a team at SpaceX, but you turned it down because you didn't want to live in Cali.

See ya around!
    • totte1992
      totte1992
      Bronze
      This thread gave me a good laugh at work!

Ty for that :)
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Bronze
      Try playing mixed games with fixed limit then... It would feel more like chess than NL/PL games.
    • BadHabit1989
      BadHabit1989
      Silver
      why are you not calling with 20% equity and win every tournament? you just have to be smart and adapt to how the system works => easy money
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      Again: Not sure why someone would down vote this thread. Must be another one of these strange poker addicts who have no legitimate defense for the game.
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nsavov
      Try playing mixed games with fixed limit then... It would feel more like chess than NL/PL games.
      Or I could just keep playing Chess since it's infinitely deeper, richer, and better than this ridiculous bingo you guys pretend is a strategy game.
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      Originally posted by totte1992
      This thread gave me a good laugh at work!

Ty for that :)
      Poker's definitely for you. No counterargument, no actual statement of any kind, just mindless babble. No wonder you like a game where the winner is determined by spinning a wheel.
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Stop playing poker and go work.

You will get 100% profit per month :f_p:
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Cpwpoker
      Stop playing poker and go work.

You will get 100% profit per month :f_p:
      Yes - I and anyone else who isn't a felon with a 3rd grade education would and will make more money working just about any job on the books than they will at online poker. That's the point. When we sell a deal at work, we don't then roll dice, spin wheels, and rely on an offshore gambling site's algorithm behind the scenes to see if we REALLY sold the deal or if it just goes to another guy who wasn't even working that day. "Variance" basically means "game's broken".
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      All right, we get it - you don't like poker.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      If it requires a ton of work and effort to make $7.50 or more, there's absolutely no point to these.
      exactly

most people who dream of playing for a living are delusional, though it's still possible. "hardest way to make easy money"?
      not everyone plays to be pro though
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Bronze
      “Variance" basically means "game's broken".

You’re silly. Variance is the expectation of the squared random variable minus the square of the expectation. Not broken, Hahahaha. Good one. You should go into stock trading you will love it even more than poker. Like sooooooo much more. Quants using machine learning must be worse that 3rd grade Degens. Like 1st grade zombies!! Yaaa use that line next.