This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Aggressiveness

• rhoedell
      rhoedell
      Basic
      Hi folks,

i would like to hear some thoughts of you concerning aggressiveness while playing. A lot of books (e.g. Super Systems) and good players see this somewhat as their main edge towards weaker players.
      After some time i definitely agree. If u got premium hands, or flop the nuts, it is a lot better mostly to bet accordingly, then to try to sell or slowplay ur hand.
      But when u play online and u combine the aggressive approach with the hints given here (play patiently, only play premium hands), i found out, that its sometimes hard to get the action u want.
      e.g. u folded like 15-25 hands, because they were crap, and u were raised being in the blinds. so no play from u for a load of hands. Now u get ur premium hand, (lets say AK) and u bet like 9x the big blind.
      In this case 80% of the time all ppl fold. and u win the small and probably 1-3 big blinds.

On the other hand if u mix up your game style, and raise with weaker hands (e.g. suited connectors) from time to time, the calling habbit in online games shows up (cause u bet too often) and u got to lay down your hands a lot, or waste money in follow up bets.

So somehow u are stuck between a rock and a hard place here. U want action with ur premium hands, but u dont get a lot of action (unless being pretty lucky) with them, if u only play premium hands.

I know there cant be an easy answer to this situation, but i would like to hear your thoughts on this, and probably how u deal with it.

and furthermore, thank you guys for this great platform and for all the efforts u put in it. its great!
  • 1 reply
    • LastEmu
      LastEmu
      Bronze
      Well, you're trying to apply PS.de's limit strategy to a no-limit game. And when you raise your AK, usually its just 4xbb+1xbb for every limper, and most of the time, you're not up against 5 limpers =x

Either way, the SHC is not meant for NL. Get some experience in limit poker and you'll understand better.