Was my decision correct? PokerStars 1$ million turbo takedown

• goren123
      goren123
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I was playing on the PokerStars 1$ million takedown which means:
      4000 players get paid (out of about 11K registered). 2000th-4000th = 90$. 1000th-1999th = 150$ ....
      The bubble was getting closer and I held about 5BB stack, there were about 4050 players left.
      I was first to act UTG and held AQs... I pushed all-in. What do you think about it ?

Eventually, UTG+1 called holding a pair of nines (he had a bigger stack, about 15BB) and he won the pot. which means that I had finished the tournament 4030th winning nothing.

What do you think was I supposed to do ?
  • 18 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Just fold your AQ and wait till ITM.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      I would fold everything but AA probably... definetely not going all-in with AQs UTG, when you can be sure to get ITM.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      People tighten up on buble esp shortstacks so it may take longer than 5bb stack could hold up considering that there should be antes at this time, ain't so?
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      People tighten up on buble esp shortstacks so it may take longer than 5bb stack could hold up considering that there should be antes at this time, ain't so?
      tighter? OK, but there're still 4k players, so evenif it was tight as hell, hero should hold up at least 2 orbits with 5bb.. I doubt ante is so big with 4k remaining players in FPP tournament ;)
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Push and play ftw imo
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      I'm also concerned about the dude who called you w 99.........
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Yeah, I don't mind a push... and never forget that when you push on the bubble people often give you alotta credit and you have greater fold equity than in a post bubble situation... the risk is a bigstack who doesn't mind gambling, but I prefer a push and play for the win...

also sucks to cross the bubble with no FE left...

And in fact I think if I was the villain with 99 I'd very possibly call and UTG push from a short stack...
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      As close as you were to the money i would stall each hand to the maximum before timing out just to make sure that I end up in the money.. FullTilt starts going hand for hand when they reach the bubble im not sure how PS works though
    • StusMagic
      StusMagic
      Bronze
      ps has hand for hand but i dont think on tour like that you even get to hand for hand coz every round its more then 1 player out so bubble can be burst at hand where 4010 players were in tour and after hand like 10-15 are out.But did you use time bank coz I usually try to use whole time bank and all possible time that i have.
    • watfordjc
      watfordjc
      Bronze
      I'd personally be folding here because I'd rather finish ITM than on the bubble.

If I'm playing to finish ITM and then aim for first, I'd be folding - and I'd be watching the tournament lobby and using my timebank if available to see if enough players go out so I'm guaranteed to finish ITM with a push anyway.

If my mind in that situation was "I'm not that far from being in the money, should I fold?" I'd follow my gut feeling and not push. You were waiting for 50/4050 or 1 in 90 players to go out.

Not played on pokerstars for a while, but if it's 9-seated tables then you'd only need one player for every ten tables to go out in approx 1.5-2.5 orbits. I'd see no problem thinking for a long time about each hand and then folding here.

I don't think there is a "correct decision". Some play for 1st, others for finishing at least ITM. Against 99 it was a coinflip situation and unless the table was shorthanded I don't think I'd have been calling with 99 with so many people to act after me.

When I'm shortstacked and on the bubble in MTTs I take my chances of being able to fold to the money and my risk aversion into account. If the lowest payout means nothing to me, I'll get my chips in on a possible coinflip. If the lowest payout is meaningful (e.g. if the buy-in was low compared to it) I'm likely folding every hand not caring if it means my last hand is my ante or blind putting me all-in.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      Push and play ftw imo
      Exactly, depends what were you planning to do. To get ITM (ez fold) or to get big money (ez push).
    • xxxdannyxxx
      xxxdannyxxx
      Bronze
      easy push
    • michaelg5pro
      michaelg5pro
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Just fold your AQ and wait till ITM.
      yeah, well, that really can be a line, looking at tables and shortest stack, so if you play just getting itm - and having that nearly dead zone stack, op is talkin about it can be very correct. in another situation with better stack i stick to vahedis "in order to live..."
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      easy push if you want to play to win. if you don't then fold and/or spend your fpps on another thing.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      If $90 is a big win for you.
      Then fold and get ITM and use your timer ;)
      Or if the $90 doesnt bother you and you want to go for the winzzz then ship it in and hope for the best.
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Silver
      take as much time as you can then fold.
      The bubble will burst with this many players definately within one circuit and quite possibly before you have to play your blinds.
    • arthur722001
      arthur722001
      Bronze
      any pocket pair in that situation and with a bigger stack is a call the 99 is one of the best hands to play on PS or Jokerstars saw 99 in a tourney win 11 times against AQ AK AA QQ so there is no surprise that it happened at this point in the game.
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      easy fold for ITM and easy push for the big win but with 5 BBs left second decision is questionable since it's a turbo and you have little chance to get in the top 2000

imo the caller made an excellent move here if he's playing for a bigger win. he only risks 1/3 of his stack, he'd be playing a coin flip against only one opponent and even if you're a shorty AND in the bubble, he can also expect players push with a wider range since it's a turbo. if he loses, he can hold up until ITM, but if he wins he can tighten up and hope for bigger cash