This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[Micros] Opening Ax suited

• CucumbaMan
      CucumbaMan
      Silver
      Hey guys!

I've heard in a coaching video on youtube (not sure which) that opening preflop with Ax suited is never a mistake.

What do you think about this? Is it true, that at the micros you should open all or almost all your suited Aces even from UTG?

Thanks!:f_drink:
  • 6 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      Hi CucumbaMan,

Opening all of the suited aces should be totally fine at NL 6max. Personally I do not open A6s-A9s from UTG but that is just my preference. It is not bad to open those hands.
    • CucumbaMan
      CucumbaMan
      Silver
      Thanks for the quick answer, coach! Appreciate it!
    • la55i
      la55i
      No problem :f_drink:
    • mathkid
      mathkid
      Bronze
      I feel so but remember post flop that OOP we should C bet the flop a lot and IP float a lot. Also, Ax suited is a wonderful bluff catcher.
    • lvlUPguuy
      lvlUPguuy
      Basic
      On Micros u dont have to if u think u are overplaying them some of the time. You could only play EP ATs+ or add A5s-A2s. So if u dont feel good playing them, just click the Fold button ;) .
    • Iscre4m
      Iscre4m
      Bronze
      Axs should be an open from all positions 100%, if you understand when to F cbet and T cbet as a bluff.

Let's take a look at what do people play at microstakes and how we an exploit them. I see that many fun players love to play prety cards - 78s, 89s, J9s, 64s. These cards are hitting flushdraws and straights and they kind of battle vs our TP type hands. Now, let's come up with a preflop strategy how to beat them. We open all Axs hands which really dominate those hands and hit the nut flush over a smaller flush.

As for bluff part. F cbet backdoor FD's and barell OTT (OOP) when hit a FD. Bet OTR when hit flush, otherwise give up. IP just take a free card at micros (consider ranges if turn bet is OK).

We win from FEQ + EQ and thus don't need to over do it. (Remember, just because Villain didn't fold this Flop, doesn't mean that this F cbet didn't make you money in a longterm. 100x these flop cbets, or turn cbets are required to see the results.

Then again against some opponents different lines are more +EV. cbet flop, x/r turn - vs floaters (when he bets a lot vs missed turn cbet and din't fold to F cbet). And vs regulars (somewhat adequate) i x/r balance (not GTO, because I'm too strong anyway) my nutflush draws vs my sets on boards like 976tt, 732tt, etc. I don't intend to fold to raise though and often look for some straight outs ax well. Like Ah7h on 8h6h5s. (This line because I x/f most of my overcards and expect Villains to be unbalanced with Flop bets.)