Taking notes

• 6 replies
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      Wouldn't even bother at low limits unless they are a multi-tabler or you have run into them a few times. Most players you won't ever see again. Thats my experience from PokerStars, might be more useful for smaller platforms.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GunFlavoured
      Wouldn't even bother at low limits unless they are a multi-tabler or you have run into them a few times. Most players you won't ever see again. Thats my experience from PokerStars, might be more useful for smaller platforms.
      I agree with this for Stars, but for smaller rooms like Titan notes are essential as there are many regulars
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      Just a few things I keep notes on other than what I get from Elephant
      1) defends blinds
      2) will limp with Arag
      3) chases flush, less than nut flush
      4) over aggressive when bluffs
      5) total donk...unpredictable...plays EVERYTHING

anything else that I happen to notice during play too, it all depends on the player and what I've seen them do more than once over time.

Data in Elephant and the HUD is very helpful too.
    • Abe1919
      Abe1919
      Bronze
      On FTilt i use green markers for weak players (weaker than me) and then yellow,orange and red for the better players,i also type stuff but i think it would be innapropriate to tell what that would be. :D
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      well, there are some key aspects that you should look for in your opponents play

Preflop is a bit complicated, because you are looking for many things

main things:

open ranges/liming ranges

3bet (steal/resteal, 3bet/fold to 3bet/call 3bet/4bet, squeeze)

Postflop you want to know:

how does he play his made hands (agressive - valuebet/protection or passive - slowplay/pot control)

how does he play his draws - passive/agressive

how often does he bluff.

The rest goes for small details. like weird lines or weird plays or anything that caught your attention.

If you make it a habit to check every hand that goes to showdown, you will get a ton of info that you can use) but don't underestimate non-sd pots, you can extract a lot of info from those as well.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GunFlavoured
      that's not the best attitude)
      you are actually right from the practical point of view - you might not get a chance to use your notes due to the huge players pool at the lower stakes.

However, you should still do it.

Taking notes is actually a skill. You need to know what are you looking for and more importantly, you need to learn how to use your observations) it has to be trained and if you start earlier, you will have an advantage later.

Taking notes requires focus and observation) You have to pay more attention to the game and this is a good thing.

Often times you can use your earlier notes at the same game) sometimes we get so distracted and forget what happen 20 minutes ago)