This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL5] AQs in 3bet Pot

• LacsapR
      LacsapR
      Silver
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $5 (100 bb)
      BB: $6.90 (138 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $5.62 (112.4 bb)
      MP: $4.71 (94.2 bb)
      CO: $5 (100 bb)
      BTN: $5.44 (108.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with :Qc: :Ac:
      Hero raises to $0.15, 3 folds, SB raises to $0.45, BB folds, Hero calls $0.30

standard open raise, we get a 3bet from SB I think easy call here - vs BB 3bet I'd consider a tight fold, what do you think?

Flop: ($0.95) :Ah: :7c: :9d: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.18, SB raises to $0.45, Hero calls $0.27

Villain checks although he has initiative - either he slow plays or he has TT, JJ, QQ, KK but still there I'd expect a conti bet. KQ, QJ, KT, KJ I don't see here as 3bet vs UTG openraise...what do you think?
      ....anyway I bet small to let him call his middle pairs and worse hands...good bet sizing?

he x/r, maybe as answer to my small bet as it appears pretty wak. easy call for me here.

Turn: ($1.85) :Kc: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.89, Hero raises to $4.72, SB calls $3.21 and is all-in

we pick up additionaly the nut flush draw and now he leads the turn. His betting line doesn't make sense for me. We have a strong hand and a strong draw, so I decided to push all-in. We still have fold equity I think and still a lot outs to improve to a set, 2 pair or flush. Thoughts?

River: ($10.05) :9s: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $10.05 pot ($0.42 rake)
      Final Board: :Ah: :7c: :9d: :Kc: :9s:
      SB showed :Ad: :As: and won $9.63 ($4.63 net)
      Hero showed :Qc: :Ac: and lost (-$5.00 net)
  • 8 replies
    • TurokRider
      TurokRider
      Bronze
      I would never fold to a 3bet with AQs vs blinds. Not even close.

Your bet OTF is too small. Make it at least 35-50% pot. Most pairs will still call and so will any ace.
      His raise doesn't really mean anything after your tiny bet. Normally check-raises are strong but this could just be a reaction to your "wierd" betsize.
      OTT, I would call and see a river. We have plenty of showdown value and a nutflushdraw and position. And I don't think we have a lot of fold equity, only vs very weak hands (which we want to continue).
    • la55i
      la55i
      Preflop is quite standard. I would also call vs BB 3bet.
      Villain can definitely have strong hands he plays this way, and because this is SB 3betting UTG open it is actually quite hard to see many bluffs.
      You get a nut flush draw OTT which is nice, but because villains line looked quite strong I would say you are way ahead/ way behind. Shoving the turn is turning our hand into a bluff. I would just call and re-evaluate OTR.
    • LacsapR
      LacsapR
      Silver
      all right, so I overplayed here obviously. thanks for your replies :)
    • greatpk
      greatpk
      Bronze
      I think the shove is fine, because then we gain some fold equity. And even if we are beat, we still have around 25% to improve. Since we have A we block AA, unfortunately he had em this time. Also by shoving we do get value from Kx hands and i dont really think he has 99 or 77s. Since most likely he wouldnt 3bet them pre flop.
      Since him having AA is very unlikely the only hand we are behind are AK and KK in my opinnon. And the rest of hands we are ahead. So i dont think the shove was a mistake.
    • montel111
      montel111
      Bronze
      I did not see the shove play. A reraise would have given you the information I feel
    • TurokRider
      TurokRider
      Bronze
      Originally posted by greatpk
      Also by shoving we do get value from Kx hands
      No way Kx is giving value if we (effectively) shove. We may get value if we call and get a blank river
    • nitrol
      nitrol
      Silver
      Preflop is a standard call.
      The first important pont is the small xr on flop on this board. Villain shows that he has a TP+ hand and I think our turn raise is burning money. We should just call and see what the river brings. If villain bets on this river, I would fold.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Gold
      Pre is standard.
      I think checking back here is good. We have backdoor clubs covered and are probably in a way ahead/behind situation.

Either way out hand is only worth two streets of value max, and getting the stacks in here is not going to make money in the long run.