This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

regarding open size for ante game

• JackieHoo
      JackieHoo
      Silver
      NO LIMIT CAME ,100 BB STACK , SB 0.5BB ,BB 1BB ANTE 0.5BB per each one ,fullring game ,so total is 6bb when the game start. How to make open 6x/7x/8x? If there are limpers ,how big I should open ?
  • 5 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Pot odds rule.
      if you open 6BB pot is now 12 BB.
      The big blind already has 1.5 BB in the pot, so needs to put in 4.5 to call, which gives him pot odds of 12:4.5 or 2.6:1

So any hand with 28% equity or greater vs your opening range is an OK call.

I was a bit surprised to find that this is any two cards...

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    66.51%  65.66%   0.85% { 66+, A8s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KJo+ }
      BU     33.49%  32.63%   0.85% { random }

So I must have done something wrong.
      Most probably in assuming you should open 6x.
      Try the same for 8x -- the idea is to restrict BBs opening range.

All the best,
      VS
    • JackieHoo
      JackieHoo
      Silver
      this is interesting , without your calculation , I even don't know how to proceed and which kind of hands should be choosen, now I feel something different.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Yeah, I kinda confused myself, too :coolface:
      I'll see if there are some math-adept mods (or others) that can help here.

Peace,
      VS
    • la55i
      la55i
      Oh boy, I don't really play ante games and haven't studied these much.

The big blind already has 1.5 BB in the pot, so needs to put in 4.5 to call, which gives him pot odds of 12:4.5 or 2.6:1
      Are you sure it works like this? I thought the antes go straight in the middle of the table and when BB has to make the call, he still has to call 5bb, so he would have only 1bb invested?

Then I'm not sure how much we really should start increasing our open sizes. Trying to make villains odds worse increases the pot a lot, which makes stack to pot ratio smaller, which then again affects our range a lot. I would instead just play a lot looser and dominate villains postflop :)
      Also, if you are playing against recreationals they might not realize how good odds they have and they might overfold a lot vs smaller sizings.
    • JackieHoo
      JackieHoo
      Silver
      acctually ,this is the Chinese software ,called De Pu Quan , this is hardly say this is poker room , the game is start from 1/2 ,1/2/1(ANTE) ,1/2/4(STRADDLE), 2/4, 2/4/1 ,etc ,and here I am just considering the maths behind it, some ante is not reasonable ,just hope to know how to make open with sucn ante