[NL5] 88 vs 3bet, call the river?

• LacsapR
      LacsapR
      Silver
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $7.04 (140.8 bb)
      BB: $5.08 (101.6 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $5.86 (117.2 bb)
      MP: $7.43 (148.6 bb)
      CO: $5.40 (108 bb)
      BTN: $5.56 (111.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with :8h: :8s:
      Hero raises to $0.15, 4 folds, BB raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.35

Standard open raise, we get a 3bet from the BB --> we don't have the odds to call by Call20/Call15 rule. Therefore my question:
      is 88 already strong enough to call with not only for set mining? Which pockets do have the strenth to call here?

Flop: ($1.02) :Tc: :Ts: :7h: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.49, BB calls $0.49

Villain checks which should be autoprofit situation, so I bet half pot. Do we have fold equity vs. overcards (AQ, AK maybe AJ should be in his range as BB 3-bet)?

Turn: ($2) :Qh: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

not a good card for me - I check behind. Maybe he tries to bluff catch me?

River: ($2) :3d: (2 players)
      BB bets $1.44, Hero ?

now on a blank he bets again...maybe OTT he really tried to bluff catch and tries to get some value now. Or he turned his hand into a bluff...should we call?
  • 6 replies
    • MatoStar
      MatoStar
      Silver
      I think, that 3bet call is close, but I would rather prefer fold, if you aren't a loose player, because BB range is strong vs Utg and people on microstakes usually don't 3bet like a bluff so much. Flop is ok, he can has AK,AQ,KQ so we don't want to get free cards for him (but sometimes he can check AA-JJ) T- the queen hits more his range, so check is fine, but when on the turn would come some small card, then you can bet something about half pot. And R- for me fold, because I think, that he won't bet AK, or some showdown value l, so usually he will bet for value hands like AQ, KQ,AA,KK,QQ and JJ,AK(87s,76s) checks.

But it's just my opinion, I am too only NL5 player :D
    • TurokRider
      TurokRider
      Bronze
      I would call 88 here, preflop.
      I like your bet OTF as he checks it, but I would have made a second bet on the turn.

His bet on the river seems strong to me, especially because of the wierd check-call on the flop. Really feels like he tried to trap you, that said, I'm unsure if I could resist calling in the heat of a session.
    • Bebabcsinya
      Bebabcsinya
      Gold
      BB vs UTG 3 bet is very tight especially on micros. I wouldn't mind calling here with 88 against an unknown player but I would definitely fold here if I were you.
      I do not really get your flop thinking. Do you think he cannot have overpairs or trips here? There is not a thing like autoprofit situation in poker especially when his range can be very wide.
      Anyway flop you can bet small against his Ax hands as you did but after he called I am on checkfold
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Gold
      88 is a fold pre, but it's not exactly a terrible call. It's just hard to carry on postflop vs a 3b vs UTG. I'd stick to 10's+.

Flop is fine, but that's the only bet I'd invest without improvement.
      On the river you have a bluff catcher, I'd never be calling here. You'll more often then not be up against 10's+.
    • nitrol
      nitrol
      Silver
      We can call with 88 when we are IP postflop.
      On river we should not call as our bluffcatcher is way too weak.
    • LacsapR
      LacsapR
      Silver
      ok thanks guys, so I called and he had AK but I'll fold next time :D