SSS Haters

• FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Hi ,
      Been playing yesterday SSS 10NL and got poket JJ , Raised 50c (1 limper) and only SB called me with AQ.
      flop came 3 rainbow cards below J , I shoved all in and SB called (he had 20$). river came Q , and when he took the money he started cursing "Stupid SSS players " blah blah...

Does this happens a lot ?
  • 33 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Yes. The fact is SSS players are really annoying if you play with a big stack - so people go on rants all the time in chat. It's kind of funny.
    • tytyty2121
      tytyty2121
      Bronze
      Of course we hate Short Stackers.

They are the leeches of poker, feeding from the money of the Big Stacks, then leaving the tables as soon as they double up.

If you were playing this way in a live cash game, you would run into trouble very quickly.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      I haven't come across it myself. I'd ignore it though. The BSS is just annoyed that he can't intimidate you with his big stack.

It's a perfectly sound, effective strategy. It's up to the BSS player to adapt to your play and not call a SSS player's raise unless he has a real hand.
    • tytyty2121
      tytyty2121
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      The BSS is just annoyed that he can't intimidate you with his big stack.
      LOL - it could not be less true.

I guess you suggest that the big stack would try to bluff you out a pot because of his big stack.

On low limits, this rarely works because most players are not good enough to lay off even the 3rd best hand. So if you try to intimidate someone with a big stack you are more than likely to get caught.

I can see two reasons why one would play SSS.

1 - you are a beginner and don't know what you are doing. You play SSS in order to minimize your growing pains.

2 - you are an experienced player but dont have the balls to put your money on the line/are afraid top pee your pants when time comes to make a decision after the flop.

In case 1, you cannot complain to be called stupid because you are literally stupid (you don't know what you are doing). You are indeed a stupid SSS player.

In case 2, well in that case you are no longer stupid. You are just a parasit. Even more reason to dislike you.
    • FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tytyty2121

They are the leeches of poker, feeding from the money of the Big Stacks, then leaving the tables as soon as they double up.

If you were playing this way in a live cash game, you would run into trouble very quickly.
      I feel you , SSS isn't fun at all , I manage to sit around 15 minutes before I get sick of it. The only reason i do it is to increase my BR a bit so I can play SnG without worries. (Or soon move to Big stack).

Btw , In live cash games with friends I usually come out with X6-7 from my buy in , from strange reason , it doesnt happen in the internet :-D
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      Who gives a rat's ass what anyone else thinks anyway? You're going to find comments like that no matter what strategy you play, no matter what platform, no matter what level. Get used to it.

The only thing on your mind is how to implement a strategy of some sort that reduces risk and increases bankroll. SSS fits the bill, great, for some others its BSS...others its something else.
    • batmanbatmanbatman
      batmanbatmanbatman
      Bronze

On another hand, we love Big Stackers that hate us. They do mistakes when playing against us and we love all players that do that, be them Big Stackers or just regular fish.
    • StusMagic
      StusMagic
      Bronze
      big stack who hate short stackers are fishes coz you can easy outplay sss player
    • mariop21
      mariop21
      Bronze
      All sites should have tables where min buy in is at least 60% of the max buy in. Its really annoying when all the tables have 5-8 shortstack players.
    • PokerAddict36
      PokerAddict36
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tytyty2121
      The BSS is just annoyed that he can't intimidate you with his big stack.
      LOL - it could not be less true.

I guess you suggest that the big stack would try to bluff you out a pot because of his big stack.

On low limits, this rarely works because most players are not good enough to lay off even the 3rd best hand. So if you try to intimidate someone with a big stack you are more than likely to get caught.

I can see two reasons why one would play SSS.

1 - you are a beginner and don't know what you are doing. You play SSS in order to minimize your growing pains.

2 - you are an experienced player but dont have the balls to put your money on the line/are afraid top pee your pants when time comes to make a decision after the flop.

In case 1, you cannot complain to be called stupid because you are literally stupid (you don't know what you are doing). You are indeed a stupid SSS player.

In case 2, well in that case you are no longer stupid. You are just a parasit. Even more reason to dislike you.
      Lol, look a BSS player with no skill who is frustrated =)
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      And its becoming more and more difficult as a short stacker to find a table with big stack players enough to make it worthwhile. Lately, most tables I find have maybe one or two BS players and 7 or 8 SS players.

Not going to make any money against a SS player.
    • tytyty2121
      tytyty2121
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PokerAddict36
      Lol, look a BSS player with no skill who is frustrated =)
      I am not frustrated.

I just have no respect for SSS who are not beginners.

If you dont want to play post-flop then go play five-card draw.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi tytyty2121,

Let me respond to your post as best as I can.

You guess wrong about my suggesting BSS players are generally bluffers. I didn't mention bluffing. My point is this: Suppose you are a BSS player sitting on the button, holding a small pocket pair or suited connectors. A short-stacker raises in front of you. Well, you should assume he has a good hand and think carefully before you call his raise. If you insist on playing every hand, don't be surprised if the SSS player wins the occasional pot from you.

I agree that you are likely to play SSS as a beginner. In fact, for NL, the Poker Strategy quiz is all about SSS. You have to pass the quiz in order to receive the starting capital, so it's fair to assume a lot of beginning players on this site will be SSS players. Well done – you've just offended a large number of players on PS by calling them "parasit" (sic) and " stupid" and "leech".

I am a beginner player too, and I haven't decided what type of poker I will play once I have a decent bankroll. It may be SnGs, or NL SH, BSS or MTT or Omaha, or even SSS. I will make that decision based on what I enjoy, what is most profitable and what carries the least risk. I won't decide what to play because someone insults me on a poker platform.

You are wrong when you say that if you play SSS you don't have to make decisions after the flop (think of freeplays or when you raise with A,K and get called by two players but you missed the flop). I agree, though, that you probably make less decisions.

You are also wrong when you say that because you don't know what you're doing (as a beginner) therefore you are stupid. I don't know how many metres high Mount Everest is. That doesn't mean I'm stupid. Ignorance and stupidity are two very different things. If you are a beginner, there are many things you do not know. But if you are reasonably clever, you will be able to learn them. (On the other hand, it's pretty impressive to be able to demonstrate both ignorance and stupidity in the same post, so well done again.)

When you say someone is a 'parasite', what do you mean? Do you mean because you win money from a person and then don't continue playing until you have lost that money back to them? In your first post you said of short stackers:
      "They are the leeches of poker, feeding from the money of the Big Stacks, then leaving the tables as soon as they double up." Would you prefer it if the short stacker stayed until he had lost all the money he'd won? If you doubled up, would you carry on playing forever? or would you try to keep some of your winnings? If you keep playing until you have given all your winnings back, it will be a very long time before you build a decent bankroll. Good luck with that.

The short stack strategy is very simple. You don't play many hands, but you play them aggressively. It doesn't apply just in cash games either. If you are playing a tournament and you lose a few hands, your stack drops. That means you have to tighten up -- you can't play so many hands. You wait until you have a very good hand and then bet heavily. It's exactly the same principle. There's nothing parasitic all about it -- it's just common sense. Why don't you try shrugging off that rather sizeable chip on your shoulder?
      :rolleyes:
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Nothing against SSS, but at shared rake sites, you are in fact leeching off the BSS players - they play more hands and take more risks and generate more rake, but you both recieve the same back.

Besides that I don't really see what the problem is, just two different styles of playing.
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      In the OP, the big stack called a push on the flop after missing it totally. He had 6 outs to improve. He curses the SS player for actually having a hand, which if he thought about it long enough, should have known the range SS would have pushed with. After missing the flop, he STILL decided to call and was 3:1 (? correct me if I'm wrong) on hitting his overcard on the turn or river.

He got lucky, and first thing he does is insult the BETTER player imho.

NH sir...you're on my list. You can always call my push with nothing if you like.

Wonder if he realized the mistake he made? Doubt it.
    • FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by StusMagic
      big stack who hate short stackers are fishes coz you can easy outplay sss player
      How ? by slow playing and re raising ?
    • tytyty2121
      tytyty2121
      Bronze
      You guess wrong about my suggesting BSS players are generally bluffers. I didn't mention bluffing. My point is this: Suppose you are a BSS player sitting on the button, holding a small pocket pair or suited connectors. A short-stacker raises in front of you. Well, you should assume he has a good hand and think carefully before you call his raise. If you insist on playing every hand, don't be surprised if the SSS player wins the occasional pot from you.
      Did I guess wrong or did you not understand what I said? Playing every hand is not what I would call intimidating. This would mean that my presence only would intimdate the SS. It is rather the opposite. My Big Stack is like a target in my back. It is an invitation for all SS to come feed themselves.

Using my stack to intimidate someone would mean trying to push him out of the hand by forcing him to commit a large part of his stack.

I agree that you are likely to play SSS as a beginner. In fact, for NL, the Poker Strategy quiz is all about SSS. You have to pass the quiz in order to receive the starting capital, so it's fair to assume a lot of beginning players on this site will be SSS players.
      As I said in another post, I have no pb with beginners playing SSS. You are right. They are not stupid, they are just ignorant. next time I witness someone calling them stupid SSS, I will ask him to watch his language and call him ignorant SSS. Is it too offensive? Then maybe non-knowledgable SSS!

Well done – you've just offended a large number of players on PS by calling them "parasit" (sic) and " stupid" and "leech".
      Should I feel sorry for them? Consider their feelings maybe? I call them what they are. I understand that lots of PS members are beginners. They probably don't know much about poker. Never played in a live game before and take everything taught by PS as the undeniable truth. It is time for them to realize that shorstacking and living the table as soon as you double up is not OK. Ever heard of rat-holling? Nowadays, because of the huge number of tables available it must be a lot more difficult for the poker room to prevent it. (most probably they dont care anymore). It does not mean that it is OK.

I am a beginner player too, and I haven't decided what type of poker I will play once I have a decent bankroll. It may be SnGs, or NL SH, BSS or MTT or Omaha, or even SSS. I will make that decision based on what I enjoy, what is most profitable and what carries the least risk. I won't decide what to play because someone insults me on a poker platform.
      Good for you.

You are wrong when you say that if you play SSS you don't have to make decisions after the flop (think of freeplays or when you raise with A,K and get called by two players but you missed the flop). I agree, though, that you probably make less decisions.
      Thank you. The main aim of the SSS is to minimize the losses made because of post flop mistakes and that's legitimate for beginners. Is it for experienced players? I think it is time for them to take the training wheels off and see how they fare in a grown up world.

You are also wrong when you say that because you don't know what you're doing (as a beginner) therefore you are stupid. I don't know how many metres high Mount Everest is. That doesn't mean I'm stupid. Ignorance and stupidity are two very different things. If you are a beginner, there are many things you do not know. But if you are reasonably clever, you will be able to learn them.
      As I said before, this is just a matter of language. Stupid, idiot, igoramuses, inexperienced, beginners... Whatever, it just means that you don't know what you are doing. Whether it is because you were born stupid or just because you started to play a week ago, you still don't know what you are doing.

(On the other hand, it's pretty impressive to be able to demonstrate both ignorance and stupidity in the same post, so well done again.)
      Thank you. :D

When you say someone is a 'parasite', what do you mean?
      I mean that they kill the action. They use to much space at the table without adding any value to the table. They are OK to take your money but would not want the risk to lose their own money. I would not be surprised if most of them are also bonuswhoring.

If you doubled up, would you carry on playing forever? or would you try to keep some of your winnings? If you keep playing until you have given all your winnings back, it will be a very long time before you build a decent bankroll.
      This may surprise you but yeah some players actually continue to play even when they double up. This is how it has been played for ages until online poker and its myriad of different tables came along. You are free to leave whenever you feel. If it is just to put your winnings aside and sit at a different table with the minimum buy-in, then yes I have a problem with that.

The short stack strategy is very simple. You don't play many hands, but you play them aggressively.
      Couldn't you do the same thing with a big stack?

You wait until you have a very good hand and then bet heavily.
      I will say it again - Couldn't you do the same thing with a big stack?

There's nothing parasitic all about it
      I guess by now you know on which side of the fence I sit. :P

Thanks for the lenghty reply. Enjoyed the talk.
    • FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by STR82ACE
      In the OP, the big stack called a push on the flop after missing it totally. He had 6 outs to improve. He curses the SS player for actually having a hand, which if he thought about it long enough, should have known the range SS would have pushed with. After missing the flop, he STILL decided to call and was 3:1 (? correct me if I'm wrong) on hitting his overcard on the turn or river.

He got lucky, and first thing he does is insult the BETTER player imho.

NH sir...you're on my list. You can always call my push with nothing if you like.

Wonder if he realized the mistake he made? Doubt it.
      Correct , Basically I left the table , Didn't want to sit there because of the trash talk that came later.
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      To be hones I didn't like SSS players in the beginning, and I still think it takes the fun out of poker.

On the other hand, you have to distinguish short stacks from the ones that strictly follow the strategy, and those who sit in with 20BB just so they don't loose more than that. When I'm at a table with 60% short stacks I usually stay because those players clearly don't know what they are doing. If I'm at a table with only 2 I stay as well because they are predictable.

I find it pretty easy to play against most SSS players because I pretty much know their calling and raising range and I know how they will react if I raise or check. I adjust my range according to them and their relative position.

The other type of short stack doesn't follow the strategy, they are mostly beginners playing with scared money, or playing loose aggressive. I love them because they just build the pots and give away those few cents they have.

I have never played SSS for more than 30 hands, even if I had to break BRM just because it lacks everything that makes poker fun. I don't make comments about them either, I just note the outcome of their hands. When they win, it is against a coinflip, or some looser BSS player. When they loose its mostly coinflips and suckouts, rarely against monsters.

All in all, play SSS if you like it that way, there will always be opposition, and you will make the money when they get mad at you:) And please please please don't buy in at a FR table with 5 SSS already there:D