This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Poker studyplan

• Hasseman92
      Hasseman92
      Bronze
      Hi!

Can someone help me with making a study plan for poker? I know the basics of positions and what hands to raise preflop with, but when it comes to putting villian on a range or calculating the best move postflop i feel like im just guessing and never know if i made a +EV choice or not.

There so much to study and sometimes i feel owerwhelmed. But i really want to find a way to learn so i can be comfortable with my pokergame even if im running bad.

How did you guys do to learn it all in the beginning?
  • 5 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi Hasseman92,
      May I suggest that the most pressing question isn't "What?". but "When?"
      Scheduling a time that is dedicated to Poker study will make that study time more effective than just randomly deciding, "Oh, I'll study poker a bit now".

On to what...
      If you haven't done so already, go though the "No Limit Hold'em lessons overview".

Next: How...
      Go through each article thoroughly. Rather than just reading them, work the examples until you understand them.
      Following your study session, play a couple of hundred hands looking for spots to apply what you just learned. Even if you are on higher limits, 1-tabling NL2 Fast-Fold lets you do this at low cost, and fairly quickly.

I always seem to forget that a lot of people like Sit-and-Go tournaments. If that's your thing, there is a SNG lesson overview also.

Don't forget the live coaching sessions.
      Follow the forum thread English Community Coachings & Streams Schedule to keep informed of the upcoming sessions.
      Be sure to follow to the PokerStrategy.com twitch channel

There are also videos, many of which are recorded coaching sessions. Use the "search" drop-down to make it easier to find ones that interest you...

All the best,
      VS
    • Hasseman92
      Hasseman92
      Bronze
      Thank you for your answer, its much appreciated!

I will start over with the "No Limit Hold'em lessons overview" ond only continue if i fully undestanding.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      If you find something you don't understand, be sure to post a question.

All the best,
      VS
    • CptJokerFish
      CptJokerFish
      Bronze
      Analyse different board structures and create flop cluster.

If you know how to play on A47 then you know also how to play on A58 for example. Try to find patterns.
      A pattern would be if a solver says for example that you should cbet with your gutshots 65% of the pot and with mid-pairs 33% of the pot.

You can insert a custom range for pre and postflop where you think how your opponent would play then you get the optimal strategy against the opponents strategy.
      Try to memorize these patterns and learn how you should play your range and where you can exploit your opponent.
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      An old thread like The Quick Guide to Skyrocketing Your Poker and Life Productivity could be useful as well I think.

Cheers,
      SDK1987