Stacks:
      UTG ($101.5BB) 102bb
      UTG+1 ($237BB) 237bb
      CO ($89BB) 89bb
      BTN Hero ($100BB) 100bb
      SB ($100BB) 100bb
      BB ($103BB) 103bb
      Pre-Flop: (1.5BB, 6 players) Hero is BTN :As: :Ks:

UTG raises to 3BB, 2 folds, Hero raises to 10BB, 2 folds, UTG raises to 25BB, Hero calls 15BB

So I decided to call his 4bet because I didnt want to go all in against UTG.

Flop: :Kd: :6s: :Tc: ($51.5BB, 2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

I checked behind. I assume his range consists of AA, KK, QQ, AK. I beat only QQ so I wanted to keep the pot as small as possible.

Turn: :Qd: ($51.5BB, 2)
      UTG goes all-in 76.5BB, Hero folds

This isnt a good card at all. On the flop I was beating QQ now I dont beat anything, so I think call wouldnt be profitable move. Especially against his overbet all in, which is more often a valuebet than a bluff.

Final Pot: $128BB
      UTG wins $126BB (net +$24.5BB)
      Hero lost $25BB
  • 6 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      I think you played the hand well. Another option would be to just call in position with AK to keep his range wider post-flop.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • la55i
      la55i
      I think this is played ok.
    • CucumbaMan
      CucumbaMan
      Silver
      Yeah, well played. I don't understand villain's line here at all...
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Gold
      i would just call preflop.
      3bet is not bad, but if he never 4bets any worse hands (say AQ), i would just fold to the 4bet.
      there's no guarantee he even 4bets AK/QQ (specially as this is a full ring game) and it's going to be very hard to get any value from worse hands when you hit.

this is exactly what happens when you play AK against a super nutted range: you hit a K, but even when the opponent checks you can't valuebet, because he can have traps and it's hard to extract even one bet from QQ.
      or you hit a K, opponent bet shoves and shows AA. or you hit an A, but the stacks only go in when it's a split or worse, he has the "sick cooler" with AA.
      basically, you only win small pots and when the stacks go in the best you are hoping for is a split. that's not a good spot to be in.

tldr: it is not fun to play AK postflop against very tight ranges. this is not ok.
    • RentzEst
      RentzEst
      Bronze
      But why not bet Flop ? I would bet flop and if he re-raise me I fold . Turn shove is easy fold to me .
    • lfcmichael
      lfcmichael
      Silver
      Really interesting and tricky spot.

If we just call the original raise preflop, then with what do we 3-bet a UTG open? Just QQ+ or even KK+? There are only 6 players here, so surely his opening range isn’t as tight as FR?

I can certainly see the logic of just calling, but then we also start offering good odds for the blinds to come along too.

I’d still prefer to 3-bet. If we believe that he only ever 4-bets AA and KK, we can still choose to fold. But this is NL2 and people turn up with crazy hands.

As played, it’s now really awkward on almost any flop, whether we hit or miss. Turn is a nailed-on fold.