Pasting Tables (Excel) into the Forum.

• EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I'm having a 'senior' moment and can't seem to paste an excel table into the forum, despite having done them plenty of times before.

I seem to recall you choose the "Add Code" function, but what do I paste inbetween?

code:
      ???????

Was it a single saved Excel sheet, sheet saved as Text?, saved as csv? copied via notepad? etc.

My columns are currently all wonky, if you know what I mean lol :D

Thanks in advance,

Bart.
  • 5 replies
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hey Bart,

Would it be the location of the file on your computer that would need to be inserted between the marks.

Regards,
      -Steve
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey Bart,

You simple highlight the text in excel, copy it and paste it into the forum. Put a code tag at the front and a [/code] tag at the end and presto.

The real challenge however is getting the columns to line up while doing that pasting. One thing is sure if you have e.g.

Names | Points

as columns they will never line up correctly due to the names having different lengths and it not converting the columns widths correctly. As such you would need to switch them around to

Points | Names

which then works perfectly. I also got a couple of new grey hairs when I tried to move my international league lists into the forum and the trick was simply switching the order of the columns and inserting empty columns in between them to make the spacing better :)
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Genius, thanks Soy, yes that is it, the length of characters in the first column.

Thanks mate.

Bart
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      if it's not too big I would post it as a screenshot :P
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mishuq
      if it's not too big I would post it as a screenshot :P
      Thanks mishuq, appreciate your suggestion. Unfortunately the two things I'm trying to do at the moment are biggies, but will definately bear in mind.

Another alternative is to post it on my own website somewhere with a link to the forum I guess, but bit fiddly.

Just like poker variance, these things are sent to try us, sigh lol :D

Thanks,

Bart.