[NL2-NL10] NL50 98s

• brundoo
      Known players:

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9:club: , 8:club:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, BU folds, SB calls $1.75, BB folds.

Flop: ($4.50) 4:club: , 8:heart: , T:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.00, SB calls $3.00.

Turn: ($10.50) 3:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($10.50) 9:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $4.00, Hero calls $4.00.

Final Pot: $18.50

his flop play convinced me he wasn't on FD.
      crying call on river ok?
  • 4 replies
    • alejandrosh
      edit: didn't see that "smallish" bet is almost all in :rolleyes: probably a fold is better since the odds are not as good as I first thought.
    • Nunki
      I'd open-fold 98s unless I was sure that ALL the players behind me were lkely to fold should I raise. You might also be able to play your hand if a really bad station is likely to give you action but even so, playing 98s with 20bb's is marginal if not -EV versus even the worst players.

Originally posted by brundoo

his flop play convinced me he wasn't on FD.

Why? You know virtually nothing about villain and after all: don't passive players c/c with draws?

Versus an unknown you can hardly be expected to make a cogent decision on the river. I'd call because we don't know anything about this player (a bit fishy maybe) and I'm a station. There are also a lot more hands without any :heart: 's than with. Folding is also fine.
    • brundoo
      those little number of hands seen him play he wasn't passive at all,specialy preflop.(maybe I needed to fold)
      on flop :if he had flush draw he would almost always c/r to not let me fold turn heart card( or this is wrong thinking??)so instantly I thought AT,KT,67,QJ . problem is if there were some heart cards in his hand.
      I think I got the odds to call on river if above said is right and why didn't he bet more on river,to get all my money??
      so I took long time to call and did it .
    • Gerv
      HI Brundoo

With these kind of stats of Opponent, an open-fold is a serious considering. Openraising this is quite questionable but I won't steal aganist a BB/SB who is quite loose even though he is passive.

I would have called on the river as well to make a note of it, quite nasty board but you can beat Bluffbets and single pairs.

Best regards,