What should I do RIGHT NOW?

• whateverdude
      whateverdude
      Bronze
      OK, as usual I wrote a freakin' novel, then realized I will get much less responses that way, so decided to cut the crap and just give the facts and the question. I chose SSS because I thought it's simplicity is going to spare me a bit from the annoyance of the possible bad beats at lower stakes, cause people call with anything. It didin't.

Now I am down to $36 from my starting capital(unlocked the other $50, playing on Fulltilt 0.05/0.10 btw) and I got no clue what should I play right now. Lost $19 today, the last 6 of which I lost while being on tilt. I thought I had this tilt thing under control untill today, cause today the bad luck was just horrible, I will spare you the examples of bad beats.

My plan was to play SSS till I can build up a BR that I can play BSS on medium stakes with, and then switch to SH BSS, thinking that with SSS I will get annoyed at fish beating me with shit hands less, and that I will exploit their looseness and lack of skill better, but guess not, cause here I am with $36 left in my BR, with no way to invest more in the next 5-6 months.

Should I go on playing 0.05/010 SSS and wait for the variance to even itself out, or should I play it safe and go to lower limits now? Is SSS better than BSS at lower limits, or have I made a wrong choice in the first place ?
  • 11 replies
    • Alafoe
      Alafoe
      Bronze
      You should play NL25 cos the rake on NL10 is double and that should be the main source of your problem. Dont eat me for this answer=) )
    • Jumbles
      Jumbles
      Bronze
      Full tilt changed their rake recently. They also added lower stakes than .05/.10. So it could be easier if you drop down while the beats are affecting you and concentrate instead on playing correctly (losing less might mean a loss doesn't hurt as much).

However, my advice would be to take a break and get back to playing poker when you're more up to it. Having such a negative association with the game at this point in time could seriously affect your play and increase the risk of going broke.

Also, realize that SSS will mean you see more bad beats, not less. If you want to continue playing it, accepting this fact will help you a great deal.
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      your question is kinda difficult to answer. you'll find no bss player is gonna advise you to play sss and no sss'er will guide you towards bss...
      however, no matter what your final decision will be, my advice would be for you to play a maximum of 2 tables at once for now. it may get you to insanity if sss'ing but imho this way, apart from the fact that it's easier for you to avoid ending bankrupt you'll be able to make more reads on your opponents, focus more on the optimal decisions and finally go up with slower but steadier steps.
      gl !
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Originally posted by Alafoe
      You should play NL25 cos the rake on NL10 is double and that should be the main source of your problem. Dont eat me for this answer=) )
      Rake at NL10 is now only 6,66% at FTP so if you plan to play SSS stay at NL10. You can try FL/matrix SNGs maybe i dont know really is up to you.
    • whateverdude
      whateverdude
      Bronze
      Taking a break longer than 1-2 days is not an option, plus I am pretty sure I got the tilt problem under control.

It's just that I am scared if my BR will survive this downswing. That's all. I am afraid if my BR will survive this downswing. I think I answered my own question, lol. I am afraid if my BR will survive the downswing, thus the solution would be to move to lower limits, to get at least to $40(20 BIs for 0.05/0.10) and then try 0.05/0.10 agian, and if I fall under 40 go to lower and so on till I finally get to the dreamed $100 and play 0.10/0.25 heh.
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      You asked what should you do RIGHT NOW...and imo

1) STOP PLAYING RIGHT NOW! Take a break, at least a day or two. Totally walk away from the game. Last thing you want to do is risk what you have left due to tilt

2) Go back to the Strategy articles and re read them...let them penetrate your thoughts...study study study...and when you're done that...study one more time

3) If you have tracking software, review it. Look for the BIG losses and go over them as someone who is reading someone else's hand history. If you think of it as someone else's, you'll be much more objective. Did you play it right? Did you raise OOP or with a marginal hand? Did you get frustrated on the flop and overbet or were you scared and checked it? Answer as honestly as you can, then go to #2 above

4) RELAX. Its a game, and there will be times when you do everything right and still lose. Learn to realize that and accept it as part of the game.

5) When you DO head back to the tables, do so with proper BRM. If your bankroll dictates you to move down a level or two, DO IT!! Let it tell you your next move, don't assume you'll recover at the same level you've been playing at, or worse, move up a level to try to recoup your losses.

The last thing you want to do is play at a level your bankroll can't support, and the very first hand you're dealt is a bad beat again. It will only cause you to erupt again.

Take a break...review the strategy articles as well as your own stats, learn to relax, and use BRM as your guide.

Hope things work out.
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      Originally posted by whateverdude
      Taking a break longer than 1-2 days is not an option, plus I am pretty sure I got the tilt problem under control.
      Famous last words. Its obvious you don't have it under control if you are refusing to take the time for a break.
      It's just that I am scared if my BR will survive this downswing. That's all. I am afraid if my BR will survive this downswing. I think I answered my own question, lol. I am afraid if my BR will survive the downswing, thus the solution would be to move to lower limits, to get at least to $40(20 BIs for 0.05/0.10) and then try 0.05/0.10 agian, and if I fall under 40 go to lower and so on till I finally get to the dreamed $100 and play 0.10/0.25 heh.
      Oh boy...do you EVER need a break.

again...good luck with whatever you decide to do. I do hope you take the advice others are giving you to heart though.
    • Jumbles
      Jumbles
      Bronze
      1-2 days can be fine, but you shouldn't be dreading returning to the tables. In the past, I've found taking in several videos in one session a good remedy. Get a lot of strategy and get me in the right frame of mind for playing again at the same time.

I would ask that you think about whether you're putting yourself under undue pressure, though, which could be damaging.

This article might help: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/psychology/943/
    • Alafoe
      Alafoe
      Bronze
      Originally posted by slikec
      Originally posted by Alafoe
      Rake at NL10 is now only 6,66% at FTP so if you plan to play SSS stay at NL10. You can try FL/matrix SNGs maybe i dont know really is up to you.
      Sry. Its nice move from FULLTILT! I didnt know.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze

Also always think I got tilt under controll... but probaly lost like 100$+ or so to tilt this month. If you tilt on one day, you will also tilt on the next.

Anyways yeah just move down. Your BR will survive any downswing as long as you are able to move down in time.
    • whateverdude
      whateverdude
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the input, I know I'm gonna be the 2837912391314th guy saying it, but DAMN, this forum kicks ass, I've visited lots of forums where most ppl are intelligent and mature and stuff, but this one is NUMBER ONE when it comes to constructive criticism and good input.

I took 1 day(got down to $17 first tho :( ) off, which I spent reading articles and reviewing my hands and got to two conclusions:
      1) I've got a LOOOOT to learn, and am doing lots of mistakes. I am not having a downswing, just playing BAD.
      2) SSS is not for me, my biggest weakness in poker is lack of discipline and my biggest strenght is my intuition when to bluff, or when somebody is bluffing. Both say that SSS is a bad idea.

So I read the silver article about moving to Shorthanded, printed the table with starting hands and sat on a 0.01/0.02 6max table. After an hour or two added a second table. One of the reasons I moved to SH is that I am used to it live, used to play 0.05/0.10euro with friends almost everyday after school, and they were all fish, with pretty much the same playstyle as the ppl on the micro limit tables.

Played the whole day, NEVER EVER not following the tables, and now I am back to $38 and decided to go on playing SH. Tomorrow I will have the whole day to play, so stay tunned for updates, heh.