This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

How to disguise ones skill level?

• xJDPokerx
      xJDPokerx
      Basic
      Hi,

I've recently been called out as a strong player at a few circles I play in, and I was looking to figure out good ways to appear fishy without losing too much value. I've been trying to limp a bit more than usual, but people are still able to catch on.

Any good strategies you guys use?
  • 7 replies
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Yeah, donk limp/call Flop, donk limp/call Turn, donk limp River, think long and fold to raise
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Tbh the modern way of poker will look fishy to a random guy with underbets, overbets and donking
      I'd say just be friendly with everyone, keep the banter up, don't be a nit and you can stay in games while playing really well too
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Near the beginning of the session do something blatantly stupid and feign embarrassment.

For example, bet 1 BB OTR with air (the so-called "Post-oak bluff".
      It is really funny when it takes down a pot, doesn't cost much, and makes you look silly when called.

Cheers,
      VS
    • anduke
      anduke
      Bronze
      Some great advice here already. Being friendly and relaxed sounds like your best option to go with. Try to avoid explaining strategy or scolding others for bad plays though. "Post-oak bluff" is a great concept too and you don't lose much value either.
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      Tell them that your favorite hand is J7 because it`s scientifically proven to make full houses most often
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by figeljfigelj
      Tell them that your favorite hand is J7 because it`s scientifically proven to make full houses most often
      Do the study yourself in full scientific terms, using a sample size of 17 hands :coolface:

Best of luck,
      VS
    • GridironAssassin
      GridironAssassin
      Bronze
      If you are playing live make sure they hear you playing some Nickelback or Creed on your iTunes and you will be golden ;) they will instantly think you suck