This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Am I good, or just lucky? Profit Challenge #2 - €10k profit!

• Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze

It's been just over a month that I finished my first challenge. €1000 profit in poker. Now it's time for a slightly bigger challenge, making €10k profit. I don't know how long it will take, but I give it 2 years as a maximum. I think that should be doable!

So for you that didn't read my first blog/challenge, I'll give a quick recap:
      Started playing NL2 in march, went up till NL10 but after failing my 2nd shot at that stake I gave up and took a month for about 2 months.
      After that I came back at NL4 and this time I went up to NL10 succesfully (started the shot at november, became a regular in december).
      At NL10 and with some smallfield MTT's I managed to reach the goal of €1k profit.

After the challenge I kept playing and January was quite a good month!
      So let's hope that continues.

The plan
      In the meantime I am playing a mix of NL20 at Microgaming and NL25 at Unibet. Have about 20k hands total at those stakes now and so far all is going well. If my winrate keeps above 6bb/100 after 80k hands I will take a shot at NL50.
      I am also mixing in some small MTT's, I am mainly playing €1 - €5 buyins. Sometimes bigger buyins when qualified too.

The goal
      Very simple! Making €10,000 profit from today on out!

Why this blog
      As you may have seen at the plan, I play mainly on untracked sites and I need motivation to track my own results. At Unibet this is quite simple cause you can just request your stats, however on microgaming this isn't possible (I found out today) so I will be a little more strict to tracking my results there as well.

The results so far at Unibet have been like this:

The other results at Microgaming I am not able to get but from now on out I'll track them myself.

The begin balance:
      Unibet: €1215 + €5 in TICKETS
      Betsafe: €815 + €10 in LOYALTY POINTS
      Ladbrokes: €135 + €30 in TICKETS

Total starting BR: €2,200
      Goal: €12,200
      (Yes I did some withdrawing to make the numbers this nice...)

I will give a small update on the bankroll every week, and at the start of the month I will give some numbers on played hands, played MTT's etc.
  • 35 replies
    • AgapieGheorghe
      AgapieGheorghe
      Bronze
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot Gheorghe!, nice to have you have the first post at my blog again!! Nice banner :f_drink:
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Good luck with reaching 10k profit on the cash game tables :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      Thanks SDK! Not the best start however, update incoming...
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      Week 1

I have never had such a bad week as this week. Let's go game by game.

MTT
      I played a total of 13 MTT's since the first post (not really much I know), I cashed in 0. So with average buyin about €5 that's down some...
      I did win one bounty however of €1.69 so got that going...

Cash Games
      Played really little hands, about 1k at NL20 and am about BE there.
      However at NL25 all the hands went the wrong direction. Down 5 or 6 BI. I was even losing a bit of my confidence in my game. I got myself in a lot of hard spots and I think I made the wrong decision almost everytime. (I ofcourse don't know about being right when I folded).

I am not gonna share the bad beat or cooler stories that made this loss, but let's say it this way: The money is with the fish, so I hope they return it to me at some point.

I did make one tilt call against a fish at the end of my last session, so that costed me one stack. I think I was just too fed up, normally my mental game doesn't allow for that kind of decisions so hopefully will get back to my zen mode.

Qualifiers
      One game did go well, however and that were the qualifiers. I played more than usual (36) and did have some good numbers there luckily. The problem is, although I'm doing very well in the qualifiers, if I can't cash a single of the MTT's they lead to, it will be -EV :f_thumbsup:

So, to end this update, I just think that this was a really bad week for me, nothing to worry about, don't think I lost my ability to beat the games... Just keep grinding and results will (eventually) come.

The plan: This evening will be a small MTT session again, hopefully some better deepruns this time... The rest of the week will be more focus on cash games and qualifiers for the MTT series at Unibet coming month.

Bankroll:
      Unibet: €1013 + €120 in TICKETS
      Betsafe: €814+ €8 in LOYALTY POINTS
      Ladbrokes: €128 + €20 in TICKETS

TOTAL BR = €2103
      Change:-€95
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      WEEK 2

This week was great again:f_thumbsup: :f_thumbsup:

First of all I want to mention that I am not 100% sure yet, but I have the feeling that I am going to make MTT's my main game from now on out. The plan for this week was to play one MTT session and then focus on cash games the rest of the week, however I found myself very eager to play MTT's instead of cash games. So in the end I only played just enough cash game hands to qualify for the €5,000 freeroll on Ladbrokes this week.

Reasons I want to change MTT to my main game are very simple:
      1. I have more fun playing them
      2. I have seen lots more crazy stuff in MTT's then in Cash Games.
      3. I can put in more hours (when playing cash games I always stop after 1 or 2 hours because I don't want to play anymore then)
      4. I put a lot more hours in Cash Games last year but still my profits from MTT and Cash Games are very close to each other.

The main thing holding me back always was the amount of time they take, and that I don't have that much time. However I find that I can put in 3 or 4 sessions each week, which is enough for me.

This week, I did very well in the €5 small field MTT's!

I got second in the €5 Black Hole, which had a total entries of 266. And I won the €5 Wormhole twice this week. That one typically has 40 entries, but the second time I won it didn't make the GTD by 25% so that was nice as well! (Total buyin was €145, GTD was €200).

I played HU 3 times this week, came in as 2/2 every time, however the HU in Black Hole was really hard, as the opponent had a 5:1 chiplead, the first good spot I found was opponent opened 2.6x, I defended with 85s, I flop an openender with backdoor flushdraw, he cbet's, I shove (effective stack was about 25bb), he had KK and I didn't improve, the other HU matches were a bit easier as we were about 50bb deep, although I didn't have the chiplead. The first time, my opponent just gave up 80% of the time on the flop so was very easy to exploit. The second time I had a somewhat better opponent, but he shoved his nutflush blocker into my flush in the end so that's all she wrote for him. (He was somewhat better although he did fold to 3bets way too much).

I also played a good amount of qualifiers again this week, however didn't go as well as last week. I played the €10 to €50 qualifier a total of 3 times and bubbled twice. Won the 3rd time. I came to some very nice conclusions in them... I did some analysis on 2 big stacks, 2 shortstacks on a 3 tickets GTD bubble and I found that the optimal play changes so much depending on how much your opponents know about ICM. For example one time I bubbled I shoved in a spot in the BTN, later I checked it with ICMizer, it showed that I should shove 56% there in equilibrium, however SB opponent should only call AKs and TT+. In the end I did get called by ATo, so I checked what I would shove if he calls ATo+, 88+, A9s+ and then it showed that I should only shove about 10%, which just shows how hard the qualifier format is, perfect play changes so much depending on your opponent.

So I am just happily playing and happily learning more and more about MTT's, plan is to continue with that next week.

Bankroll:
      Unibet: €1304 + €161 in TICKETS
      Betsafe: €809+ €3 in LOYALTY POINTS
      Ladbrokes: €145

TOTAL BR = €2422
      Change:€319
      Total profit: €222 (2%)

This week will either be a very good week or a very bad week, as I will use my €50 and my 2 €25 tickets. So let's hope for a deeprun in one of those!

Coming next week: My februari stats!
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      Btw a question, is there any MTT bankroll expert? Right now I am playing mainly €1/€2 rebuys and €5 freezeouts/re-entrys, only higher when I won a ticket. My question, from which bankroll is it possible to mix in some €10 re-entrys/freezouts of some €5 rebuys.
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      February OVER
      (Week 3)

I write quite early this week, wednesday already... The reason is that I won't play any poker untill sunday. I'm going on a small little trip untill sunday afternoon. Right now I have some time to spare and february is about to end, so I think it's a good time to sum up February and look at some of my stats.

As you might know if you read this blog, more than 60% of volume is played at Unibet. I like the games, the promotions and the anonymosity there, however it has one BIG disadvantage, you can't track your game. It's a bit harder to improve if you can't see what you're doing wrong ofcourse. But I have a plan for that, that'll follow soon.

This week I only had time to play 2 sessions. One on sunday and one on tuesday. And read the title of this blog, am I really that lucky?? Cause I won another small field MTT!

Biggest wins!

78 unique entries, haven't checked how many rebuys it had, but doesn't matter a lot. The good thing was, it was a deep payout MTT, only top 5 got paid. I was very lucky that there was NO bubble at all, I was about 4/6, when the shortstack at our table busted, at the same time, another guy at the other table busted as well -> We were ITM without a 'real' bubble. It was a €2.20 R+A MTT so invested a total of €6.60 in it.

I always like to talk about the HU match if I got HU in a MTT and I must say from all the HU I ever played this was the easiest to read opponent but the highest variance. His line was pretty standard. Shove any two! As you can see in the 'WIN' picture, he shoved Q4o for over 15bb last hand. I called with 66.

Not as good results as last week though, second best result was 4th in Black Hole again (220 entries). I did video the final 3 tables of this one so if anyone's interested I might do some analysis on those and upload them.

Furthermore, I have 2 more hort stories from this weeks sessions:
      The comeback
      Sunday I was playing a €500 added MTT at unibet, buy-in was €5.50 and it had about 120 entries so pricepool almost doubled because of the added money. I was chipleading the entire thing for quite some time, but then I lost with AKo preflop allin two times in the same orbit and was left with less than 1.5 big blind. My position 40/40. The average stack was about 13 or 14 big blinds at that time. I got dealt Q9o the next hand, someone with a bigger stack shoved and I decided to use his fold equity (noone will fold to a .5bigblinds I think), I won that hand and was back to about 5 big blinds, got dealt 33 in that hand, shoved got called by some Ax hand and doubled up again. Somewhere in the next orbit I got my third double up and I was above average stack again! Ended up 9th for €43, lost about all my stack at the bubble (12 got paid) but I really don't know how to play when you are 9/13 with 10bb when there are 2 people just folding to get in the money and 2 people also very short.

The ICM-nightmare
      The most interesting MTT I played this week was the Double Trouble, that's a freeroll you get a ticket for each week you lose €20 or more in cash games (I still had that ticket from two weeks ago). Payout structure: Top 100 get €40, that's it. So when there were about 120 people left I was 105th so I needed to steal blinds once more to get in the money! (Everyone was extremely short as it was a turbo as well, average stack was below 10bb, my stack was 5 or 6 bb). I did get that steal through and after that steal I was in the top 70, I hoped that was safe to fold in the money then. I did see a great play by two bigstacks at my table, they both had about double my stack so they must be top 30 at that time for sure. One opens, the second one shoves, the first one calls and they flip A9o vs KQo. The bigger stack wins and the shorter bigstack must have broke his computer.

Bigger buy-ins
      Ofcourse it wasn't all perfect this week. Although most of my games went pretty well, my higher stakes games went ''not that great''. I played 2 €10 events and I used the first of my 2 €25 tickets. I did get a total of one mincash of €18.50 in those 3 MTT's so that's not optimal. I still have a €50, a €25 and 6x€10 tickets left, 3 of which are gonna be used for a €10 rebuy addon event. Let's hope for some deepruns in those!

I also decided to move my Ladbrokes funds to Pokerstars, for 2 reasons -> The ladbrokes software made me time out a lot, my cards didn't load in time which forced me to use my time bank when I was in an early position. Also the tracker I use has some problems with ladbrokes for some reason and I play untracked enough already. Ofcourse the fact that my results on Ladbrokes were very negative (-€25 this week) and I never won anything more than a mincash also helped the decision.

Because it's the end of the month I will also share my February stats:

I am very happy about them! But ofcourse I did run over EV this month, and got some nice overlay (especially in the qualifier sattelites). I don't expect that I can keep up a 129% ROI.
      I must also say that I was on holiday for the first 10 days of february so results are only from 11th till 28th.

MARCH GOALS
      - Play 120 games
      This might seem easy as I had 122 games this 18 days, however a lot of those were qualifiers which take a lot less time, I would be happy if I can get 120 games or more in march as well.
      - Play 2 games per session on either Stars or Betsafe.
      I prefer my main site, but the advantage of Stars and Betsafe is that I can analyze my play there. I'll use Stars to analyze my play in bigfield MTT's and Betsafe for the small field ones.
      - Analyze one deeprun per week.
      I am doing really good on the studying part, only thing lacking is studying my own game and finding my own leaks. I should buy ICMIZER or HRC somewhere this month to start doing that deeper and more.

That's it, let's continue in march!

Bankroll:
      Unibet: €1465 + €136 in TICKETS
      Betsafe: €949
      Pokerstars: €124

TOTAL BR = €2674
      Change:€252
      Total profit: €474 (4,7%)
    • AgapieGheorghe
      AgapieGheorghe
      Bronze
      Hey GL in March ! :f_drink: And have a nice trip !
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      Thanks Gheorge! Hope you run good in march too! :f_drink:
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      March - Week 1

Small update from week 1, everything went smooth again, happy about the results!

I played the big tickets this week, managed to get a mincash in the €25 buy-in and 2 bounties in the €50 PKO, I wasn't happy that I had to play a PKO event for the €50 ticket but there were no other ones left...

One big bummer is that the Unibet Open Series is almost over and I still have 4x€10 ticket for it... I calculated to participate in 2 rebuy+addon events, however I was on that little trip on the first one and I was sick on the second one, so what I'll do with them now is register to some qualifiers to the €100 rebuy event, as that's the only thing I will be able to do with them. Some of those qualifiers are flips, the results from those will not be tracked in my excel sheet, the results from the Turbo Qualifiers will be tracked however!

Best results from this week:
      - 3rd in Black Hole for 130€
      - Final 2 tables in Big11 for $150 (it really sucks to bust at final 2 at such a big field event!!!)

Bankroll:
      Unibet: €1716 + €40 in TICKETS
      Betsafe: €555
      Pokerstars: €708

TOTAL BR = €3019
      Change:€345
      Total profit: €819 (8,2%)
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      Small update:

I didn't win a €100 ticket unfortunately, played 2 of my 10€ TIX, but after that I heard that I could also extend the tickets to the next Unibet Online Series, so I'll do that...

The qualifiers were good value, lots of overlay and lots of just people not understanding poker, however it was 3min blind levels, so you also need to get lucky a bit...

New TOTAL BR: €2999

I also skipped the sunday session out of tiredness, I think I'll do some studying instead as that needs to be done too. I of course need to reach my March goals!
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      I can't get my signature fixed, what am I doing wrong???

I tried with and without https:// and with and without ''
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      MARCH WEEK 2
      The biggest tourney I ever played!!

First of all, I did not play any regular MTT this week, it's a shame but I had no time this week, every evening I was home late, so that left me just playing some qualifier tournaments (these typically last much shorter) and cash games on the side.

I ran pretty well both on NL10 and NL20, didn't play NL25 yet as I feel my cash game was a bit out of practise.

The biggest result of this week:

So this will be tonight at 19:00 CET, the biggest tourney I ever played!

I even won two of them, but the second one is exchanged to 10x €10 Supernova Qualifiers, one of them is already used but that means I'll have 9 chances to qualify for the Supernova again! Let's hope for a deeprun in this one!

Besides the two €100 Tickets I didn't get any big ones in the qualifiers, only managed to get some €10 tickets and a few €5 which I already used. No €25 or €50 tickets :(

Bankroll:
      Unibet: €1714 + €200 in TICKETS
      Betsafe: €641
      Pokerstars: €705

TOTAL BR = €3060 + €200 in TICKETS*
      Change:€41
      Total profit: €860 (8,6%)

*Decided to let tickets out of my main bankroll from now on because although they have a value, they are high variance and you can't cash them in.
    • AgapieGheorghe
      AgapieGheorghe
      Bronze
      Somebody in the spanish community started a blog/challenge yesterday. He started to play MTT with a 50$ BR i´ve spend all evening watching on Twich his run on a 0.55$ bubble rush, he made final table and finished 5th.

I wish you good luck tonight ! I hope you will make final table :f_drink:

For your signature
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      Thanks George it works now! Didn't see that box before!

Wow making a final table on Pokerstars is so hard as the fields are enormous, I have managed to get final 2 twice but not that last one, which sucks cause that's where all the money is!

I am trying to learn spanish a bit for myself, so if the blog is any good I would like to read it, I think reading something you are interested in can improve your skills in that language a lot!

Also have some sad news and some good news:

Sad news: I cashed a total of 0 MTT's in my sunday session, this had 2 reasons, first being that I played way too many tables, I couldn't focus and my laptop started lagging a lot so I had to fold a lot of hands because I couldn't get there in time. Second of all I ran really bad. That also means no cash in the €100 MTT sadly. I hope my other sessions this week will save me cause I don't like to report losing weeks!

Good news: I already made another €100 ticket out of 2 more tries with the €10 Qualifier tickets, still have 7 left, so hope I can make another one this week so I can exchange one into qualifiers again and play the other one.
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Bronze
      MARCH - WEEK 3
      A minor setback

I've been playing quallies, MTT's and a bit of cash this week. In cash I did okay, in Qualies I ran superhot, but in regular MTT I ran extremely cold.

That means that my cash balance is down quite a bit, however my ticket balance is up!
      It feels like a small nice little downswing, but I'm sure I'll get out of it, maybe even tonight!

I made the decision to also try and qualify for a live event. As I'm not too experienced in live poker yet I will try to qualify for the Unibet UKTour, that package is only €500 and should be doable this year. Ofcourse trying to get to this event will hurt my cash balance a bit, but I don't mind that, I would love to get some live experience in a tour like this. Also as I'm doing so well at the quallies lately I think this format will suit me.

Bankroll:
      Unibet: €1616 + €330 in TICKETS
      Betsafe: €629
      Pokerstars: €678

TOTAL BR = €2923 + €330 in TICKETS
      Change:€117
      Total profit: €723 (7,2%)

Tonight will probably be the last session on pokerstars since they are changing the fees... I am also thinking about switching my Betsafe funds to RedKings as I will be able to trrack that account then.

Next week, a more detailed month overview.
    • AgapieGheorghe
      AgapieGheorghe
      Bronze
      Tim what Qualies means ?
    • anduke
      anduke
      Bronze
      What a great journey to follow along. Making me think about trying Unibet again myself too. Keep up the good work, you will reach 10k in no time for sure! ;)