This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Bankroll Building

• ShadyRider
      ShadyRider
      Basic
      I have started the process of building a live poker bankroll from scratch. Being in my mid 30's, a father and a husband, I cant just throw $2000 bankroll together and start grinding the way I want. My question for the forum is, Do I risk what I have starting out with ($300) on the 1-3NL game or grind the low limit stakes (3-6 limit) until I gather some buy in's. Thanks for reading
  • 7 replies
    • AgapieGheorghe
      AgapieGheorghe
      Bronze
      Hello ShadyRider. Wellcome to PokerStrategy !

If you only start with 300$ there is no reason to start with the 1-3NL games. I know that this is what you play right now, but you should start on a lower game and as you start winning some $$$ you can start to climb in stakes.

Good luck ! :f_thumbsup:
    • ShadyRider
      ShadyRider
      Basic
      Thanks for the reply. You confirmed my thoughts. Low stakes grinding is slow but a few good sessions and I should be climbing. Thanks
    • anduke
      anduke
      Bronze
      Just ignore the temptation and build it slow and steady. Less stress makes your game stronger too and building confidence to comfortably play at the higher level with sufficient funds.
    • ShadyRider
      ShadyRider
      Basic
      Originally posted by anduke
      Just ignore the temptation and build it slow and steady. Less stress makes your game stronger too and building confidence to comfortably play at the higher level with sufficient funds.
      Very good insight. The temptation is there. I'm a decent hold'em player and usually just play live once month. Win/lose and put the money back in the bank. (keeps the wife happy) Playing cause I love the game. Now I guess I'm trying to go semi pro. Build, play bigger and earn a monthly profit.
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      If you start with a bankroll of $300 I would start with NL10 (5c/10c). Then you have 30 buy-inns for it and that should be enough for cash games. Are you planning to use it for online or live games?

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • Post removed

• ShadyRider
      ShadyRider
      Basic
      Originally posted by SDK1987
      If you start with a bankroll of $300 I would start with NL10 (5c/10c). Then you have 30 buy-inns for it and that should be enough for cash games. Are you planning to use it for online or live games?

Cheers,
      SDK1987
      Thanks for replying. It is a live bankroll, starting from the bottom. I'm trying to grind my way up.