The Fongie Poker Show

• bobdefete
      bobdefete
      Bronze
      your blog is great ! Seeing how good your doing right now and helping others (me :) )
      You can only get better if you keep working that much !

keep it up ! :D
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Hey bob! Thanks a lot! Hope you're doing well and keep posting those hands (although maybe in the right section next time :P ) :)

By the way, I played a session of 372 hands today. The result? +$0.05. Hell yeah. Not even going to make a real blog post about that session, nothing extraordinary except that I payed 7 dollars to see how one of the regs I keep seeing plays a flopped set (what kept me calling and curious was that he bet so smaaaaall on turn and river after raising the flop). Meh, I was about to fold river but then decided not to. Pretty stupid of me, could've broken the 700 mark! Oh well, there are more days to come :)
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Yesterday: Small +$7 or so session.

Today: Bad beat day. -$10 or so (still did pretty well considering I lost all the main hands of the session).

Current mood: Semi-tilt after getting my 2pair sucked out on by the river pairing the board, taking away a $13 dollar pot which would have saved the day.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      17/3-22/3

Hey! Finally time for an update. As you might have noticed I've decided not to make a big post with a graph all fancy after ever session, because I want to use the time to actually play poker instead. Instead I will make little short posts instead if I have something to say during the week, and make a big one every sunday.

This week has treated me OK, I played pretty much breakeven during the weekdays ("bad beat day" springs to mind), but the weekend has worked its charm as usual :D There's not much more to say actually, except show off some graphs...
      I wanted to move up to NL25 when I had 50 stacks (1250 BR), but I might do it sooner actually... Not sure if it's a good idea, but 30 or 40 stacks might suffice. At any rate I will play at least 20k hands first, but I'm closing in on that... and yesterday I hit 30 stacks for NL25! :)

End of session 17/3-22/3:
      Bankroll: $694-$758
      Profits: +$64

3196 hands
      +10.0 PtBB/100
      +38.4 PtBB/hour
      +7.7 $/hour

Well I like the look of this graph, especially happy about the non-showdown winnings. Playing 22/19 so far and its working well. Might still want to Cbet a little less, I have 87% Cbet flop, which is OK but could be a little lower, especially when I'm tempted to cbet against people I just know will call anyway. So that is the Leak of the Week

Thanks for reading :)
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      24/3

Played a small session, and was going to end 1 stack up if I didnt get dealt AA on my last hand. Ended up stacking off to a set... can you blame me?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy hand converter:

Known players:
      SB:
      $6.75
      BB:
      $13.75
      MP3:
      $14.70
      CO:
      $6.40
      BU:
      $10.00

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, A.
      Hero raises to $0.4, CO folds, BU calls $0.40, SB folds, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.25) 4, K, 2 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.00, BU calls $1.00, BB folds.

Turn: ($3.25) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.00, BU calls $2.00.

River: ($7.25) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $7.00, BU calls $6.60(All-In).

Final Pot: $20.85.

So I ended up about +$0.5 heh, well, that's alright I guess. Semi-disappointed atm though since I felt I was playing well and deserved that stack :)

Btw, why can't I put a link in my sig? The code shows up in stead of the link :/
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      To fix your sig go to: Profile>Signature>click "options" button>uncheck BBcode box

Seems like you are doing very well at SH and Im interested in switching to it, whats the difference between FR and SH NL10 BSS?
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Woot, I'm retarded :P Thanks!

About FR vs SH, well, I'm not really the best person to ask since I haven't played very much FR at all (cough cough, I know, I *should* have before playing SH :P )

I know that people say that it's like playing FR but without the first 3 positions, but I can say some things that I think are true in SH from my experience (note that my experience is not very great, but still)

- No tight SSers! Well, no good ones atleast
      - Easier to isolate fish (might sometimes catch too many at a time, but still)
      - More fish!
      - More action
      - More marginal/tough postflop situations due to looser open raising range. This is true for me atleast, I play 22/19 - if you check soucys blog he's playing 18/12.5 which is working great for him too, which leads me to my next point..
      - Many different profitable playing styles. I'm not sure how good LAGgy players do on FR, but I've had the feeling that most successful FR multitablers are TAGs with good postflop skills (able to lay down those big hands in the right spots). In SH you can find people play profitably with 15/13 aswell as 23/20, and you need to be able to adjust to this, and also find your own style!
      - Stats = win! I wouldn't want to play without stats SH, in fact, most of my leaks are playing against unknowns (often at the start of a session when I don't have so many hands on people).

If I were you I'd just watch some SH vids here to get into the mood, and try to work out some sort of open raising ranges for all positions (Once you have these, you can mess with them to your liking when adjusting to the table youre at - tight/loose/fish etc). It is probably a good idea to start out with a tightish range and then add some more hands that you like as you go, instead of starting out too loose. I just watched all the SH vids from here, attended some coachings to get a feeling for which hands are ok from which position, and started playing. Now after 15k hands or so I have both started raising some more hands, and taken away some hands from my raising range that I had troubles playing.

It's all about your own preferences in SH which is what I like :tongue:
      Hope this rambling post helped you a little atleast :tongue:
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Your post helped me a lot, I appreciate it.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Dont worry Fongie, i missed FR too :P .

If your interested in watching videos i advise Tribuns Low to Midstakes videos. The are good for Low stake SH play and i learnt a lot from them. :)
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Yep those are great I watched em twice (atleast) before I started :P

24/3
      Played a small session (35min) after making that post earlier, and it went *pretty* (read: really) well! :D +$16.4 isn't too bad for 35 minutes work, I would say. Lots of premium hands in the session, although they weren't my biggest winnings (they seldom are I'd say). Off to fencing now!
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      Hi Fongie, I've just read through your blog - nice work man, good to hear that you're doing well :) .

I am also trying to get some experience in SH play before taking my next shot at NL25 - me and my bankroll are not well prepared yet for the huge swings.

Also wanted to say thanks for your input in the hand evaluation forums - really good job!

Cheers and gl.
      Pete
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Hey Fongie. Nice blog you got here.
      You seem to be doing pretty well in SH eh? Maybe we'll meet up in the high stakes in a near future =)

I took a few fencing lessons myself some 5 years ago or so. But I quit after my first fight, which I lost. lol Losing wasn't the reason for me quitting though, hehe.

Cheers man, keep it up
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Hey guys, thanks a lot for posting and for your kind words! I'll be hoping to meet you both up in the high stakes in the (maybe not so near) future :D
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      25/3

Wow, what a session hahaha... Well, I started off nicely but ended in about -$1 in the end - lost AKs vs QQ AI preflop in one of the last hands.

But this is the first time I've stuck by some fish like this. About halfway into the session I got stacked for 150bb in a 3betted pot by some guy who hit a straight with Q9o against my 2pair - a guy I'd been trying to stack for a while then. This made me continue playing longer than I was planning (tilt? dunno, but I didn't play as if tilted atleast), and after a while I found myself playing heads-up with him, and also heads-up with another guy at another table - both 60/15 type of guys! This was largely profitable for me, and even more so when another midstack joined one of the tables, who was just like the others (I had previous stats of him too). The profit was somewhat lessened by the Q9o-straight-guys habit of flopping trips and slowplaying them to the extreme to the river and then overbetting it - he did it to me twice and I lost some money from it. My revenge came though when I doubled up through him with a flopped straight for 150bb.

I kept playing against these two fishies but didn't get any hands - and on other tables I lost KK vs AA and AKs vs QQ preflop which is kinda meh, but still, it happens and I'm pretty happy with my session today anyway. Too bad it didn't end in profit, but the profit will come another day.. :)
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      26/3

....... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

/lifetime tilt

So I sat down to get me an afternoon session because I cannot play later. What happens? Well, I'll show you my 3 first playable hands...

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, A.
      MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, 2 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.7, MP2 raises to $1.5, 2 folds, Hero raises to $4.1, MP2 calls $2.60.

Flop: ($8.40) 9, 5, 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.90(All-In), MP2 calls $5.90.

Turn: ($20.20) 3 (2 players)

River: ($20.20) 8 (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.20.

Results follow:
      Hero shows a pair of eights (K A)
      MP2 shows a flush, queen high (Q T)
      MP2 wins with a flush, queen high (Q T).

O.M.G Well, I thought cool a bigfish - I can take his money later!

Next hand:
      Preflop: Hero is BU with 6, 6.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.3, CO calls $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, 2 folds.

Flop: ($1.05) 5, Q, 6 (3 players)
      MP3 bets $0.80, CO calls $0.80, Hero calls $0.80.

Turn: ($3.45) T (3 players)
      MP3 bets $3.00, CO calls $3.00, Hero raises to $8.9, MP3 calls $2.65, CO calls $4.20(All-In).

River: ($25.20) J (3 players)

Final Pot: $25.20.

Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, sixs (6 6)
      MP3 shows a pair of queens (K Q)
      CO shows a straight, queen high (8 9)
      CO wins with a straight, queen high (8 9).

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I won't ever call flop with a set EVER AGAIN! I guess the CO bastard had some equity with a double gutshot but I doubt he even realised this. I decided to finish my session right here after this hand.

But what happens? I pick up another hand while blinding out..

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, A.
      MP2 raises to $0.2, MP3 calls $0.20, CO raises to $0.4, Hero raises to $1.5, 4 folds, CO calls $0.30.

Flop: ($2.75) 8, 8, 6 (2 players)

Turn: ($2.75) 4 (2 players)

River: ($2.75) 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: $2.75.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, aces and eights (A A)
      CO shows three of a kind, eights (A 8)
      CO wins with three of a kind, eights (A 8).

Yeah whatever, I quit poker :tongue: well not really, but I hope this doesn't affect me when I start my weekend session tomorrow. -$17.75 is my LOVELY 9 minute session today!!!!
    • rex99
      rex99
      Bronze
      that's really hard...

today in 163 hands i lost 3.45. That's -46bb/100.

i hate ipoker!
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      Hi Fongie, I saw you were promoted to a hand judge, congrats man!

Too bad to see a session like that oO. I hope you'll get it to a steady 45-degree upswing ;)
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Hey rex99! As you might imagine, my 9 minute session today was even worse :P But it happens! SSS is good for practicing anti-tilt tactics - although just to just stop playing is probably the best..

Thanks radyan! I was about to comment on that :D It seems someone decided to prevent my life-tilt by choosing this moment (5 minutes after making the post about my session) to make me a hand-judge. Yay! I have godly powers on the NL10 forum now, and now I can finally tell people to SHOVE! with more credibility :D

Does this count as having reached my goal "Regain gold status"? It's kinda cheating I guess :tongue:
    • soucy
      soucy
      Bronze
      Welcome as an additional hand judge Fongie. Do you have Skype? Maybe we can discusss hands and tactics sometime to improve our game and make very good hand judgements.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Thanks soucy, that's a great idea I think! I just got skype today actually, you (and anyone else who wants to talk :P ) can add me. Nick is "fongie.max" (wow that sounds horrible now that I have to write it down)