This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] 6MAX - What was the correct play on the river?

• rafds
      rafds
      Silver
      Below a hand which I played questionable preflop which made my next streets more difficult, but than again I play to learn...
      If any of my logic is off, please fill me in on my mistakes.

PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
      Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.09 (105 bb)
      MP: $2.73 (137 bb)
      CO: $1.32 (66 bb)
      BU: $2.02 (101 bb)
      SB (Hero): $3.24 (162 bb)
      BB: $4.67 (234 bb) VPIP:25 PFR:21 AF:7 3b:9.5 (sample only 53 hands)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with Q Q
      2 players fold, CO raises to $0.07, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.06, BB 3-bets to $0.24, CO calls $0.17, Hero calls $0.17

Pre-flop: So not sure why I wasn't 3B pre but anyway that is the way the hand was played. I decided to call the M3b because of the high 3b percentage (allthough small sample, I suspected it to be a squeeze: all his 3b were in the blinds)
      I expect his range to be: any pair, suited connectors 78+ & KJ+

Flop: ($0.72) 6 J 5 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks

As I "masked" my hand preflop I wasn't planning on starting donking so check was my logical action. Actually I was expecting a C-bet from BB which I would in turn call.

Turn: ($0.72) 4 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.37, BB calls $0.37, CO folds

With the checks on the flop I was willing to show some aggression and bet halfpot.

River: ($1.46) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.46, BB raises to $4.06 (all-in), HERO??

As I just got a call on the turn I put his hand at a small pair so I raise small to get value from these hands.
      The hands after this shove make his range more like sets or slowplayed AA-KK. I expect not enough bluffs to make this call profitable. Do you agree?
  • 10 replies
    • RubbyDubby
      RubbyDubby
      Bronze
      What would you beat?
    • rafds
      rafds
      Silver
      Good point, only bluffs or way overplayed AJs or AJo...
    • RubbyDubby
      RubbyDubby
      Bronze
      I don't think even AJ. he would have bet the flop for sure with these.
    • MatoStar
      MatoStar
      Bronze
      I would 3bet preflop and then stack off, because we are out of position and it will be very hard for us play QQ in multiway spot OOP especially on the boards like Kxx or Axx and we have a value hand. And I would bet on the river quite bigger. And easy fold on his shove of course.
    • DjolusVicenus
      DjolusVicenus
      Bronze
      I was told that on flop with QQ in average you see 40%over card, A or K... so with QQ idea is to stack pre flop and not go trick, especially in NL2, NL5...

I was playing nl2 month ago, there are some amazing illogical plays I saw, so I dont even think to put opponent on ranges as much... just play out your hand as best as possible...

when BB squezed you should went all in snap!

I would lead flop with 35% if I went your line!

as played river is fold.

I dont think I saw a single bluff river rise on NL2 and NL5...
    • LacsapR
      LacsapR
      Silver
      I agree with Djo
      3bet/shove preflop and lead flop definately.

As played these massive overbets OTR are very rarely a bluff...I'd also fold.
    • la55i
      la55i
      Yea river is a fold. But this hand is played quite weirdly on previous streets also.
      You do seem to know that this should be 3bet preflop, but the biggest mistake I see is this: " I decided to call the M3b because of the high 3b percentage"

If stats over a small sample make you do this kind of things, I suggest you set your tracking software to show HUD only after you have 500 hands.
      50 hands doesn't even give us accurate VPIP/PFR, it only lets us make some guesses. And there is no way you have seen him 3bet more than one or two times in this sample size. The sample size we need is larger than many would expect and changing our playing style because of stats on a small sample is common beginner mistake. That is probably because coaches like to tell how to exploit villains' stats but then they fail to mention that we need hundreds or even thousands of hands before we should start really adjusting vs villain.
    • nitrol
      nitrol
      Silver
      Preflop we should be 3B vs SB and 4b vs the squeeze.
      On river we can fold vs the raise.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Clear 3bet pre vs a fish, and 3betting QQ in these positions should be your default. After getting squeezed, I would definitely backraise at <150BB. Here at 160bb it's awkward, I don't mind calling.

Flop: Consider leading, because you can play honestly when there's a fish in the hand, and if BB folds you can just fire 3 barrels

Turn: You have the virtual nuts, go big and bet 3/4-full pot

River: He's repping J9 and 99 only, don't ever bet some inducer size and fold to raises unless you're sure he's never bluffing
    • CucumbaMan
      CucumbaMan
      Silver
      As played, fold on the river.