This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] 3-bet pot OOP

• kappozo
      kappozo
      Bronze
      PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
      Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

tempano10 (UTG): $2.00 (100 bb)
      cheeznic (CO): $2.00 (100 bb)
      szelidit (BU): $5.63 (282 bb)
      AlanLoppes (SB): $2.10 (105 bb)
      STOCKY8A (BB): $2.70 (135 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (AlanLoppes) is SB with Q Q
      1 fold, cheeznic (CO) raises to $0.05, 1 fold, AlanLoppes (SB) 3-bets to $0.19, 1 fold, cheeznic (CO) calls $0.14

Flop: ($0.40) 8 9 7 (2 players)
      AlanLoppes (SB) bets $0.22, cheeznic (CO) calls $0.22

Turn: ($0.84) A (2 players)
      AlanLoppes (SB) bets $0.49, cheeznic (CO) calls $0.49

River: ($1.82) A (2 players)
      AlanLoppes (SB) checks, cheeznic (CO) bets $1.10 (all-in), AlanLoppes (SB) calls $1.10

Total pot: $4.02 (Rake: $0.14)

Showdown:
      cheeznic (CO) shows T 9 (two pair, Aces and Nines)
      (Equity - Pre-Flop: 19%, Flop: 45%, Turn: 30%, River: 0%)

AlanLoppes (SB) shows Q Q (two pair, Aces and Queens)
      (Equity - Pre-Flop: 81%, Flop: 55%, Turn: 70%, River: 100%)

AlanLoppes (SB) wins $3.88
  • 9 replies
    • RubbyDubby
      RubbyDubby
      Bronze
      I like your play (flopping a straight is rare).

Would you also have called with a blank on the river?
    • sdf256
      sdf256
      Bronze
      Personally I would give up OTT.
      If you dont wanna give up OTT then definitely give up OTR. What he calls preflop? Suited Aces, pocket pairs.. Those Aces beat you and I dont think he would play his PPs like this.
      But like I said, OOP I would give up OTT.
    • RubbyDubby
      RubbyDubby
      Bronze
      Villain has called a c-bet on a 789 board
      What I think that this means is that he has either hit his straight or is drawing to a straight, and does not have AA or KK and probably not 77 88 99 78 89 79.

So the A is kind of a blank (or you are hosed anyway but that would be bad luck)
      Because of that I think betting the turn is mandatory (deny him his equity).

On the river: Now villain has called also the turn (only called) and another A hits.
      That is even more a blank that the previous one.

Checking might generate a bluff and it did.

Again, I really like this hand and how its played
    • MatoStar
      MatoStar
      Bronze
      I agree with sdf256, give up on the turn is absolutely fine. Because if we bet on the turn, we don't get many calls from worse hand. So we haven't value bet and turn our hand into a bluff isn't a good option imo, because we have still showdown value. And fold river. On microstakes you won't see often bluffs here, especially on the river, because many weak hands he will checkback and definitely he will bet value hands and rarely he shows some bluffs here.
    • sdf256
      sdf256
      Bronze
      What straights can he have after he called a 4X 3bet? Maybe JTs Idk, but I would be folding that preflop. If he had a straight I dont see him only calling 2streets on a FD board. He would want to protect his hand.
      Then there is TT, JJ, 66 that is drawing into a straight. He might have those ofc but I dont think he would shove that OTR. Basicly those hands have showdown value against your busted draws and if he bets them OTR he will get called only by a stronger hand and will make you fold all those busted draws.
      BUT then there is a whole bunch of Aces in his range. Suited Aces that were drawing into a FD and hit the trips are more likely to shove the river than some bluffs with showdown value. I mean he doesnt have pure bluffs here. And It doesnt make sense to turn his showdown value hands into a bluff hands.
      You also need to consider that river is an underbluffed street.
    • RubbyDubby
      RubbyDubby
      Bronze
      Question: If you have AA / KK / 77 / 88 / 99 / 78 / 79 / 89 / TJ
      and the flop is :8d: :9d: :7c: and opp bets into you, do you just call?

even made straight are vulnerable here.

I agree on one :Ad: x suited but that one gets less likely too with the second A on the river (it's kind of a blocker :D )
    • sdf256
      sdf256
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RubbyDubby
      Question: If you have AA / KK / 77 / 88 / 99 / 78 / 79 / 89 / TJ
      and the flop is :8d: :9d: :7c: and opp bets into you, do you just call?
      I wouldnt have AA, KK in this spot I would 4bet pre, but to answer your question. I would raise. Of course it depends on the board and opponet. On this one I would raise for sure because I would want to protect my hand against a FD. In general I dont like slowplaying, but I am aware of the fact that just calling in position might be a good option sometimes, but its usually on a dry boards.
    • kappozo
      kappozo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RubbyDubby
      I like your play (flopping a straight is rare).

Would you also have called with a blank on the river?

I don't think so, the ace on the river was crucial to call his shove OTR. This villan was calling too much in 3-bet pots so I was assuming this rang PF: QQ-TT, 9h9s, 9h9c, 9s9c, 8h8s, 8h8c, 8s8c, 7d7h, 7d7s, 7h7s, AQs+, KJs+, QTs+, JTs, Th9h, Ts9s, Tc9c, 9h8h, 9s8s, 9c8c, 8h7h, 8s7s, AJo+, KQo

I bet the flop and I think he would raise hands like two pairs+, he called and let's assume he range of calling: QQ-TT, AQs+, QTs+, KdQd, KdJd, Th9h, Ts9s, Tc9c, AJo+

When I check the turn, he bets, and I think he would bet all his range, I canot see one cobination for him check back this board.

On the river came another A and he shoves me all in and I think he maybe check me back some aces, and maybe AK would 4-bet pre flop, AQ I'm blocking several combinations, AJ a think he would not shove like that, so even if he shoves all his range he had 17 combos that what was beating me and 22 combos that I'm beating him, so I had more equity OTR.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I check this flop with most of my range

1. Getting raised sucks hard on this board. You die to so many 2pairs/straights, and best case scenario you'll get it in vs a combodraw.

2. He's gonna bluff here super often since you're going to be check/folding with your AK/AQ type of hands most of the time. So you need to protect your checking range with some check/calls and check/raises

3. Turn: Probably check here. You have very little value barreling the Ace. I know you think the Ace is a good card to barrel (indeed you have more AX than your opponent) but at the same time you shouldn't be auto-barreling all Ace turns.

4. River: When the river pairs and the flush draw misses, you have an easy check/call. THis is a very interesting hand to note, this guy turns 9X into a bluff which is so bad, cos you should almost never be folding TT-KK, AX here.