ace high when u missed the flop

• ViZon
      ViZon
      Bronze
      how should i play if i have an ace and a high kicker but the flop missed me vs 1 opponent.
      there is like 60% chance my opponent also missed the flop and i see players often bet with ace high when they missed the flop.
      i usually do a small bet and fold if he reraises me or if he raises first
      is this the right play?
  • 6 replies
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Poker is so much more invloved than your question leads you to believe..

Before an answer can be attempted, think of the following other questions....

Game type?
      Limit?
      Pot Size?
      BSS or SSS?
      What is considered a 'high' kicker?
      Preflop raises?
      Your position?
      texture of the flop?
      Do you have a draw?
      Your table image?
      Villans table image?
      Villans range?
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      If you have raised preflop, get one caller and missed the flop, a so-called continuation bet may be correct.

It's usually sized between half potsize and potsize and aims to take the pot down right there on the flop, using your preflop aggression and the fact that the opponent likely missed the flop as well. It depends on what does the board look like and who your opponent is (dont c-bet against a hardcore calling station who calls every bet if you totally missed), but it's usually not a mistake to use it. You can read more about it in the articles in the strategy section. This one can be a good start:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/1032/
    • LMOJ
      LMOJ
      Bronze
      You will almost never go wrong by making a continuation bet. Continuation bets will win you a lot of pots in the current micro and low NL games. Most people like to call pre-flop raises with a lot of hands, and then fold to a continuation bet almost 75% of the time, even when you make it painfully obvious you're not protecting a made hand, like making a half-pot-sized bet on a board where a flushdraw is possible.

People capable of fighting against continuation bet abuse are the exception nowadays. If you find that a specific player fights back pretty often, maybe you're in front of one of those exceptions. But also keep in mind that the poker world is changing permanently, if people in general start fighting back too much, maybe it's because this trend is finally coming to an end. But, until then, you can make a continuation bet 100% of the time against a single opponent and sometimes even against two opponents, and assume they have some big hand if they raise you.
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      I find one of the most important items is not so much making the continuation bet but having the willpower to completely shut it down if you are called.

Sometimes if you are flat called the temptation to 2nd barrel can be very strong especially if the turn is in someway scary.

A continuation bet alone is almost always a strong play - it disguises when you do hit and means you take down more pots. However if you then get overly aggressive and get stacked it is not worth it. Remember it is just a bluff.

- My response is aimed at a NL10, Full Ring, Big stack player. For SSS it is much less important because realistically if you are called on a cbet you are also commited to the hand.
    • batmanbatmanbatman
      batmanbatmanbatman
      Bronze
      For SSS it is much less important because realistically if you are called on a cbet you are also commited to the hand.

BU(Hero) SB BB MP2 MP3

Preflop

MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero raises, 2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls
      POT: 16,5 BB.

Now a continuation bet should definitely put Hero in the position of spending more than half of his stack, in which case it is probably better that Hero goes directly All in from the flop as a continuation bet.

If you play with fish this will work and they will get more scared by your all in than by a normal continuation bet. They would probably even fold some made hands, not only trash, like top pair with high kicker because they will put you on overpair at the preflop raise.

If you play with good players this might cost you your stack as they know this is the right method for continuation bets and they will always play check/call, some even with good draws or with middle pair. I think the solution is: when you have reads of a good player(or calling station, or even aggressive fish), don't do the continuation bet unless you have a made hand.

On another hand I've seen many times, on a table with 4-5 SSS players or when the CO and/or BU have high steal rates, UTG to UTG+2 limping high pocket pairs and waiting for a raise behind(which from the stats and reads looks very probable). Then they would either reraise preflop or even call the raise from the stealer and then play check/raise on the flop knowing that they will get their continuation raise. When you don't have a made hand, against certain players, check behind is really the best thing you can do.

Reads and stats are becoming more and more important in the latest period, even on micro limits. More important than standard tactic anyway.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Bet the same amount you would bet if you made a strong hand.